• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LThomsen

Reaction score
You should. The bordeaux is extremely versatile. Works as a substitute for both black and brown.
My f last oxfords are great. Should have my alt English u last shoes delivered in the next 2 weeks. Then I will be able to decide on what last I prefer.
Of course I am open to hearing opinions from other sf members☺

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My f last oxfords are great. Should have my alt English u last shoes delivered in the next 2 weeks. Then I will be able to decide on what last I prefer.
Of course I am open to hearing opinions from other sf members☺
Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Personally, I prefer the F-last because of it's classic proportions.

As for an austerity model, I like it on the U-last it order to enhance the beautiful lines of the model. But it all depends on your personal style and overall proportions.

F https://www.shopmehra.com/products/...museum-calf-vass-shoes?variant=32038249070647

U https://www.misiuacademy.com/vass-shoes-review-austerity-brogue/

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I will say about Vass lasts.

I really like the P2.

F is an amazing last, but reminds me more of a British shoe.

P2 is more Hungarian, more true to the spirit of a continental shoe while being more modernized than BP or 3636.

Just a thought.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with the asessment. If you are feeling Italian, the K last would go well with an austerity brogue as well.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Personally, I prefer the F-last because of it's classic proportions.

As for an austerity model, I like it on the U-last it order to enhance the beautiful lines of the model. But it all depends on your personal style and overall proportions.

F https://www.shopmehra.com/products/...museum-calf-vass-shoes?variant=32038249070647

U https://www.misiuacademy.com/vass-shoes-review-austerity-brogue/

ajay199127

Reaction score
Clarification please:

How would you compare vass u last to am soft square.

For me AM ss is UK 8 (TTS+1/2), instep slightly high, ordered c3 in UK7.5

My understanding is that Vass U is TTS with lower instep compared to K.

Also do Vass taper the heel upon request for his rtw?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clarification please:

How would you compare vass u last to am soft square.

For me AM ss is UK 8 (TTS+1/2), instep slightly high, ordered c3 in UK7.5

My understanding is that Vass U is TTS with lower instep compared to K.

Also do Vass taper the heel upon request for his rtw?
Soft Square feels somewhere between sizes compared to Vass U for me. In the same marked size (U 43.5/9.5) as Soft Square 9.5, the Vass U is lower volume throughout, has noticeably less room in the toe box, has a slightly lower instep, tighter heel and lower quarters. If you have any touching in the toe box in soft square, taking the same size in U will be very, very snug. That said, sizing up by another 1/2 on U to get space in the toe box the instep on will end up being higher than Soft Square and having more volume overall.

liahos1

Reaction score
Customs hell:

So the pair of VASS Alt English F Lasts I ordered arrived into the states Tuesday.
  1. They were supposed to be delivered Wednesday (9/1).
  2. I get a notification that the shoes were delayed due to customs clearance.
  3. I call fedex and they say the shoes were cleared by customs and should be delivered Thursday or Friday.
  4. I check fedex this morning and the shoes were back in Memphis at FEDEX and back in customs clearance with an approximate delivery date for next week (9/7).
Has anyone experienced this? Should I email VASS? Im trying to figure out if there is anything I can do here. The Fedex folks haven't really given me much direction. Any thoughts appreciated.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Customs hell:

So the pair of VASS Alt English F Lasts I ordered arrived into the states Tuesday.
  1. They were supposed to be delivered Wednesday (9/1).
  2. I get a notification that the shoes were delayed due to customs clearance.
  3. I call fedex and they say the shoes were cleared by customs and should be delivered Thursday or Friday.
  4. I check fedex this morning and the shoes were back in Memphis at FEDEX and back in customs clearance with an approximate delivery date for next week (9/7).
Has anyone experienced this? Should I email VASS? Im trying to figure out if there is anything I can do here. The Fedex folks haven't really given me much direction. Any thoughts appreciated.
Not sure what if anything Vass could do about it. Assuming they cleared customs then Vass did everything on their end properly for the paperwork and it’s not in their hands. Shipping companies gonna shipping company. It’s always a bummer when things don’t arrive when you want but that’s on FedEx not Vass.

liahos1

Reaction score
Not sure what if anything Vass could do about it. Assuming they cleared customs then Vass did everything on their end properly for the paperwork and it’s not in their hands. Shipping companies gonna shipping company. It’s always a bummer when things don’t arrive when you want but that’s on FedEx not Vass.

This is too funny. They just got delivered. Vs the last update this morning being they were in memphis going through customs again.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is too funny. They just got delivered. Vs the last update this morning being they were in memphis going through customs again.
Sometimes the tracking systems get goofy. At this point I’ve got plenty of shoes and suits and just kind of roll with it and as long as it isn’t lost it’ll arrive when it arrives

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Helping a friend offload some used Vass in good condition. Please see B/S for details. Link in my sig, Thanks.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Did not wear them for quite some time. Almost forgot how nice are these shoes. U last is just perfect for wholecuts.

0EA1E439-5DB7-4BA4-A236-A39E4446879A.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads