The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Love the Vass saddle colour...have a saddle double monk from Carmina and it's pretty insipid....I might have to slap some colour on it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012

2. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Afecinado/Affectionado

I'm not usually a stickler for spelling but you two guys have just butchered a pretty fantastic sounding word that I have great affection (maybe even an affectation) for.

3. rikod

rikod Senior member

Strange looking indeed.

Good advice, for example I always start with "London Model (#38) but with a double sole", then Last, colour etc., very simple, don't mention another maker model (chelsea is an EG shoe), in that case is better to just send a very clear photo and ask if it's possible.

Trouble: " I want an old english without heel counter, add a medallion, HAF sole with rubber heels, cigar shell cordovan with the brown tone (not greenish), and so on"

4. rikod

rikod Senior member

I do too, I can't stop looking at the colour when I wear them, it's really special.

I've never seen pictures of the Carmina saddle, but the pictures of other Carmina in shell cordovan here in the forum look fantastic.

5. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Wow!
    You said the shoe I am looking for is not an authentic Vass style.
    Still you posted a picture of said style, do you own it yourself, or have you handeled it for somebody else?

No offense taken.
    Actually back in school a lot of teachers told me the same thing.
    I could fill a whole page in one sentence, which makes the comprehension very difficult.
    I'll try to improve and keep it simple.

6. Zarium

Zarium Senior member

7. Wade

Wade Senior member

If I'm a 6.5 in barrie last and 7 in kent wang's shoes, what size would i be in vass? A 39?

8. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Hahaha...yes, he will probably remember only three out of that list.

9. rikod

rikod Senior member

Yes I own it, it's a great shoe, it's made after a Edward Green model called Chelsea. I ordered some time ago via a proxy. I wear them regularly and It's my go to shoe for formal meetings etc.

10. Notch

Notch Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'm on the verge of ordering a cap toe boot from Vass, and has some questions for you shoe goeroes out there. The boot wil basically be a crockett and jones northcote (which I can't buy because of my wide feet, really wide, EEE to EEEE). The boot will be fully bespoke, they measured my feet last time I was there. The boot will basically look like this, but in Antique Cognac: [​IMG] I was inspired by the C&J Northcote: [​IMG] Now, my questions regard the sole. The Crockett and Jones northcote used a storm welt, which is a nice balance between elegance and 'sturdiness' (for lack of a better word).The Vass sales manager told me they would have Dainite soles in January, which I hope is true because I would like to wear the boots this winter instead of waiting weeks on their Dainite delivery. What would you do: - leather sole vs leather sole + rubber topy vs full rubber Dainite sole - regular welt vs norwegian welt (since Vass doesn't offer a storm welt). Appreciate any input!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012

11. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

norwegian welt and rubber topy if you plan to wear these in snow/ice, or Dainite if only in wet/rain. Although I have no problem with leather sole on snow ice.

12. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I hope you're ordering it on P2, and get vibram sole, I have those boots in shell and vibram, perfect for foul weather

13. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Depending on the level of snow you are walking through double soles with Topy and goyser may do. I'd echo the Vibram suggestion if you are tromping through drifts. Stay away from the F last with wide feet.

14. rikod

rikod Senior member

The Alt Wien and the great New Peter Last (P2), beauty, comfort, support. The perfect shoo imo, looks even much better in the foot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    well worth the wait