• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That is true, I've posted this pic many times (sorry), but here you get a better idea of the suede colours

Shoe in the middle is mid brown and shoe on the left is dark, almost identical to the carmina suede (second from the right)

nephew,
thank you for posting good looking suede family

Jakezero

Reaction score
I'm very close to ordering my first pair of Vass shoes. I think I will be getting the pikachoo austerity brogue boot in one of the cognac colours, but I think I ought to ask for some advice on the subject of lasts. I'm considering the F-last, but do any of you think the F-last could work on a "casual" shoe?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my Appreciation contribution - one pair arrived and another inbound.

First up is a pair that, frankly, I don't expect to have broad appeal. They are BOLD. They are very different from anything I own. And I absolutely LOVE them.

Budapest Oxford, in antique cognac combination finish, with goiser stitch and sturdy double-oak sole (all pics from the vendor - Sammy at Ascot Shoes, used with permission):

Inbound is a pair of very deep oxblood double-monks:

Can't wait for these to arrive!

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here's my Appreciation contribution - one pair arrived and another inbound. First up is a pair that, frankly, I don't expect to have broad appeal. They are BOLD. They are very different from anything I own. And I absolutely LOVE them. Budapest Oxford, in antique cognac combination finish, with goiser stitch and sturdy double-oak sole (all pics from the vendor - Sammy at Ascot Shoes, used with permission):
Well, I for one think these look great. Are these U last? I really like the selection of leathers. The colors work very nicely together. The Goyser stitching and the double leather sole also look great. Please post more photos of these on your feet when they arrive. I'm getting excited to make another order from looking at the recent photos here. Wearing my oiled green Alt Wiens today.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Well, I for one think these look great. Are these U last?

I really like the selection of leathers. The colors work very nicely together. The Goyser stitching and the double leather sole also look great. Please post more photos of these on your feet when they arrive.

I'm getting excited to make another order from looking at the recent photos here.

Wearing my oiled green Alt Wiens today.

Agree - have ogled those three-tone oxford budapesters many a time on eBay!

Frank, your weird oiled olives look even more awesome on the foot. Real ****-kickers in the most exclusive-looking and cool way possible. That's a real win right there.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Kermit shoes are fantastic! Green would never have occurred to me, but those look terrific with jeans. This place is dangerous.

Yes, the Budapesters are U-last, the double-monks are K.

Here's one shot on-foot - having a little extra fun with the socks:

And a close-up:

MRMan

Reaction score
After lurking this thread for some time I have finally gone ahead with ordering. I thought I'd deal with Vass directly and then compare total cost and ease of transaction to working with a proxy on future orders. Dealing with Vass has been surprisingly simple and pleasant, but I'm starting to have my doubts re: any cost savings.

My inquiry: London model with stitched uppers, F-last, 6125 dark cognac calf, double to single sole, flush metal toe taps
Cost: 420 euro + 30 (trees) + 20 (toe plates) + 35 shipping (Fedex) = 505 euros ($675 CAD/USD)

Even using CurrencyFair (which I signed up for after reading some positive press) and assuming a miracle of no duties/brokerage fees (which has never happened for me for anything marked > $20 and I order overseas or from the US all the time), it looks like proxies win (assuming they still run at $650). Maybe that assumption is wrong and you can forget this whole thing.

Am I missing something? If there is a VAT deduction then I may be out ahead, but somewhere I read Vass doesn't do that. That price is more than fair for the apparent quality, but I've just always thought there was a premium when dealing with proxies.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Sounds to me like you're a little bit ahead of the game in pricing, though without being able to compare this specific model as offered from another source, it's hard to say.

If they are shipped by FedEx, you WILL get dinged for duties AND taxes AND brokerage fees (assuming you are in Canada). Which adds up to ouch. I avoid couriers whenever possible and go by a trackable postal method with local postal delivery at my end. Odds of not getting gouged are far better than miraculous.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
They should deduct VAT from everything but the shipping charge (that's a service delivered to them, so not deductible as goods for export outside the EU. They refer to VAT deductions on their pricing so I can't see why they wouldn't. VAT in Hungary is 27 % so:

(420 + 30 + 20) / 1.27 + 35 = 405 Euros = $541

That said, I've heard horrible things about duty and brokerage fees from couriers in North America, and I don't know what your transaction costs will be. As I understand it, Vass don't like to use the local postal service to send via EMS, because they've had problems with them. The downside (and I've found this where I live too), is that the EMS parcel delivery (used by most postal services) tends to bypass the whole customs thing pretty easily, even though it's slower. But Fedex DHL etc always end up paying the duty and claiming it back from you. Where I am, there are no fees for that, and duty is only 5% anyway. But still, it's an annoyance.

I suspect that if you're receiving via Fedex in North America, and taking into account exchange and bank transfer fees, it might end up costing you that $100 difference: the proxies who can post to you via EMS probably save you everything they make. I'd probably go direct, but if I were in America I might well use a proxy.

sdolina

Reaction score
After lurking this thread for some time I have finally gone ahead with ordering. I thought I'd deal with Vass directly and then compare total cost and ease of transaction to working with a proxy on future orders. Dealing with Vass has been surprisingly simple and pleasant, but I'm starting to have my doubts re: any cost savings.

My inquiry: London model with stitched uppers, F-last, 6125 dark cognac calf, double to single sole, flush metal toe taps
Cost: 420 euro + 30 (trees) + 20 (toe plates) + 35 shipping (Fedex) = 505 euros ($675 CAD/USD)

Even using CurrencyFair (which I signed up for after reading some positive press) and assuming a miracle of no duties/brokerage fees (which has never happened for me for anything marked > $20 and I order overseas or from the US all the time), it looks like proxies win (assuming they still run at $650). Maybe that assumption is wrong and you can forget this whole thing.

Am I missing something? If there is a VAT deduction then I may be out ahead, but somewhere I read Vass doesn't do that. That price is more than fair for the apparent quality, but I've just always thought there was a premium when dealing with proxies.
Last May I've paid 360 euros without VAT for the calf DM including trees , shipping extra.
So you probably forgot to exclude VAT

PS And VASS can mark your shoes a test samples (no cost), to reduce duties.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads