Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. vin19

vin19 Member

Thanks to this forum, I was able to discover things otherwise wouldn't have known to me. Just received my Vass Chukka in mid-brown suede in U-last. I have wide feet and surprised to find out how comfy these are. They make me look taller too. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

^ Wow ,I really love those. I'm not a big fan of chukkas but I really want a pair now when I see those.. Would go nice with a pair of jeans and a polo shirt.

Last edited: May 16, 2012

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

You're not clogging up anything if you revisit beautilicious shoes like those.

My personal opinion is the non-captoe because of its less "busy" look and therefore more elegance to the shoe. If I had the choice, I think that I'd more likely look at the top one over the years and it would more likely cause a burst of dopamine in my brain than the bottom one would.

4. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

If you have a wide feet just be little wary of the U last on which these are, they tend to be narrow in the forefoot and general consensus is to half size up...

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

high or low instep? snug or loose fit? narrow, normal or wide heel?

US 10.5 is EU 43.5, don't mind the styles, though

good luck

6. rikod

rikod Senior member

Very important. What I have learned with vass is that if you have a regular width feet, low volume in general (not fat), at least medium instep and narrower heel like me you can get away with half size down (43). I'm US8 and according to the conversion I should be 41 in Vass but that's big for my feet, I have to go to 40.5 and the fit is almost perfect. Now I have my size dialed except for loafers, didn't figure it out yet and working on that.

7. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Super helpful...Thanks so much for the advice. I know Aldens don't seem to be in favor on this thread, but I wear a 10.5D on Alden's Plaza/Hampton/Leydon lasts and have found a 10D in Barrie lasted shoes somewhat unwearable because of the wide bulbous nature of that last and the wide heel cup. So would that translate to either 43.5 or 43? Would either the U or F lasts work better on either of the two pairs of shoes I initially posted?

I would say I have regular width feet that are low volume and a relatively normal to narrow heel. To be totally honest, not sure if I have a high or low instep...Seems pretty normal to me.

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i give it some thought and get back to you. f last should be a no brainer. i have no personal experience with u-last, though.

be assured that we work it out together. be it me or any other knowledgable shoe lover.

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

imo, the instep parameter applies not only to vass. it's true though, that the AH and derby style favor a higher instep and a normal to narrow heel in general.

our friend is longing for oxford and u-last, which is one of the most complex lasts from vass. also according to mr. berta, who was involved in the birth of it.

10. rikod

rikod Senior member

At the end taking some risk and try will be the solution. I'm tempted to say from what I've read that most probably he will be 43.5 in the U. I have no personal experience with the U last but I will try one in about a week and will be able to compare and report.

11. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

I personally would advise to size at least half-size down in EU size. VASS is currently using new lasts and all their shoes (by their own admission) fit wider and longer. I found it necessary to go half a size down and into Narrow width. VASS U-last used to fit me like a glove, now ....
    Since this is your first time ordering from them I would do what I did first time around: find the dress shoes in your wardrobe that fit you the best, then measure outsole length and width, pass those measurements to Vass via e-mail and take their suggestion on the size. It will not be precise, but it will be much better than just guessing your EU shoe size.

12. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

When did this start, and for what lasts do they offer different widths?

13. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Thanks; please do let me know how you find the U last. However, I thought you said to size down 1/2 in your original post. Would I be taking the same size in U and F lasts?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a pair of whole cut Ferragamo Tramezzas that fit beautifully, so I can take measurements in those and see what Vass suggests.

14. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

The blue pair has an excellent shade. Any idea of the tannery?

15. rikod

rikod Senior member

That is if your feet have the characteristics I described, I will be trying the same size as the F, but some people have to size up for the U. I will let you know when I try it.

Very good suggestion by medwed.