• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eightace

Reaction score
Any advice gentlemen?
Here's what I would do:

Contact Vass ahead of schedule to arrange a fitting. Allow for a couple of hours, there's so much to try. If you can't find something in RTW, do MTM.

A couple of other places to consider are Rozsnyai (across the street from Vass). Unfortunately they were not open when I was there at the end of last year, but I believe they allow for a lot of customisation, so get in touch and see what they can do.

There is also Buday Shoes. Tiny little shop, but they have some great shoes. I would have bought from them if they'd had my size. Best to contact them in advance because IIRC one of the staff didn't have much English, so I had to go back when the English-speaker was on site.

One more: https://attilashoes.com/ in the conservative business dress. Not my cup of tea, but worth a look.

A couple of other general tips:
  • Take your time.
  • Ask if there's a discount for cash.
I hope that helps. Sing out if you've got any other questions.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's what I would do:

Contact Vass ahead of schedule to arrange a fitting. Allow for a couple of hours, there's so much to try. If you can't find something in RTW, do MTM.

A couple of other places to consider are Rozsnyai (across the street from Vass). Unfortunately they were not open when I was there at the end of last year, but I believe they allow for a lot of customisation, so get in touch and see what they can do.

There is also Buday Shoes. Tiny little shop, but they have some great shoes. I would have bought from them if they'd had my size. Best to contact them in advance because IIRC one of the staff didn't have much English, so I had to go back when the English-speaker was on site.

One more: https://attilashoes.com/ in the conservative business dress. Not my cup of tea, but worth a look.

A couple of other general tips:
  • Take your time.
  • Ask if there's a discount for cash.
I hope that helps. Sing out if you've got any other questions.
Thanks! I'll email. I've read about Rozsnyai...they feel a bit forward to me (more elongated lasts) though it seems they have a sale on right now based on the website. But the RTW listings on the site don't seem that attractive to me. I guess I'm more conservative, but as long as I'm in the area, I'll drop in. I also read that Buday has gone out of business in a different thread on SF. Maybe that's not true.

I'll email Vass to set up an appointment.

I'll take some pictures while I'm there too and post them here.

eightace

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll email. I've read about Rozsnyai...they feel a bit forward to me (more elongated lasts) though it seems they have a sale on right now based on the website. But the RTW listings on the site don't seem that attractive to me. I guess I'm more conservative, but as long as I'm in the area, I'll drop in. I also read that Buday has gone out of business in a different thread on SF. Maybe that's not true.

I'll email Vass to set up an appointment.

I'll take some pictures while I'm there too and post them here.
I know what you mean about Rozsnyai - their RTW stuff on their website is...not for me either. But since you're going to be in the area, they might be worth a look, and as long as you can find a decent last, you should be able to customise according to your taste.

A couple of other places also:

Here, for handmade gloves.

And for ties, pocket squares, and scarves, Kaczian.

PS In my previous post I mentioned Atilla in the conservative business dress. Somehow this came out as 'conservative business dress,' when in fact I meant it as 'central business district.' Not sure how that happened.

PPS How was your trip to Australia?

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PPS How was your trip to Australia?
Thanks. Confirmed visit to Vass! Thanks for the other recs.

Are your single monks in your icon Vass? I do like the swept back configuration of the strap.

Australia was great! I wish I could have been there longer. I really enjoyed Sydney. Had a nice run over the Harbour Bridge to the north part on my last day (was staying near the central train station), just around the bridge where the amusement park is. Coffee and pastry, walked around the flea market, lots of runners on a Sunday, then walked around the Rocks on the way back, a bit touristy, but snagged some gifts for the family. Appreciate your advice in the Oz thread.

eightace

Reaction score
Thanks. Confirmed visit to Vass! Thanks for the other recs.

Are your single monks in your icon Vass? I do like the swept back configuration of the strap.

Australia was great! I wish I could have been there longer. I really enjoyed Sydney. Had a nice run over the Harbour Bridge to the north part on my last day (was staying near the central train station), just around the bridge where the amusement park is. Coffee and pastry, walked around the flea market, lots of runners on a Sunday, then walked around the Rocks on the way back, a bit touristy, but snagged some gifts for the family. Appreciate your advice in the Oz thread.
They're not Vass in my icon, they are in fact Cheaney that I stumbled upon in Kuala Lumpur some years ago. They are superb IRL.

Great to hear you enjoyed your time here.

Enjoy Budapest, it is a spectacular city!

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, the weird thing is that I'm a UK8 in Carmina which is Eur 42, but in loafers, we settled on 41 in suede, 41.5 in box calf for the P lasts and 41.5 for P2 and F lasts for Oxfords. Still deciding on Slipper I versus Slipper II regarding loafers (basically the apron, raised or not, thought Slipper II is split toe) in the P1 versus P3 last, medium brown suede. Will have pictures when I have more time.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some pictures.
IMG_9420 copy.png
IMG_9417 copy.png
IMG_9418 copy.png

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Still pondering on the first loafer. Was inclined to mid brown suede but deer brown is attractive.

Anyone with the deer brown make up? Is it reddish brown like polo suede?

You can see medium brown on left and deer brown in the whole cut in one of my pics above.

IMG_9417.jpeg

Alternatively I’m partial to the walnut museum brown. You can see it in the loafer on the left. I like it. The gold museum is too

IMG_9501.jpeg

But here are some F last pics of gold museum.

IMG_9500.jpeg

IMG_9499.jpeg

Finally I’m still in disbelief that my dialed in size seems to be 41.5 in the F and P last when I take a Carmina 8uk in forest and rain last. But I have to trust the process and having tried on different sizes in the store. In the case of the loafer, we went down from the 42 to deal with heel slippage.

Last edited:

zr3rs

Reaction score
I am not a fan of gold museum, I find it hard to combine, walnut is much more versatile (and at least as nice from the coloration).

I take 42 in F and 8.5 in rain (tight front wide heel not a good fit for me), so seems plausible.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of gold museum, I find it hard to combine, walnut is much more versatile (and at least as nice from the coloration).

I take 42 in F and 8.5 in rain (tight front wide heel not a good fit for me), so seems plausible.

Walnut is more versatile, but gold museum is nice to have for variety.
Same goes with a blue shoe, not always the best option but sometimes it can make for a nice touch.

Really prefer the softer boxcalf leathers over those other tougher Vass leathers, however shell cordovan is nice for the winter.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedHarris