• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing else in terms of black. As for other colours, I have pretty much everything.

I plan on using the shoes strictly with suits. My current black shoes fulfils that purpose already, but I need another pair to alternate with in order to not wear the same pair two days in a row.

Would the half brogue with Medallion still be appropriate with solid navy/grey/charcoal suits or would it always be suboptimal/inferior to the punch cap toe? I guess that, that is the actual question.
I think it depends what region you reside, but I'm in the states and you can absolutely wear that with a suit

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends what region you reside, but I'm in the states and you can absolutely wear that with a suit
Got it. And you're correct. Let me rephrase the word 'appropriate'. Would the half brogue always be suboptimal/onferior with suits compared to the punched cap toe or is it purely a subjective choice/preference?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is gorgeous. A shame you had to sell them.

If by 'first' you mean the plain cap toe, I already have it. I'm trying to add yet another pair: the one you possess or the half brogue with medallion.
No, the first of your choices is the model I had. The third one of your choices is the brown obe, I do not see quite well the one in the middle but whatever you decide is a good option. Love most F Vass oxfords (but need a G widht).

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got it. And you're correct. Let me rephrase the word 'appropriate'. Would the half brogue always be suboptimal/onferior with suits compared to the punched cap toe or is it purely a subjective choice/preference?
I think it really comes down to choice and how formal you want to be. The one you have is most formal for suit, the 2nd one would be 2nd most formal and medallion 3rd most, yet all are formal and would work with the suits.

ThomGault

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm planning my next black shoe purchase.

I have this one already for reference.

I'm not sure which, i should get next. I like the idea of both a punched cap toe with additional punching below the lacing...

...and a half brogue black shoe (however, the medallion that I'd opt for would be the one featured with the walnut brown shoes. Basically that same shoe but in black. I featured the black half brogue so you'd get an idea of what the half brogue would look like in black).

The first option is a classic design. The second design is classic as well, but just not sure about it in black and whether it would cause a clash of formality between design/model and colour.

All shoes discussed are on the F last. I'm firm on that.
I think the punched captoe would be the most appropriate with nicer suits in a more formal setting, and, if you have a need to wear black shoes on back-to-back days, it sounds like you're in a fairly formal setting. However, in my aesthetic view, the punched cap toe is also very redundant vis-a-vis your plain captoe...but maybe that's what you want?

I prefer my black shoes to be very plain, so I wouldn't pick a black half-brogue (nor do I like black wingtips.) I realize that many will disagree with my opinion, and that's perfectly fine. Personally, I have two nearly identical black plain captoe pairs for alternation and in case one is mortally damaged.

CWV

Reaction score
I’m a lawyer in Chile and I could pull of without any raised eyebrows a full brogue derby with a suit.
in Chile if the shoe is a shoe (not sneaker) it goes with a suit. There is no culture whatsoever about proper dress code.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the punched captoe would be the most appropriate with nicer suits in a more formal setting, and, if you have a need to wear black shoes on back-to-back days, it sounds like you're in a fairly formal setting. However, in my aesthetic view, the punched cap toe is also very redundant vis-a-vis your plain captoe...but maybe that's what you want?

I prefer my black shoes to be very plain, so I wouldn't pick a black half-brogue (nor do I like black wingtips.) I realize that many will disagree with my opinion, and that's perfectly fine. Personally, I have two nearly identical black plain captoe pairs for alternation and in case one is mortally damaged.
Thanks for the feedback. Workplace is not too formal. I don't have to wear conservative suits back-to-back. But it happens that I do and that black shoes looks better than any other colour.

As for redundancy, I guess that might be some the reason as to why I asked the question as well. I don't mind redundancy as long as it's reasonable (ie if a quarter brogue is always superior to a half brogue as explained in an earlier post then redundancy is reasonable).

I like the idea of a half brogue black shoe in theory, but I don't have any experience with it in reality. As for a punched/quarter brogue, I like it both in theory and reality.

