1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I understand your point just fine. That is, I understand that it makes no sense at all. Because it's not "a wee bit more". If someone said they were considering TWO pairs of Vass calfskin shoes, I'm sure you'd point out - with the same presumptively deep insight - that a single pair of St. Crispin's actually costs LESS and would be 'better made'. Then when it was pointed out that it is indeed daft to compare the cost of two pairs of Vass to a single pair of St. C's, you'd dig your heels in and say "I'd rather save a bit of money and get St. C's exquisite construction!". Too funny. [​IMG]

What you do or don't give a fuck about is of little interest to me, though it does hold some small entertainment value, I suppose.

Leatherfoot is a Canadian SC dealer. Leffot is not. Their St. C's pricing is indeed comparable and demonstrates an even greater disparity as compared with Vass than the example you put forward.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Please stop making sense.

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

Let's not be unfriendly, gentlemen. We are all admirers of the art, and I think both points are sufficiently clear. No need to mock each other.

In the interest of leather-scented harmony, I would like to invite us all to take a couple of minutes of silence, and remember why we're here: some wonders from Vass, courtesy of Mr Ascot Shoes, and for the sake of inclusiveness, love and peace, some St Cs courtesy of Leffot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Incidentally, does anyone else share my aversion to toe caps on monks? It seems rare to find a double with a plain toe. So credit to St C for doing this as it is; and similar restraint on the adelaide above it I feel shows off the texture of the leather so much more nicely.

Not that St C are renowned for design restraint! Vass have some oddities too of course. But what these two have in commin, I think, apart from the hand-welted quality, is that when they nail it, they really nail it!

I hope we're all feeling better now.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. joiji

joiji Senior member

I, uh, I can't say I like anything more than a single monk tbh. That said, I agree with you. There does seem to be a trend of everything having a captoe, which is a bit strange. I suppose it helps offset the elongated lasts we're seeing trend.

5. mimo

mimo Senior member

I like a single monk more too. But that's my thing, about the cap toe: on a double monk I think it makes it look even longer, and if I see another SF-er wearing a G&G or similar that looks two sizes too narrow and about three inches longer than his feet....

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I'm sure some share your aversion Mimo, but I think my Vass double-monk cap toes look - and fit - just fine thanks:

[​IMG]

By the way - these are the St. Crispin's boots that have been haunting my dreams:

[​IMG]

But the value equation is tricky, because for roughly the same money, I could get this pair of G&G's:

[​IMG]

AND this lovely pair of Carminas:

[​IMG]

First world problems, to be sure.

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

Roger, they certainly do.

But had they been on the same last as those G&G boots, I fear they might not.

Follow your heart; we are all individuals after all. If you weren't, you wouldn't have bought those spectacular three-tone brogues from Vass. They still make me smile!

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Fair point, that. Glad you ike the tricolours!

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

I really dislike SC's Riva last.

10. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

I am seriously considering getting this boot:

[​IMG]

I have emailed Vass directly. How long does it typically take to get a response? I want to follow up but do not want to seem pushy.

Thanks

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  11. Notch

Notch Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Rezso is in the shop from Wednesday to Sunday. He also checks his emails on Monday and Tuesday though. I have found that it takes about 2 days on average. Seems fair for someone who is flooded with emails every single day!

12. Notch

Notch Senior member Affiliate Vendor

[ATTACHMENT=6379]Vass Shoes Prices 2013.pdf (342k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Vass 2013 price list

1 person likes this.
  13. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

great. I will give it a week then.

14. Ascotshoes

Ascotshoes Active Member

Thank you Mimo - And thank you RogerP; Dan; llovelobbs and all for speaking highly of us in the past.....

Being a long time admirer of this thread, here's my contribution of some MTO Vass art for all to enjoy and appreciate.
    If you have any Vass sizing or fitting questions in comparison to Saint Crispin; John Lobb Paris;
    Corthay; Edward Green; Church's; Crocketts; Cleverley's; Cheaney...do feel free to drop
    Karl or Sammy an email.

I won't put the link of our website here in case we're not compliant with SF rules.
    But if you google for Ascot Shoes Ebay - all our details are there.

Remember to ignore our Ebay prices - as it includes the 20% VAT and a little premium
    for the extortionate ebay fees.

Enjoy.
    Ascot Shoes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. mimo

mimo Senior member

You're welcome. All the pics I posted were of models that I liked, that happen to be on eBay in my size right now. Just sayin'. I mean "thank you" is one thing....(and it's 43.5....)

[​IMG]

16. Ascotshoes

Ascotshoes Active Member

Hello Mimo,,,,,some more MTO & RTW...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^^ Oooooh, baby! [​IMG]

18. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

If everything above on the U was instead on the F, that post would be elevated to another level, still pretty good though :D

19. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am a-scurred of some of those MTOs.

20. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Some of those multicoloured shoes, esp the double monks, are just awful.