1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Well-Known Member

When I go on their ebay store - I ignore their ebay prices. Ascot tell me they are makred-up to accommodate the
    extortionate ebay fees.

I naturally take 20% VAT off and email them the shoes I like. And most of the time it comes to about 25% off for
    buying direct with them.

2. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they offer a discount to cash sales made in store. I wouldn't expect the same to apply to a wire transfer.

I bought my pair end of last year. I just asked Rezso if they deducted VAT and he did *shrug*.

3. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

Nope, the discount applies if you go to their shop in Budapest and pay them in cash. i have a friend living in Budapest, 5 minutes away from the Vass shop. I just transfer the money to his local account in my country and he will pay Vass cash for my shoes. Saves on transfer fees.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

thanks guys. ill be in budapest, mid-April. will see if it works (for me) :happy:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Thank you, and thanks greatly for the comparisons to the different Lasts in relation to what I already have. This was of great assistance.

Cheers,

Dan

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

also, if you guys are on the fence about something and have any strange requests that mr. kuti cant accomodate (i.e. pictures of certain models next to one another, or colors) let me know. ill try and do my best

7. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

I actually recieved an email from Ascot after my posting that made the same comparrison in Lasts that you did which was extremely helpful. They appear to have a return policy for their MTO's which might be benificial even though I don't want to have to use it.

Like you've noted the advertised prices on eBay includes the VAT price, so this was a nice surprise when the actual quote ended up being less. I'm sure I'm paying more by doing it this way, but given everything I think I made the right decision.

8. Ilovelobbs

Are you saying the full price with VAT was about €469 in the EU.

9. Ilovelobbs

Ascot return policy very helpful - I live the UK but have all my items shipped to my Swiss work place to take advantage of the VAT deduction.

10. Ilovelobbs

Namor,

have fun in Budapest and bring an empty suitcase - remember to check out the other shoe makers, you'll find some interesting shoes on display.
    Cash is King in Budapest -

Check out the popular Menzi's Restaurant - attractive prices and cool place to chill out and watch the locals about their daily life.

11. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

Do you get a discount if you use a credit card in the store, or does it have to be cash in the hungarian currency?

12. Ilovelobbs

Just hardcore cash - and you get a better bargaining power paying in € than Florint....
    Any payment option to avoid "declaring" is king.

1 person likes this.
  13. rbrtvms

rbrtvms Member

14. nickrut

nickrut Well-Known Member

Vass is now on my list of to haves this summer. Now I just gotta figure out which ones... That's the fun part.

15. Ilovelobbs

Some ideas for you:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Well-Known Member

Not a fan of toes without caps, thus I'd love to see the Adelaide with a cap and a counter. Hughes and St James of G&G are two of the best designs of said style imo.

17. Fiddler

Fiddler Well-Known Member

^^Anything you like Mr. Vass can do.

18. archangle13

archangle13 Well-Known Member

Does a heel counter have any significant impact on fit?

On a side note, that Italian oxford in cognac just looks sickly.

19. aspasp

aspasp Well-Known Member

Do they take USD?

20. Fiddler

Fiddler Well-Known Member

Something tells me euros will be nicer as they tend to quote prices in euros.