Edit: thanks for all the input, guys. I'll give it some more thought before deciding on which.

Unvaccined

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Workplace is not too formal. I don't have to wear conservative suits back-to-back. But it happens that I do and that black shoes looks better than any other colour.

As for redundancy, I guess that might be some the reason as to why I asked the question as well. I don't mind redundancy as long as it's reasonable (ie if a quarter brogue is always superior to a half brogue as explained in an earlier post then redundancy is reasonable).

I like the idea of a half brogue black shoe in theory, but I don't have any experience with it in reality. As for a punched/quarter brogue, I like it both in theory and reality.

Edit: thanks for all the input, guys. I'll give it some more thought before deciding on which.
You don’t have to wear black shoes but still want to? And you believe they look better (sic!) than brown? The third model, on an F-last though, is absolutely marvellous. Just choose a darker shade of brown. Personally, I recommend Bordeaux museum with such a medallion shoe. Bordeaux Museum is the black for gentlemen with taste.
Thanks for considering.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don’t have to wear black shoes but still want to? And you believe they look better (sic!) than brown? The third model, on an F-last though, is absolutely marvellous. Just choose a darker shade of brown. Personally, I recommend Bordeaux museum with such a medallion shoe. Bordeaux Museum is the black for gentlemen with taste.
Thanks for considering.
Thanks for input. There are, imo combinations where black shoes look more sober and better than a brown shoe. I have the third combination in both dark brown museum and walnut brown already. No need to get a pair in bordeaux as well.

Bordeaux is well covered in my wardrobe with a pair of plain cap toe on the F-last and an Alfred Sargent Moore adelaide.

Potatoe

Reaction score
I've loved the U-last for years and years. I still do, but in theory and not on me. As of lately, I've grown more fond of the F eventhough I've always liked it. Since I've started to post fit pics I've come to the conclusion that the aesthetic of the F looks better with my style than the U. Just more symmetrically pleasing. Still love the U, but not on me with my style.
Your recent pictures have been excellent so I can't disagree.

For the black I would go with the medallion. The cap toes seem a bit too plain for the outfits you have posted.

bernoulli

Reaction score
I would go for an austerity (non)brogue. In black, it looks stunning and is distinct enough from the pairs you have.

View attachment 1646086

I'm not sure which, i should get next. I like the idea of both a punched cap toe with additional punching below the lacing...
View attachment 1646090

...and a half brogue black shoe (however, the medallion that I'd opt for would be the one featured with the walnut brown shoes. Basically that same shoe but in black. I featured the black half brogue so you'd get an idea of what the half brogue would look like in black).
View attachment 1646093
View attachment 1646094

The first option is a classic design. The second design is classic as well, but just not sure about it in black and whether it would cause a clash of formality between design/model and colour.

wdrenth

Reaction score
I have the austerity model in Bordeaux museum. Indoors it is almost almost black, and outdoors the true colours will show. I think, as stated above, this still be a respectable addition (and alternative to an all black model).

Edit: just read you already have Bordeaux, and are really looking for something black. Forget my comment!

View attachment 1646086

View attachment 1646090

View attachment 1646093
View attachment 1646094

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nothing else in terms of black. As for other colours, I have pretty much everything.

I plan on using the shoes strictly with suits. My current black shoes fulfils that purpose already, but I need another pair to alternate with in order to not wear the same pair two days in a row.

Would the half brogue with Medallion still be appropriate with solid navy/grey/charcoal suits or would it always be suboptimal/inferior to the punch cap toe? I guess that, that is the actual question.
I would get austerity brogue or adelaide on F.

Rusty1960

Reaction score
Had two pair of shoes shipped to the United States last week. They arrived in the USA, and FedEx indicates that there is a clearance delay-import. I emailed Vass Friday morning to let them know of the delay. Need I do anything else to insure delivery? Thanks

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.