• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dlind

Reaction score
Does anyone else have shoes with rubber toe taps that can say how they hold up over time? Also does anyone know why vass doesn't want to put metal toe taps on a single sole? I know G&G does for example....

dlind

Reaction score
Beautiful! Is that the U last?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the most cost effective service providers for the required wire transfer payment method.

It would be great if you mentioned percentages, fees, etc.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What are the most cost effective service providers for the required wire transfer payment method.
It would be great if you mentioned percentages, fees, etc.

Western Union has a service (http://onlinefx.westernunion.com/). Wire transfer fee is $22, but the exchange rate is about 1.5%-2% off the market in their favor. I imagine that's going to be the case in most instances though.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any Alden or AE shoes....I had a pair of Alden suede loafers on the Van Last but they were so ugly after a few wears, I threw them away.

Oops, sorry. I was going through several pages and got names confused... I meant this one:

22 pair of Vass
3 C&J for Brooks Brothers
2 Crockett & Jones
2 Gaziano & Girling
2 Alden
2 Allen Edmonds
1 Paprika
1 Carmina
1 Salvatore Ferragamo
1 Cheaney
Vass is about 60% of total

rikod, since you've got Alden, AE, and Vass, how does your Barrie or AE 5 last compare to Vass lasts' shape and sizing?

ELG

Reaction score

Vass in black

What type of leather are these? I can never get a decent shone out of my vass'.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I haven't found this infobit yet: does Vass use chrome-tanned or veg-tanned calf uppers? I know they favour Rendenbach's soles and welts, but this part has gone past me.

Chrome tanned (boxcalf).

I don't know anyone that uses veg-tanned uppers unless it's a veg re-tan.

actually, I lie, but the veg tan ones are far more rugged and usually cow or horse, not calf.

Fiddler

Reaction score
^^ A bit extreme I know, but they started to enrage me when I looked at the **** quality of the suede. And they wouldve looked pathetic on a buy and sell ad so there you go. I even have a pair of Sid Mashburn double monks that I am over but maybe I will sell those instead as they are nice.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to chime in on the whole F and U last debate--if I was only allowed to wear one of the two for the rest of my life, I would definitely choose the F last. It is much more versatile, and much more classic. But there is no reason why one should forego the U last. To me, it fits considerably better than the F last, and is a great change of pace. Plus, it is just damned sexy.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chrome tanned (boxcalf).
I don't know anyone that uses veg-tanned uppers unless it's a veg re-tan.
actually, I lie, but the veg tan ones are far more rugged and usually cow or horse, not calf.

Crockett & Jones handgrades are made of vegetable tanned uppers, for example.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads