• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks. Would having high arches affect anything?
Is these anything else I should know, please?

no

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The traditional lasts, the Budapester and 3636 favor high insteps. Any time I've done an oxford in Edward Green special order, they've had to stretch out the bit near the shoelaces-- badly, most of the time. By contrast, Vass oxfords made on 3636 fit me like bespoke in that area. Those twolasts also have their widest point pretty far forward. So if you are undecided between a standard 12, say, and an extra-extra-wide 11, that might be helpful.

By comparison, while I can get into the P2, its instep is too low for major comfort, and the high point of the arch is too far forward. Essentially, to find my width in that last, I've had to go to a longer shoe than is appropriate.

This is all relative, of course. If P2 fits your foot exactly, then you won't want a 3636.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The traditional lasts, the Budapester and 3636 favor high insteps. Any time I've done an oxford in Edward Green special order, they've had to stretch out the bit near the shoelaces-- badly, most of the time. By contrast, Vass oxfords made on 3636 fit me like bespoke in that area. Those twolasts also have their widest point pretty far forward. So if you are undecided between a standard 12, say, and an extra-extra-wide 11, that might be helpful.
By comparison, while I can get into the P2, its instep is too low for major comfort, and the high point of the arch is too far forward.
Essentially, to find my width in that last, I've had to go to a longer shoe than is appropriate.
This is all relative, of course. If P2 fits your foot exactly, then you won't want a 3636.

?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass Monkfest. First is dark brown suede on the F last and second is dark brown Chromexcel on P2 last.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a blast from the past

navy u-last monkstrap

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By comparison, while I can get into the P2, its instep is too low for major comfort, and the high point of the arch is too far forward. Essentially, to find my width in that last, I've had to go to a longer shoe than is appropriate.

This is the only part I understand

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Would having high arches affect anything?
Is these anything else I should know, please?

High arches are a definite problem with U and F last balmorals, not a problem with gibsons.

vonklark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Dont be phased by the big timers here post your shoes mate!! Sometimes the one pair that took more effort to obtain overshadows the "volume" others have. Wear them and show them with pride my friend .............

cheers.gif

Budapest oxford in calf, U last, red cognac, double sole. (I posted this bad photo before)

vass2.jpg

Really nice, enjoy!

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is official now, Vass has raised their prices on the 'normal' lasts such as the 3636 last, New Peter, Peter, R, Budapest... to the same price of their Italian lasts (F,K an U).

They will also be opening a new and 5 times bigger store in June only 50 meters from their current store, where they will have a bigger stock of their Italian lasts. They will keep their traditional lasts in their current shop. They will also have a small atelier in their new shop so you can see how their shoes are made :slayer:

I will be traveling to Budapest in July and will take as many pictures as I can!

Incitatus

Reaction score

It is official now, Vass has raised their prices on the 'normal' lasts such as the 3636 last, New Peter, Peter, R, Budapest... to the same price of their Italian lasts (F,K an U).
They will also be opening a new and 5 times bigger store in June only 50 meters from their current store, where they will have a bigger stock of their Italian lasts. They will keep their traditional lasts in their current shop. They will also have a small atelier in their new shop so you can see how their shoes are made :slayer:
I will be traveling to Budapest in July and will take as many pictures as I can!

lol that opening date has been slipping for months now, typical Hungary :)

Since I'm currently commuting to Budapest, I'll try to be there for the opening so hopefully I can beat you to it ;)

Last edited:

vonklark

Reaction score
So in trying to come up with my makeup for my first pair of Vass', I have come up with the following specifications for this model (whose name I still don't know):

Antique cognac leather (with Italian polish - if possible)
Medium brown suede (open to other suggestions of a better complementary color - haven't seen all the available suede colors)
F last (seems like I would be a 43.5)
antique sole edge and welt
Double sole with sunken metal toe and heel taps
Medallion (need to figure out what is available)
Any expert advice is appreciated re: other available options or tweaks that you wish you had know when you first started out with Vass. Or any thoughts generally?
Thanks in advance for everyone's ongoing help.
I don't know but they look really cool :D

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads