• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing, that should be of interest for folks here. In the new episode of the podcast I have, I interviewed Rezső Kuti, and of course talked a lot about Vass. Among other things about why the brand have succeeded so well internationally, about why they’ve run a bunch of sales during Covid, about the Hungarian quality shoe business in general and how bad streets resulted in iconic shoe styles, etc. Listen here or in your preferred podcast player, search for Shoegazing Podcast.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing, that should be of interest for folks here. In the new episode of the podcast I have, I interviewed Rezső Kuti, and of course talked a lot about Vass. Among other things about why the brand have succeeded so well internationally, about why they’ve run a bunch of sales during Covid, about the Hungarian quality shoe business in general and how bad streets resulted in iconic shoe styles, etc. Listen here or in your preferred podcast player, search for Shoegazing Podcast.
Can recommend! It was a great listen.

Unvaccined

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this informative interview. I have a lot of respect for Laszlo Vass who made the decision at the start of the plandemic not to lay off any workers, whatever the cost. I will order more pairs of Vass very soon. Rezso seems like a very knowledgeable and likeable man.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this informative interview. I have a lot of respect for Laszlo Vass who made the decision at the start of the plandemic not to lay off any workers, whatever the cost. I will order more pairs of Vass very soon. Rezso seems like a very knowledgeable and likeable man.

Thanks! Yeah, agree, one have to respect that, they knew it would hurt the brand in some ways with many sales, for example with losing retailers, but prioritised their staff and their wellbeing.

CWV

Reaction score
In the interview you mention handmade shoe brand in South America. What would that brand be? As a Chilean. I’m very interested

Unvaccined

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, agree, one have to respect that, they knew it would hurt the brand in some ways with many sales, for example with losing retailers, but prioritised their staff and their wellbeing.
With such a quality shoe as Vass produce, it might have been worth to evaluate as to what extent they should reduce cooperations with retrailers anyway. Some (US-) sellers charged much higher prices than Vass itself does B2C. It might be best to operate their own shops and then to rely on their own webshop while promoting the brand further online.

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
The shoes are too small for you (apart from instep), and probably too short (hard to judge fully on photos). Your feet end up too far forward in the shoe, especially left one then. Your big toe joint ends up in front of the widest part of the shoe, and you have a lot of excess space in the arch. Since they are tight at the ball, you further pull the excess leather in the arch and you get a bulge. See similar things on the right shoe, just to a less extent. Probably best thing to try to sell them off. Since it looks like you've been walking around in them, not just tried them on carefully on carpet, they would not have accepted a return on them either way.
Thanks for your reply. Below is a photo of the same oxford, same last and size on my left foot which looks perfectly fine and the leather feels stiffer and not loose.

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
I see now the small bulge in the first picture. Maybe @rezso.kuti can shed a bit more light on why, but for that price discount and the fact that it is final sale and a great shoe overall, it wouldn’t bother me.

someone with more cobbling/shoemaking experience might be able to help a bit
20210518_080035.jpg
more.

I had a shoe that was tight in one foot and the leather reacted similarly.
Thanks for your reply! I really want to keep it if only I can find a way to stiffen the leather. Here's photo of the same pair in black on my left foot which is perfectly fine to me.
20210518_080055.jpg

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the interview you mention handmade shoe brand in South America. What would that brand be? As a Chilean. I’m very interested

Sorry, I meant to say Southeast Asia, didn't even notice the slip when I edited.

With such a quality shoe as Vass produce, it might have been worth to evaluate as to what extent they should reduce cooperations with retrailers anyway. Some (US-) sellers charged much higher prices than Vass itself does B2C. It might be best to operate their own shops and then to rely on their own webshop while promoting the brand further online.

Yeah could be.

Thanks for your reply! I really want to keep it if only I can find a way to stiffen the leather. Here's photo of the same pair in black on my left foot which is perfectly fine to me. View attachment 1611379

Sorry, I can't say much on this, more than that from what I could gather of the pics of the first shoes they looked to small which also commonly result in same thing you has problem with, hence my comment on it all. Can't say anything if that shoe there is right in size or not, but I'd say that the creasing on first pair might get heavier due to thin leather, but you'd certainly have it with thicker sturdier as well. It's a fit thing, not leather thing. If it's down to the shoes being different in size, for example lasted differently etc, I can't say.

Last edited:

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hola

I suggest checking Calzados Correa (I have a pair of handwelted full brogues that are wonderful) and Casa Fagliano both in Buenos Aires.

Regards

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In this crazy times taking care of your people is something to be praised.

My next Vass will be a pair of norwegers in double JR sole in antique cognac in P last.

CWV

Reaction score
Hola

I suggest checking Calzados Correa (I have a pair of handwelted full brogues that are wonderful) and Casa Fagliano both in Buenos Aires.

Regards
Hoja juan
I’ve checked Correa, but the lasts are really chunky and unapealing to me. At least those I’ve seen.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTO on the U last, right shoe with a different width from the left. It turned out superbly. All my discretionary spending in the last 2 months has gone directly to Vass, either taking advantage of their sales or placing orders like this one. After listening to Rezső on the excellent podcast by j ingevaldsson, I could not be happier that my money has been used to keep people at Vass employed. What a great company.

Image 2021-05-14 at 16.07.44.jpeg
Image2 2021-05-14 at 16.07.44.jpeg

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoja juan
I’ve checked Correa, but the lasts are really chunky and unapealing to me. At least those I’ve seen.

Their web needs some improvement, here an example. Sorry about the non related Vass information.

PC080023.JPG

Attachments

• PC060004.JPG
    PC060004.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 52
  • PC060015.JPG
    PC060015.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 66

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads