1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Senior Member

Oh man, Im loving this :) Grats on both the shoes, the monks looks really good.

2. TheTukker

TheTukker Distinguished Member

Yes; custom duties.

3. n-domino

n-domino Senior Member

My first pair of Vass.

Theresianer High Boot in Cognac Scotchgrain, F-last, Vibram sole - by far the best fit in a RTW last.

[​IMG]

4. Hampton

Hampton Distinguished Member

Lovely!

5. justsayno

justsayno Distinguished Member

I paid EU 590 including shipping to US for a cordovan budapester MTO directly from Vass.

I felt that was a fair price, especially in my case where Vass will take back shoes that are not made to satisfaction.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

6. n-domino

n-domino Senior Member

I have a question:

Do the shoe trees only come in full sizes? I ordered my boots in a size 41.5 and the trees included are labeled a 41. That is assuming the boots I ordered are indeed a 41.5. They fit perfectly, nonetheless.

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

These look excellent. I also like to color combination. Wear in good health.

8. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

Ha ha. A little weird they definitely are. Thanks!
    Great looking. Thanks for the extra photo.
    What's the feel like of the scotchgrain from Vass? Is it a soft leather? I recently got a pair of scotchgrain boots from another maker, my first experience with the leather, and it is a fairly hard leather. Durable, though, I'd think.

9. mbeebe

mbeebe Member

Yes... or at least this has been my experience. My 42.5's came with trees marked 42. The trees have little spring in them and form a perfect fit once inserted into the shoe.

10. bertie

bertie Senior Member

I've done the same math to Canada. Duty on shoes is 18 percent I think which offsets VAT deduction. I've used a proxy as I keep seeing a wash in the delivered cost. In addition FedEx seems to add random brokerage fees which can add up. Please let us know whaurgeur final cost is as a point of reference.

11. n-domino

n-domino Senior Member

I would say the scotchgrain is relatively soft; the lining, however, is very soft. The outer leather is pliable but definitely has a certain amount of toughness - after one wear for approximately two hours the shaft has already conformed well to my lower leg. I purchased these for foul weather use - and everyday use as well - so I expect the leather to hold its own. Time will tell.

12. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

Thanks for the details. They look great. Enjoy.

13. n-domino

n-domino Senior Member

Thank you - I'll make sure to enjoy them. I'm already planning my second purchase. Vass may become my primary source of shoes. Mr. Kuti is a pleasure to deal with, the prices are very reasonable, the order and delivery at 4 weeks is impressive, and the shoes themselves are fantastic. All in all a very good experience.

14. MRMan

MRMan Senior Member

Thank you all for your help. I will inquire about VAT reduction, proceed with the order, and cross my fingers for reasonable customs/brokerage fees. It sounds like Vass does their part to minimize those fees. At least I had a chance to speak with the infamous Mr. Kuti. Fantastic gentlemen, very helpful, and quick to respond.

15. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Well however is all shakes out, I am sure you will enjoy your new shoes. Pics mandatory. [​IMG]