1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

It was a approximately 540 euros if I'm not mistaken.

1 person likes this.
  2. aon

aon Senior member

Nice! Thanks!

3. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Yes, the norweger boot looks incredible. I tried to order it once, but little bit lower, they end up mixed up with the other norweger boot style from their catalog (the 3 eyelets norweger boot). :facepalm:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  4. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    What is the terminological difference between two boots in the photos? One has open stitch the other one is rolled stitch (terminology is mine). Which is the one everyone refers to as Norwegier? I thought both of them are just split toe boots, full stop...

P.S. Going to Budapest tomorrow gonna indulge.

5. mimo

mimo Senior member

Which pictures? Show which models you mean and I will try to explain, or hopefully someone more knowledgeable like Son of Saphir (wherever he is).

6. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

I believe he is referring to then two boots on the left
    [​IMG]]http://[​IMG][/URL]

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

Hmm, I can see the confusion: neither of the "norweger" boots appear to have "norvegese" stitching. Norwegian in style, but not in construction. They both appear to have a goodyear-type welt. The stitching on the vamp is different on each of them, one like Vass's regular "Norwegian" derbies (far left), and the other with a shorter "lake" and longer "split", and more prominent stitching, to the right of it, which I think is what they call their "Osloer" boot.

The big difference between them, apart from the stylistic variations in stitching, is the lasts. Far left and second from left are, I think, the Peter and New Peter respectively, with the latter much sleeker. For completeness, the black wingtip also looks like the New Peter last, and the brown suede/leather short wingtip looks like the "K" last.

Feel free, anyone, to correct me if this is all complete rubbish. It wouldn't be the first time. [​IMG]

8. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    I am going to order that round stitch split-toe in gibson on natural sole and rubber [ATTACHMENT=4228]newpeter.jpeg (115k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT].

9. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Will be a nice makeup.

10. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Does Vass do Dainite soles for MTO orders. I'm waiting to hear from them but thought I would ask here.

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Last I heard they do not.

12. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

No they only do Vibram sole with a commando pattern. And only in black i believe.

13. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

14. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah-- some soft crepe soles or honey-colored vibram would be a nice addition to their lineup.

15. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

An alternative to lugged Vibram would be great. I really wanted to do two winter boots: 1 balmoral and one blucher, but I need something that maintains the look of a leather sole and works with snow and wet. Double leather is fine in the snow for short distances but the problem is when I come inside, I seem to get a ton of heel slippage on marble, terrazzo or tile floors at work. Doesn't matter what shoes. I'm tired of walking gingerly and still having my heel unexpectedly slip and almost talking a tumble. I could do EG or GG MTO but by the time 16 weeks rolls around I'll have been slipping for almost 3 months. A 4 to 6 week Vass turnaround would have been great.

16. Notch

Notch Senior member Affiliate Vendor

They can topy a sole, they do it very nice. It will help with your slippage problem and still look good.

17. Cal135

Cal135 Active Member

Vass can use Dainite, but you need to send them the sole/heel components. I Just bought three Dainite sets for future boots / sole replacements.

18. Lumaca

Lumaca Active Member

I am loving the closed-lacing ankle boots. The monk boots looks delicious, but the combo of brown suede and black leather is not doing it for me.

19. Jaygatsby28

Jaygatsby28 Senior member

gsugsu, please keep us informed on what you end up doing. I am thinking of the same thing right now. Live in NYC with frequent trips to Boston that I need a good winter boot for that preserves the look of leather soles. Thinking of going cordovan with the commando right now. Last few years been using my LL Beans and changing shoes at the office.

20. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior member

FWIW, those of you in the US trying to figure out payment options might want to consider Western Union. That was Mr. Kuti's suggestions when my bank balked at a wire transfer. It was a little confusing & a slight hassle to jump through the online hoops, but I will end up paying $548 for wiring (from my bank acct) 115,100 HUF to Vass for a pair of scotchgrain NST on the 3636 last. According to online converters, the market rate for 115,100 HUF is about $542, so Western Union doesn't seem to be jacking up the conversion rate. I wired the money on Fri. & had to wait til Mon. to get a security ID # from my bank to complete the transaction. Vass is supposed to have the money by Fri. I'll post again when the shoes arrive.