1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

I think the wait is always about 5 weeks. Next pair ordered day after arrival.

I'm going to write up my experience and discuss some of the back and forth from a few pages back of people asking for information without doing some research.

Thank you for the comments.

2. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

Omg... these are positively yummy

3. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Those are great, I am about to order a boot version in Antiq Cognac.

4. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Very nice JPH - and the high boot version in Antiq Cognac would be extremely elegant for the summer shade.

5. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

JPHardy, that is one singular pair! Wear them in health!

As an aside, I really wonder where Vass would be without SF or similar sites with info on lasts and ordering. The firm isn't too active with this info themselves. I guess it all boils down to love for their product: Vass offers the best combination of materials, lasts and make on the market. If anyone knows of another shoemaker with similar pairs for 400 euros, I'm interested.

6. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Thanks, just finalizing if I want this color or not. For the price, $630, I am sure I'll be happy.

7. alladin

alladin Senior member

Hi,

I usually wear UK 8 or 8.5 in Crockett & Jones. I was thinking of ordering a pair of boots on the F last and wanted to inquire what sizing would be best.

I contacted Vass and they sent the insole measurements below. All my footwear measures 28cm internally.

F Last:

UK 6.5 28.1 cm
    UK 7 28.5cm
    UK7,5 28,8 cm
    UK8 29,2 cm
    UK8.5 29,4cm

I was leaning towards UK 6.5, but was wondering if dropping 2.5 sizes is wise!!

8. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Mimo,

Your understanding spot on with the Cleverley RTW range being made by C&J's.

The first batch of Cleverley semi-bespoke shoes back in 2010 were 100% Crocketts
    because they were using the same box and labels from Crocketts to package their shoes.
    The packaging recently changed to not give the game away.

Also, you need to go back 20 years and look at the history of the two firms and their
    trading strategy. Compared to Church; Lobb & Green. Crocketts never had a strong high
    street present. Their trade were predominantly making shoes for independent shops and retail chain
    and putting the shop names on them - so anyone could easily go up to Northampton and
    tell Crocketts to make XYZ using their own last/design or using one of Crockett existing lasts.

This model still happening now to respect existing clients, but to a lesser extend
    because their strategy in the last 10 years has been to establish the Crockett & Jones brand name
    recognition by opening up Crockett shops in the City, Mayfair, Jermyn etc...
    They just opened a new store along Knightsbridge next door to Church's and Harrods,
    they been eyeing that unit for over 5 years.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  9. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Looks like Rezso given incomplete measurements on the F last.
    Depending on your last and shoe type in the Crocketts - a size EU 42.5
    is a safe bet for you.

10. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

If get the opportunity to walk around Budapest, there are 2-3 smaller shoe makers who retail
    for about 300-400. There are 2 (Budag & Rozsnyai) next door to Vass, and their craftmanship
    very good for that price point.

I have some shoes from them and will post on this Vass thread if people don't mind.

Vass is still the best for Hungary IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  11. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

ILLs - really interesting, thx. There was a Northampton insider who posted a while back, and came across as unbiased in his views. He had some interesting insights. (but i don't remember the thread sos). He and his father had been in the trade all their lives, had worked with nearly all the makers at some time or other, and IIRC he nominated C&J when pushed on which factory cut least corners and had the highest standards overall. - so altho I had no idea til u said it, I guess AC semi being C&J doesn't surprise me. I understand that the skilled workers are in such demand that they can get a job anywhere, and of course bring their skills with them. Boils down to the fact that altho C&J doesn't make top level shoes under their own label it doesn't mean they can't select a decent skin or bevel a decent waist. Come to think of it, the leather on my C&J handgrades is as good as anything I've seen.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  12. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

alladin, you should not order from Vass in UK sizes.
    I told Mr. Kuti earlier I was interested in a pair of Vass and knew I would be UK 6 to 6.5 in C&J depending on the last.
    He told me no problem, I could order from them in UK sizes as well and should go with UK6.5.
    What I received was EU41.5 which was way too large for my feet.
    I back Ilovelobbs and would say from my experience a UK 8 to 8.5 should be EU42.
    You will be on the safe side ordering a EU 42.5

13. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I wear a smallish US11 and ordered a EU44.

14. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

+1. I wear UK5.5 GG. EG. I got F-last UK5.5 (EU 39.5). Far too big.

15. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

I agree with the rest that you should be wearing a 42. Send Vass your feet measurements (length + width with socks on) instead. Their size estimation will be the most accurate with the measurements.

16. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

Wow if they do provide sizing services based on feet measurements.

Amazing service.

17. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

EU 41.5 = 7.5 UK = 8.5 US

What you should have got was a 40.5 or 41.

18. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  19. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I did not specify the EU sizing, Mr. Kuti did, I said I was UK6.5 and I received EU41.5.
    I returned that pair both because of size and wrongly executed design caused by misunderstandings between two non native English speakers - Mr. Kuti and myself.

Right now I've got a pair of EU40.5 at my place and even if I'd like to, I can't say they fit myself the way I'd like them to.
    I have posted earlier about them likely being the correct size for myself, especially when worn with my ortophedic insoles (low instep), but I don't believe in it anymore.
    I have put them on for whole an hour so the leather could take the temperatuer of my feet and mold around them and I end up experiencing too much heel slipage and my toes don't reach into the toe box far enough.
    Fiddler and others said they were UK6.5 and have gone EU40 in Vass F and were fine.
    I took and measured the traces of my feet over and over again, have gone to a department store that offers C&J and tried on several pairs for countless times (some I like in UK6 others in UK6.5), as well as I have gone to three cobblers to have them have a look at the Vass.
    They agree the current size is too large but are afraid of telling me how much to size down.
    Also I have a pair of US7 Rancourt & Co Ranger Mocs which I am very comfortable in, yet of course I do understand it is difficult to compare a suede mocassasin derby to a calf dress oxford.
    So now I am faced with the tough decission whether I should size down to 39.5 or 40.
    40 definitely won't be too small but might even still be on the large side, especially as one of my feet is noticeably smaller than the other anyways.
    If I go 39.5 I might end up with a pair that is too small for my bigger foot, but if I am lucky they might just be the best fit I could get out of the F last with no more than ~1.5cm in additional length.

Have a look at the link below.
    My bigger foot is ~253mm long, according to the link I should always be UK6 and either the greatest length in 39.5 or the smallst in 40, not taking width, heel etc. into account.
    No idea if Vass sticks to this very values though.
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuhgröße#Erwachsenengr.C3.B6.C3.9Fen

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  20. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

^dude you are a brother from another mother...I hypothesise I have nearly the same length of foot as you; though mine are wide unlike yours usually fit into a G(wide) in most English made shoes (probably better with an E and a tiny bit before EE)...so we aren't brothers T_T...yes people are probably thinking bro u have retarded feet...