The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

There was an uncouth fellow on here who was haranguing me earlier about being anal with Vass...asking for my order details to be put on a Purchase Order and emailed to me. Well, this is the reason why. While the shoes they sent you are nice (edit: ok now we know you posted the wrong pic), I believe the ones you originally asked for as per your link are waaaay better. Reszo told me if I didnt like the shoes he made for me I could send them back (at my cost) and they will make me another pair for no extra cost, I would only have to pay for extra shipping of the new pair back to me. I am sure the pair you send back they put up for sale in their shop. Don't worry, he will help you, just be nice. Good luck

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with making sure that every thing is politely and professionally confirmed in writing. Especially with a custom made product. If you are only going to accept one particular result then I would suggest working with marked up photographs. I completely understand the desire to have exactly what you ordered.

For me personally I think I prefer the Rikod method - order up what you want - take whatever wonderful interpretation they happen to send you. But I freely admit this is not going to suit everyone's criteria.

3. Notch

Notch Senior member Affiliate Vendor

If you're withing the EU then they will take it back, no problem. If you're from somewhere outside the EU, then they will also take back the shoes, but beware of customs! Hungarian custom officers are not pleasant to deal with and if you write 'sample shoe' on the box they don't always believe it!

I agree the shoes you have are nice, but I can understand that for someone who is just starting to build up their shoe collection, that shoe might not be for you.

4. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Fully agree here, I always trying to prevent possible misunderstandings by visualisation of my wishes with the pics.

Louis, if you don't like the shoes - try to sell'em and order another pair, but get a discount from Vass for their mistake with the heel counter.

5. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Unless you send one shoe per parcel....three days apart.

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you for posting

7. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Just to clarify, the shoe I marked with the red and blue circels is not the one I received but one I found on SF that was photographed nicely from the side so I could easily mark the two areas I was not sure how to name properly.
    I do not own a camera, but if I get my hands on one in the next few days, I will take a picture for you guys.
    Once again, I am not at all angry with Vass!
    The bigger stylistic failure was caused by a language barrier and myself not being as watchful as I should have been, the heel counter is not a big deal for myself and the only thing which Vass might have messed up.
    As I am located in the EU and Mr. Kuti offered to me previous to ordering that I could exchange the shoes in case they would not fit, I am still confident a solution can be found that is not of great loss for either side.
    Maybe I can exchange them, maybe I grow on them or I will just sell them for a little loss as they are still in 100% unworn condition and take it as an expense on a learning process, we will see.
    I just wanted to share so others could learn from my experience dealing with Vass directly.
    I think all of you are right, if possible one should always explain the style one wants with pictures.
    One additional thing which might be interesting for others regarding size, I told Mr. Kuti I was comfortable in UK6.5 in the C&J 337 last and asked which size he would recommend to me in their F last.
    He told me they actually offer their shoes in UK sizes as well and that I should stick with 6.5.
    The shoes that I received are neither marked in EU nor UK size on the soles.

rikod, the shoe to the left is the exact setup I was looking for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Notch

Notch Senior member Affiliate Vendor

A quick question, did the 6.5UK shoes end up fitting? Is their a size on the shoe trees?

9. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Louis - I dig the "mistake" they made. Looks very nice. If it irks you enough to return them I can't fault you for that. One thing to consider is will you "want" to wear these now and for the future. I'd let leave them unworn and ponder over the weekend.

10. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I did not try them on yet as I am unsure how to proceed with them and would like to keep them in perfect condition till I receive a response of Mr. Kuti whether he would be fine with myself trying them on.
    The shoe tree is marked "41" and sits in the shoes very tightly.

Update, as I only now dared to have a look at my mail account:
    Alongside came this attachement
    [​IMG]

What can I say?
    Merry christmas Vass!
    If your shoes end up fitting my feet in the slightest way, you have gained a customer for life.
    First class service! :nodding:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  11. rikod

rikod Senior member

Louis, don't ask Vass to recommend sizes compared to english (or any) shoes, they will give their opinion based on convention charts or something like that. I remember the first time I ordered they insisted a 41 would be fine and it was big. Correct fit just depends on many factors.

Vass does not mark MTO shoes.

I know, that is the model you wanted and I understand your disapointment and maybe nothing will change that. But that it's not even a Vass model, in my humble opinion the Old English is the best Vass model after the budapester. If it fits fine, it's perfect.

[​IMG]

12. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Could borrow the camera of my mum.
    Here you go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regarding size, I tried them on and think they are between half to a whole size too big, which makes me kind of happy, as I am not returning them solely for stylistic reasons.
    Will go with 40.5 as I think even if it might still be slightly too big I will be fine with an insole, while 40 might be too small and I don't want to have them stretched as both instep and heel feel great the way as is.
    Slippage in the heel is solely due too excess length and very lightly opened lacing with no excess volume but no pressure what so ever.
    I have some spare volume in bending area of the toe box but this is due to my very flat forefoot and I have not found a last yet that works better for my feet in this regard.

13. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

:inlove:

3-piece shoe tree is really the way to go.

14. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

15. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member