Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Pray tell us what is the other?

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm trying an order of what is the only new last that I know of: the P3. We'll see if it meets any real need.

Otherwise, the main things I can think of are adding wide and narrow versions of the existing lasts, which cover a huge variety of styles already. It turns out that I fit well into 3636 and Budapester, and am continuing an experiment with P2. But if there were a wide fitting of the F, I might never have to buy from London again-- not that I'm likely to need too many pairs in the rest of my life.

If there also some way of creating a template of some kind that allowed people to know what size/last they might fit, that would be great. The only reason I was able to get past all of this was a visit to Budapest. Had I not done that, I probably would have wasted many shipments of trial shoes.

If the website were a little updated-- perhaps showing all styles cross-referenced by last, that would be useful as well. Not every model looks equally good on U, F, 3636, and Budapester.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

3. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Dohány Street Synagogue

My girlfriend wanted to go to visit some friends, thus she was in charge of deciding what we did.

4. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

My first pair of Vass when I received them. It turned out to be 4 sizes too big... never bothered to go through the hassle of ordering again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Interesting discussion here after Tombrones inquiry. I think that the thing that most of the people adresses, easier way to pay and more information on the MTO-process on the website are both good things that Vass would benefit if they did. FOr example they could start using Paypal and just inlcude an upcharge of say 15 euro to cover the Paypal costs, I still think that people would se it for the simplicity.

And regarding a last between U and F, am I the only one who likes the idea? Sure, the do offer a wide variety of lasts, but that sounds like something that would appeal to many of the people who go for the "regular" british styled shoes.

And at last, Vass DO OFFER DIFFERENT WIDTHS. This has been clarified here before, but sounds like it needs to be done again. The regular width Vass use is F, but you can order every size and every last in width E (narrow) and witdht G (wide). Rezso has told me that they actually can make H-fit (very wide) as well in some cases, but then the original shape of the last change very much.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

6. sm31

sm31 Senior member

What's the P3?

7. Concordia

P3 is apparently made to fit someone who likes the 3636 but wants a longer (and slightly narrower) toe, as on the P2.

8. Concordia

Well, that's the first thing to clear up on the website, then.

9. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

A last between the U and F is definitely needed. The U is one of the most problematic chiseled-toe lasts in terms of fit (high instep, tight toe box), while the F seems to be quite the opposite in terms of fit and toe style.

Is it possible for Vass to show some preliminary pictures of how this new U-F last hybrid will look like?

10. striker

striker Senior member

Isnt the K last something between a U and an F last? It is already available AFAIK.

11. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

Isn't U and K exactly the same in terms of fit?

What Vass needs is a hybrid U-F last that's a little chiseled and yet does not suffer the fit problems that the U last has.

12. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

MTO Paris would be basically another proxy but with a website...that's how the guy works currently with G&G and St Crispin. He has 6 models in each that he has ordered to his specs....if you like them, you buy. Otherwise you order through him. He has slightly edgy tastes...so I bet there will be a lot of Vass U Lasts in his stock.

But I can tell you if you don't speak french you will have a fun time communicating with him. It's not that he can't speak english but when dabbling in shoes that cost upwards of a grand, you don't want any doubts as to whether you were perfectly understood. He is also pretty brusque (but harmless)...which I just love about the french.

13. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

That's a shame...they are beauties.

Now that you know your size, maybe you should give them another chance.

14. rikod

rikod Senior member

I don't understand very well what is the hassle about ordering, it's just sending an email.

"Sir, I want this shoe

reply - yes we can make it for you in 1 month price is xxx

ok, no problem, do it"

Then you send a transfer and receive your shoes, I really don't understand what is the problem with that, you can set up a wire transfer from any bank account.

15. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Good point, though each would produce fantastic makeups that would still, at a higher price, be worth it to many buyers. "Rip-off" is relative for any shoe over a 100 bucks in this world at this point. If they could be priced near where Epaulet prices Carmina, then they'd be a definite hit.