1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

+1 their seems to be some sort of "shell equilibrium" to which all colors gravitate towards

whiskey -> ravello -> SHELL EQUILIBRIUM <-cigar <-#8

1 person likes this.
  2. thecentennial

thecentennial Senior member

Very good NAMOR - so can I expect my whiskey's to turn into ravello? I could stick them on a sun bed to expedite the darkening..

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

afaik, alden shell is different to this.

4. SHS

SHS Senior member

I could not live with this. I think I will have to go to Budapest and try them on if I want some Vass. :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  5. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

+1 - I've been sent a single monk when i ordered a double, an Oxford when I ordered a Blucher, and the wrong color a couple times. c'est la vie mes amis- c'est la Vass

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is not Vass-specific (with whom I have very little experience) but applies to a number of craftsmen or firms in various parts of the world.

In theory, in these days of instant communication every special order ought to be accompanied by a conformation of what was discussed and what was agreed. If the order is taken face to face, the craftsman is taken down the agreed specifications and the client should be given a copy, which can be either a computer print-out or a photocopy of the order sheet. Not forgetting the approximate completion date which also should be given in writing. If the order was given by e-mail, it might take several mails back and forth until all the details are clarified. Nevertheless once everything is clear, the conformation with all the specifications should be forthcoming. This “contract” should be binding to both parties, unless at a later date some alterations or changes have been mutually agreed.

Unfortunately there are quite a few firms who for whatever reason (be it sloppiness or arrogance) come up with goods that are different from what was agreed. It wouldn’t be the first time that a customer on Savile Row who had ordered hacking pockets, was presented with straight ones (or vice versa). In these cases of miscommunication with nothing in writing (apart from the firm’s squiggles) it is very difficult to establish where the boo-boo has occurred.

If the firm is not forthcoming with a confirmation of the agreed details, send them you own list of the agreed specifications by e-mail. If, for one reason or another, the finished product deviates from these specifications, you have a much stronger base to argue your case from. You can still accept the product as is, but at least you can negotiate a discount.

I do not agree with the “don’t rock the boat” attitude that has been expressed here. If the company has made a mistake, they will have to rectify it (one way or the other). If you let them get away with it, they will never tighten their house-internal quality control.

7. rikod

rikod Senior member

Very interesting and I agree completely. I Vass case this is what I normally do " dear xxx, I received the shoes, they are great as always and fit well, however i ordered natural edge soles and came painted so I'm very dissapointed", they always offer an exchange or to fix the problem, or a discount, so they respond very well to the situation with courtesy, they are extremely polite and have even called me (to the US) to apologize. what I never do is fight or sent nasty letters, I just don't feel that's the best way, I really like them.

I don't know, sometimes it seems like if the craftsman does not like something he doesn't want to do it :) , I once ordered a nice grain bordeaux pair with a double sole and came back with double to single, I complained and got a discount, but know I wouldn't change it back to double, I love them now. In any case, I'm always happy except variation in sizes and that doesn't happen anymore as they have my measures. Always good to have confirmation emails but not to ask for too many details or changes.

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

The sun only lightens I think. Just wear your shoes, and brush with the same brush you use for darker shell. After time the oils will darken your whiskey. Honestly, you got the best color man. I envy you. Gimme my precious. Lol

9. Kai

Kai Senior member

Laszlo Vass bespoke Budapester in cognac boxcalf leather

[​IMG]

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Vass norweger: should i go with whiskey or antique cognac? thinking of getting it on the F last, similar to slickmans

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Those are awesome. Is that color dark cognac or antique cognac?

12. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I'd lean towards Whiskey and on the New Peter last. It really depends on which last fits you better though.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

this will be my first pair of VASS so im actually unsure of how to size

Im a TTS 12D

UK11.5 in EG
    UK11.5 in G&G
    UK11 in C&J 337
    UK10.5 in C&J 348
    UK11 in C&J 341
    UK11 in Carmina
    UK11 in JL 8695
    UK11.5 in JL 8000
    UK11 in JL 7000

Which size should I get in the New Peter last? Also, F? do the italian lasts fit similarly?

14. rikod

rikod Senior member

^ most likely 44.5 in both imo

15. Henkie

Henkie Active Member

I've got basically the same list of sizes as you, and I ordered a pair on the U-last in 45.5, that ended up being about a half-size too small, but that's mostly because I have relatively wide feet. I'm unsure how exactly that translates to the New Peter or the F lasts, but I doubt getting anything smaller than 45 would be wise.

16. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i hope you haven't been surprised. i agree with the 45 assessment for the colleague.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  17. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If you really wear UK11.5 in JL8000 and in EG's sleeker lasts, you're a 46 in U last and a 45.5 in F. Not sure about New Peter.

Also, I would be quite concerned about the Italian lasts in that kind of size - they don't look the best in the larger sizes IMO

18. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I agree. I'm a 44 in U last and a 43.5 in F last and I wouldn't want them any bigger.

If you're feet are on the wider side I'd lean towards a 45. If on the narrow side a 44.5 might do it especially with shell which can sometimes run big.

19. rikod

rikod Senior member

this is correct, if your feet are wide + high instep could be a 45, but I can almost guarantee anything bigger than that will be big, except maybe the U last.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

this is some serious shoe