1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

I´m in the process of buying a pair of Vass and have read lots of tips in this thread how to size but i´m not sure yet :) 40.5 seams like a size i could end up with, what do you have in other lasts and makers? I have a high insteap, how would that work with the U-last?

2. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Can you show us a picture of what the antique cognac used to look like?

3. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

You need to stop getting so wound up chief. I am merely laying out an option...a solo option for Vass buyers who don't need a babysitter....many other potential buyers, even invisible lurkers, read these threads and they may benefit from all experiences. I was mildly amused to see how even with a proxy, there were some 'hiccups' in your MTO...doesn't say much. My transfer fees amounted to 25 euro so I'd rather pay that than a more substantial surcharge to a proxy. That is all.

4. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Does Vass take PayPal or credit card ? I can't send a bank transfer from India, too many forms to fill

5. Zarium

Zarium Senior member

I cannot comment about the instep since I'm not knowledgeable enough to. I'm still unsure about insteps in shoes, you see. If you're willing to tell me more about how I can help regarding instep, I'm willing to listen and let you know.

The U last is quite slim. I'm a 40.5 on the U, and 40 on the F. I wear a UK6.5 for most C&J lasts (the 337; Belgrave, 341; Westfield), UK6.5 on Meermin's Ama last (which is wide but comfortable) and UK7 on Meermin's New Rey last (not one of my favourites, sadly). No experience with Alden or Allen Edmonds but I think I take a US8 in normal width shoes.

I also have a pair of EG Chelseas on the way which are on the 202 last in 6.5/7, which I think is a correct size.
    Sure. Here are a pair of Vass captoes in antique cognac, size 41 on the F which were too big for me (bought them from a nice seller off B&S). The colour is definitely different and I was hoping to get something more like it, but apparently the antique cognac colour is now what my austerity brogues look like.

I adjusted the colour temperature in Photoshop for both these photos and the photos I posted previously. They're both at 5250K and I used a flash bounced off a white ceiling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Notch

Notch Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Do you think the color difference could have something to do with the italian polish?

7. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

I think you might need a proxy son.

8. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I fear the display I am using is not very well calibrated, could you tell me in words where the difference is?

9. Zarium

Zarium Senior member

I don't think so. I completely stripped the shiny polish and the colour is still the same. The Italian polish just seems to be a layer of glossy shine. Like a spit-shined shoe.
    The pair of austerity brogues look more like their 6125 dark cognac colour than antique cognac, which many have said is a very unique and nice colour Vass offers. Do a search for the user LS7's posts in this thread - he posted a pair of austerity brogues in 6125 dark cognac; which I based my own order upon. 6125 dark cognac is a darker colour than antique cognac, which looks to me like a medium brown shade. 6125 dark cognac is on the darker side of brown.

10. rikod

rikod Senior member

Zarium, your austerity look great. I owned a couple of 6125 dark cognac and they are quite red, not med brown like antique cognac (which is a beautiful color), the 6125 I didn't like that much, too red and I prefer burgundy or even red cognac.

11. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Senior member

I had this kind of trim in mind...what do you think? [​IMG] The above edge trim on the shoes below: That is an awsome combination.

12. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

My Vass just arrived and they look great, perfectly balanced with no imperfections in the finish.
    Unluckily they are not the style I ordered.
    To defend Vass, they show all details I specified aside from the styling of the uppers and the error should solely be based on a misunderstanding between two non native English speakers that Mr. Kuti and I are.
    While I wanted a black boxcalf plain captoe oxford style Chelsea with 5 eyelets and a single leather sole like this,
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/261141/vass-f-last-chelsea-oxfords-size-9-42/0_100
    I received a shoe similiar to OE I without broguing and cap but with a toe box plain like in a wholecut.
    Looks like this one on the F last and with a plain toebox
    [​IMG]
    I can perfectly understand this happing as I first spoke to Mr. Kuti about the OE and later changed to Chelsea and thought it was a regular style of them, so he would understand, most likely I was wrong and "Chelsea" is a name that SF came up with, it does not appear on their page.
    Thus I want to explain to him as well as possible and need your help regarding the correct vocabulary.
    How is this leather "patch" on the heel of a shoe(red) called properly? How to call it if the area in the blue circle is in one piece rather than made with a cap?
    [​IMG]
    Was I wrong, calling a shoe like the mid brown one linked above a plain captoe and should have called it a captoe without broguing?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  13. PiedBeau

PiedBeau Well-Known Member

"No heel counter" and "no cap toe" should work, or did i miss something ?

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Thank you, They are mine. They are Carminas in shell. Still available off the peg at the Carmina web store.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

If I'm understanding things correctly, it's often called a "plain toe" as the toe of the shoe is exactly that - plain and devoid of any decoration at all.

Do a search for "plain toe balmoral" and you should find some examples.

16. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

better yet - find a photo of exactly what you want - send it - done.

or - just keep the shoes they sent - they are perfect - even if not what you ordered.

17. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Thank you a lot for your help!

This is good advise.
    Actually I sent this picture to him.
    [​IMG]
    Actually at first I falsely called it Derby, this is how Mr. Kuti's and my conversation looked like afterwards

[​IMG]

Actually I only now noticed the attached picture of the lacquered shoe he sent to me and previously only had a look at the link of 133 Melton.
    So it is my fault ordering style Chelsea without mentioning the cap after he sent that picture to me.
    So overall I'd say its 1-1.
    The heel counter was neither wished for/mentioned by myself and added by Vass, and I failed regarding the cap.

This might be an easy thing to say and do for somebody who already owns a great range of shoes, but actually this pair of Vass would be one of my first pairs of proper dress shoes and the only black and very conservative so, so it's not that easy for myself.

18. Zarium

Zarium Senior member

Are you saying Vass is at fault? I don't get it.

19. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I messed up the captoe detail, no discussion about that, but I never asked for a heel counter.
    I just sent an apologetic mail to Mr. Kuti and am curious what he has to say.

20. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

This is clearly a communication error on both sides. There are enough photos here and on the Vass site to show either the exact model you want or the design elements you want. It would have been easy to say - when he sent you the photo from the catalogue - yes, that is the shoe I want but with a plain captoe without the broguing. Or whatever modifications you wanted.

However, Vass still occasionally makes mistakes even when you send pictures and simple specific itemized lists of design elements.

Confirming and re confirming your order is key here.

You received a shoe you were not expecting. However - and I am not defending Vass here - the shoe you received is quite nice and I suppose it could have been much worse: wrong size, wrong colour etc.