1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. nepats81

nepats81 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I wear 8.5 UK in Carmina Robert last
    9/9.5 D in EG 82 Last
    8.5 in C&J 360 last
    9.5 US in Tramezza

I have a narrow-medium foot.

Would I wear a 43 in Vass U Last?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Sizing systems are UK for both EG and C&J.

2. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

I wear a UK7.5 on the C&J 360 and wear a 42 in the U-last. So I would say that there is a possibility that you would wear a 43 in the U-last.

Best if you do sketches of your feet and send them to Vass for their opinion. If you own the Vass book, they give excellent tips on how to sketch your foot.

3. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

I am also UK 9-9.5 in EG 82 and UK9.5/European 43.5 in U

my feet are not especially wide, so you may be 43.5

sounds like good advice, but it may be tricky to get consistency across different feet/sketching abilities

4. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

I don't own the book, but I'd be glad to see the tips spelled out here...

5. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Austerity brogues-F or U last, which is the better of the two? I am looking for pictures to compare the two.

6. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

You are the man G!

7. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

I vote for the U last, by the way.

8. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

I vote for the F :inlove: I need to go to Budapest someday. Is it normal to have nightmares about the F-last not fitting me? :p

9. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

F last fits me well. Interested to see how the U last fits, but not sure yet.

10. thecentennial

thecentennial Well-Known Member

Well, I have ordered my double monks - 6 weeks to go.

11. KayJay85

KayJay85 Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing and ended up ordering them in F-last for 2 reasons:
    - I have large feet and the elongated shape of the U might have been too much
    - The toe box on the U appears ever so slightly boxy to me

I just received my shoes yesterday and they are gorgeous! Very pleased with how the make-up looks (6125 calf with single sole). Size-wise, I wear a UK 11 in most shoes and went with a size 45 which so far appears to be the right size. However, there is some tightness across the vamp (just below the laces to be precise) but I am not sure it is do to with the length but rather the width? These were my first pair of Vass and overall I am very happy with them. Tombrone was very helpful with my questions and I would recommend him to anyone looking for more information or a proxy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: pictures provided by Tombrone. The shoes appear more reddish than they actually are

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

^^Those came out great!!! I had tightness in the same place, I loosened them up and will break in a little slower.

13. rikod

rikod Well-Known Member

^ Beautiful, congrats

14. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

15. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Well-Known Member

Very normal my friend. I experience nighmares of ill-fitting shoes all the time. Join the club!

1 person likes this.
  16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

17. ncdobson

ncdobson Well-Known Member

NST on the 3636 in cognac w/ goyser welt. More tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. ncdobson

ncdobson Well-Known Member

Here's how my 1st Vass order unfolded:

I sent an email in mid-Sept. to Mr. Kuti via the address on the Vass website & got a quick response. I gave a basic description of what I wanted (NST in cognac w/ goyser welt) & my usual sizes (10.5D US/9.5F UK/43.5 EU?). 2 days later he told me the shoes would be ready in about 4 weeks. He gave me bank transfer info, but I paid no deposit.

I tried to do a bank wire, but my bank's fraud unit was super skeptical of the open-ended transfer required to cover Vass' currency conversion, so I didn't go through with it. About a month later (right on schedule), Mr. Kuti sent email saying the shoes were ready & asking if I wanted to claim them or let them be sold in their shop. He suggested Western Union for the payment.

The W. Union website is confusing, & setting up the account was kind of a hassle. I opted for the bank-to-bank F(oreign) (e)X(change) online service that charged no transfer fee, but takes up to a week. I had to call my bank to get a transaction # to confirm & finalize the transfer, which then did take about a week. The payment process probably added a total of 10 days to the process, but saved me a lot of money over the original bank fees I would've paid, & it should be easier the next time since my W. Union account now has all my info & the Vass banking info.

So, I got my shoes in about 10-11 7-8 weeks for HUF115,000/(EU395/)$548 + change, including shoe trees & FedEx shipping. No customs duties so far. The shoes were exactly what I ordered, & they fit. I'm looking forward to ordering again as soon as I can afford to.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    2 people like this.
  19. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

thanks for the info :fistbump: I wonder which size Mr Kuti would have used for the U-last styles?