1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

Anyone know how vass stacks up with riccardo freccia bestetti?

2. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

How's vass compare to GG Deco? Can't be close right based on price point

3. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

GG Deco has finer polish and special leather colour, that's it really. Doubt the GG are better made than Vass.

4. MRMan

MRMan Senior member

As a follow-up from a few weeks ago, some of us North Americans were discussing costs of ordering direct from Vass, specifically using CurrencyFair. My very limited experience:

Shoes: 420 EUR, Trees: 30 EUR, Metal toe taps: 20 EUR, Shipping: 35 EUR
    Total: 505 EUR
    Minus VAT reduction: 410 EUR (woo-hoo!)

Cost to buy 410 Euro for wire transfer at my bank: 558 CAD
    Cost to buy 410 Euro from CurrencyFair (same day): 544 CAD (near interbank rate)

Wire transfer Canadian bank to CurrencyFair: 25 CAD (stupid, but I could find no other way), no receiving fees
    Wire transfer, CurrencyFair to Vass: 3 Euro (~4 CAD)
    Receiving fees at Vass bank: Not sure, I sent what was asked (410 EUR) and there was no complaint.
    Duties, sales tax, FedEx brokerage: 44 CAD

Total: $617 CAD - fantastic bargain IMHO

I saved a few bucks on the exchange with CurrencyFair versus direct transfer from my bank, but probably not worth the hassle of setting up a CurrencyFair account (although it is easy) unless you plan on making many purchases. CurrencyFair to Vass transfer required about 2 clicks of a mouse though.

When you figure there may be some variability in duties/brokerage, sizing issues, and the risk that Vass will send you something other than what you wanted, I think proxies provide a valuable service for a reasonable cost. Now that I'm comfortable with sizing though I will likely continue to order direct.

5. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Going to order the same shoes but due to high instep will go MTM route. Thank for the hint rikod!
    I a meanwhile got this info about the Vass' suede (from the first hands), maybe you concider it helpfull:

We are using two types of suede. The first is a high quality full grain calf skin that has been finished for use with the flesh side out in brown, light brown, blue and burgundy.
    The second is a good quality but not the same tannery. It is not as commercial as the others are using but not the French quality. These are: black, grey and green colors.

1 person likes this.
  6. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Dark Brown shell by Vass just maaayyyy be my favorite color of theirs.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

So... I have something coming from Vass.... it weighs 3.3 pounds, but I don't know what it is... any ideas? :D

8. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

If it doesn't have anchovies and extra cheese on it, I'd return it.

9. tcideneb

tcideneb Well-Known Member

Hi, which Vass model would be the closet to JL city II shoes? Does anyone have pics of the Vass equivalent ( if there is one ) in museum brown equivalent? Thanks

10. Concub1ne

Concub1ne Senior member

Good to know. I've been thinking about getting some kind of burgundy or bordeaux shoes from vass, but this reminds me that I am missing the besung blue suede shoes as well.

11. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

12. rikod

rikod Senior member

Speaking of OE plain, Saddle cordovan, U last

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  13. rikod

rikod Senior member

And something completely different, theresianer in blue calf, New Peter Last

[​IMG]

My mistake was ordering this pair with a double sole, I think a single sole would look better

2 people like this.
  14. rikod

rikod Senior member

Yes dark brown shell is great, what last?

15. tcideneb

tcideneb Well-Known Member

16. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Great colour...very understated for navy.

17. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is the laid-on heel cap, as you can see in this picture.

18. Silence

Silence Member

This model is meant to be a double-sole one, right? Is the heel lifted off the horizontal plane?

I read that singe-sole models that are made on the double sole have the heels lifted at the front. I wonder if a double-sole model will be the opposite if made with a single sole.

19. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Lovely.

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

The problem to which you refer is the "HAF" sole or two-into-one, where there is a double sole on the front of the foot that is skived away into a single sole over the waist, giving a more elegant, tapered look. With a full double sole, the extra layer extends all the way to the heel, so there is balance with the extra layer on the forefoot. But with the two-into-one, the double layer on the forefoot ceases before the waist and does not extend over the the heel, leaving the heel and sole slightly out of kilter. But if you ask, they will put an extra layer on the heel to compensate. I guess the reason they don't as a matter of course is aesthetic - as the sole in the waist area next to the heel is single, the heel looks taller if they add a layer. But they should.

Anyway, the point is that this is irrelevant to the full double sole, which should be perfectly in balance. It's just a matter then of what you like.

1 person likes this.