1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Senior Member

Very normal my friend. I experience nighmares of ill-fitting shoes all the time. Join the club!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior Member

NST on the 3636 in cognac w/ goyser welt. More tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

4. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior Member

Here's how my 1st Vass order unfolded:

I sent an email in mid-Sept. to Mr. Kuti via the address on the Vass website & got a quick response. I gave a basic description of what I wanted (NST in cognac w/ goyser welt) & my usual sizes (10.5D US/9.5F UK/43.5 EU?). 2 days later he told me the shoes would be ready in about 4 weeks. He gave me bank transfer info, but I paid no deposit.

I tried to do a bank wire, but my bank's fraud unit was super skeptical of the open-ended transfer required to cover Vass' currency conversion, so I didn't go through with it. About a month later (right on schedule), Mr. Kuti sent email saying the shoes were ready & asking if I wanted to claim them or let them be sold in their shop. He suggested Western Union for the payment.

The W. Union website is confusing, & setting up the account was kind of a hassle. I opted for the bank-to-bank F(oreign) (e)X(change) online service that charged no transfer fee, but takes up to a week. I had to call my bank to get a transaction # to confirm & finalize the transfer, which then did take about a week. The payment process probably added a total of 10 days to the process, but saved me a lot of money over the original bank fees I would've paid, & it should be easier the next time since my W. Union account now has all my info & the Vass banking info.

So, I got my shoes in about 10-11 7-8 weeks for HUF115,000/(EU395/)$548 + change, including shoe trees & FedEx shipping. No customs duties so far. The shoes were exactly what I ordered, & they fit. I'm looking forward to ordering again as soon as I can afford to.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

5. mr monty

mr monty Distinguished Member

thanks for the info :fistbump: I wonder which size Mr Kuti would have used for the U-last styles?

6. VRaivio

VRaivio Distinguished Member

ncdobson, that is one beefy pair. What I love about grain leather is how creases won't show much.

7. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Distinguished Member

Those are awesome! Congrats.

How do you find the fit of the 3636 vs other lasts such as the P2 and F?

8. VRaivio

The Vass Budapester last, how's the fit? True to size or something else entirely?

9. Slewfoot

They run a bit on the small side length-wise compared to the F and P2 lasts. They're not particularly wide. I'd say around as wide as the P2 fit wise, but definitely shorter. If the P2 is roomy on you length-wise you can probably wear the same size. If the P2 is somewhat snug length-wise you can may have to go a half size up.

10. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior Member

Nice work Sir...good to hear you made it without any proxy nonsense...it's not rocket science dealing with Vass.

11. VRaivio

Slewfoot, thanks! I guess part of Vass's reputation is bringing Budapesters to the front again. Heinrich Dinkelacker is another maker known for the style, but their lasts are ugly and wide blobs.

12. Slewfoot

My pleasure! While I can't comment on Dinelacker's lasts, the version of Vass's Budapest last is surprisingly elegant.

13. gyasih

gyasih Distinguished Member

Nice shoes, ncdobson.

14. sm31

sm31 Senior Member

15. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

The big fit difference between Budapester/3636 and P2 is the instep. P2 is lower and more elegant, as well as longer and a bit less supportive. If that fits you, great. I have suede Budapesters in the P2 that are just starting to stretch into comfort for me. On the other hand, I get great support and effortless fit with the Budapester last as well as 3636; those two are nearly the same except for the shape of the toe.