• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this saddle shell?

DSCN2206.jpg

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I generally like double monks, but I don't think anyone can execute it quite like this one (EG on 888). Vass still has a ways to go in that regard.

This was a good article comparing different monks. http://dieworkwear.com/post/4004301520/the-double-monks-series-part-i-baller-monks-priced
Here is Vass in another color from that article:

I agree, the EG's (and lobbs) look better, but after owning a pair of DB (not in that class) I can say that I don't like any of them, I just hated to see that extra buckle way in front of my pants. DM look good in photos of stylish guys with cuffed very slim pants

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how the Peter last fits as compared to the New Peter and F last (I've been advised the New Peter & F fit very similar)?

I have a 44 Peter Norweger, which is a touch roomy, and I'm trying to decide what size to go with in a F last. I had a U last in 43.5 and while the length was great the toe box was too narrow and shallow causing blisters on the tops of my toes.

Thanks!

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone comment on how the Peter last fits as compared to the New Peter and F last (I've been advised the New Peter & F fit very similar)?
I have a 44 Peter Norweger, which is a touch roomy, and I'm trying to decide what size to go with in a F last. I had a U last in 43.5 and while the length was great the toe box was too narrow and shallow causing blisters on the tops of my toes.
Thanks!

Yes they are similar, I wear the same size in both, no problem. The F maybe a bit more snug for me, also a bit higher instep.

I don't own shoes on the peter yet, will get my first soon.

Note: In the new peter I only own derbies.

Last edited:

emc894

Reaction score
Has anyone tried any of the warm weather vass with punched holes? Could be good for muggy days in the city maybe. If there was an unpunched toe cap it could be relatively subtle. I'll be in Budapest next month and will check them out regardless.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I generally like double monks, but I don't think anyone can execute it quite like this one (EG on 888).
Vass still has a ways to go in that regard.

This was a good article comparing different monks. http://dieworkwear.com/post/4004301520/the-double-monks-series-part-i-baller-monks-priced
Here is Vass in another color from that article:

not sure what you mean by that? despite my general dislike for any dm, i don't think that a cap toe looks good on a dm? thoughts?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Has anyone tried any of the warm weather vass with punched holes?
Could be good for muggy days in the city maybe. If there was an unpunched toe cap it could be relatively subtle. I'll be in Budapest next month and will check them out regardless.

not vass, but you get the idea.

DSC_0055.jpg

best shoe in summer...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

emc894

Reaction score

not vass, but you get the idea.
DSC_0055.jpg

best shoe in summer...

That color is perfect for sunny days. As far as ventilation, the second from the left or a shoe with broguing punched all the way through would be great.

not sure what you mean by that? despite my general dislike for any dm, i don't think that a cap toe looks good on a dm? thoughts?

It is a hard thing to describe. I think the cap toe looks good on both. I just think that Vass' version looks less refined and more amorphous. More rustic maybe? It would go well with chinos but not a suit. The EG version (and JL) would do well with a suit and looks more rakish.

I love Vass F last but something about their D.M. leaves something to be desired.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads