• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You still want me to name a few? I'll give you a list (in no particular order) which I will stop at 10 names because I'm tired typing:

As well as being massively divergent in terms of aesthetics and price, at least a couple of names on that list are below Vass in quality.

And when that happens, all 10 Vass pairs they acquired during the COVID sale thinking they were getting the deal of their lifetimes will end up in the trash. And that's a shame.

And that’s just trash talk, literally. No-one is going to throw Vass away if they move onto something more expensive. Give them to a friend, donate to the thrift or sell them are most likely options. Or just keep them as beaters.

I’m no Vass fanboi, but in two decades of playing the fine clothing game I’ve owned pretty much every brand you named above and keep coming back to Vass because of the quality for the price, and the ability of the shoes to withstand honest use.

sforum1

Reaction score
As well as being massively divergent in terms of aesthetics and price, at least a couple of names on that list are below Vass in quality.

And that’s just trash talk, literally. No-one is going to throw Vass away if they move onto something more expensive. Give them to a friend, donate to the thrift or sell them are most likely options. Or just keep them as beaters.

I’m no Vass fanboi, but in two decades of playing the fine clothing game I’ve owned pretty much every brand you named above and keep coming back to Vass because of the quality for the price, and the ability of the shoes to withstand honest use.
Makes zero sense to me. It’s like saying Jay Leno keeps coming back to his college Corolla because of the quality for the price. I can guarantee you he’s not.

And just to remind ourselves of a few things, are still talking about the shoe brand that uses paper to build the heel?

Last edited:

sforum1

Reaction score
I think that a beginner that starts buying Vass shoes is really smart. On the other hand your list is very subjective, as most of the lists posted here.

I am no one give lessons to anyone, but most of the shoe aficionados here including myself have spent thousends of dollars buying shoes to sell them lately. Its part of the game, the path of a shoe aficionado. At the end that guy will make their own list and many might differ from yours (or mine).

exactly my point. So no need for that game, while you are playing that game, to involve 10 almost identical pairs from the same maker but in different colors. Play the game a title more smartly.

CWV

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I've figured. But for beginners, this is important indeed. Every time I would find something I liked, especially if the price was good, I remember I would go crazy and would want to own a few extra pairs for when the first one wear outs or in different colors, only to find something better

That's why I added the last paragraph, in case it did not apply to him. I'm not tracking who owns what and how many years they've been serious about buying shoes.

There are a gazillion other brands that are better than Vass. I'm not comparing price/value ratios, that's a different story. But the idea that Vass is the best brand out there and there is nothing better to the extent that you have to ask is simply laughable.

You still want me to name a few? I'll give you a list (in no particular order) which I will stop at 10 names because I'm tired typing:

1. John Lobb
2. G&G
3. EG
4. Anthony Cleverley
5. Foster & Son
6. JM Weston
7. Berluti
8. Silvano Lattanzi
9. Kiton
10. Crockett & Jones

Someone who's just getting started, depending on what their income is/will soon be, may think that spending $450 on a pair of shoes is just about as much as they will ever spend, but as time goes by that will change. And when that happens, all 10 Vass pairs they acquired during the COVID sale thinking they were getting the deal of their lifetimes will end up in the trash. And that's a shame.

I've seen tons of people doing the same with watches. I would see people who started developing a real passion in watches and were piling up on Casio and Seiko watches and all kinds of other junk. From experience, I would tell them to pause and wait. They would come back in a year or 2 or 3 and tell me "I should have listened to you, all that garbage is now in the garbage where it belongs, I wish I had not spent $3K on all that for nothing."
What watches brand would you recommend as a nice gift?

jayteee

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I've figured. But for beginners, this is important indeed. Every time I would find something I liked, especially if the price was good, I remember I would go crazy and would want to own a few extra pairs for when the first one wear outs or in different colors, only to find something better

That's why I added the last paragraph, in case it did not apply to him. I'm not tracking who owns what and how many years they've been serious about buying shoes.

There are a gazillion other brands that are better than Vass. I'm not comparing price/value ratios, that's a different story. But the idea that Vass is the best brand out there and there is nothing better to the extent that you have to ask is simply laughable.

1. John Lobb
2. G&G
3. EG
4. Anthony Cleverley
5. Foster & Son
6. JM Weston
7. Berluti
8. Silvano Lattanzi
9. Kiton
10. Crockett & Jones

Someone who's just getting started, depending on what their income is/will soon be, may think that spending $450 on a pair of shoes is just about as much as they will ever spend, but as time goes by that will change. And when that happens, all 10 Vass pairs they acquired during the COVID sale thinking they were getting the deal of their lifetimes will end up in the trash. And that's a shame.

I've seen tons of people doing the same with watches. I would see people who started developing a real passion in watches and were piling up on Casio and Seiko watches and all kinds of other junk. From experience, I would tell them to pause and wait. They would come back in a year or 2 or 3 and tell me "I should have listened to you, all that garbage is now in the garbage where it belongs, I wish I had not spent $3K on all that for nothing."
I've bought five pairs of Vass during the COVID sales at an average of $300 each. As they break in, they are comfortably flexible on my foot, good looking, durable and versatile with outfits. When you consider that $300 is less than Meermin charges for its upgraded shoe, Vass is a steal. Each of the five Vass pairs I bought is a different style and color, on three different lasts.

Almost all the shoes you list are nice, but poor value at full price. (You admit this, I know). They cost three times more for 30 percent better quality/styling/snob appeal. I'll probably pick up a couple of those brands deeply discounted and/or lightly used, just to see what the fuss is about.

But I understand your larger point: In a rush to nab good deals, we sometimes load up on brands we later discover don't fit right, don't look good on us or don't match our lifestyle/work life. For example, many of us will work more often from home and don't need formal Oxfords like we once did.

Nevertheless, I would argue that these changing work habits will harm the top-of-the-line brands more than Vass. After all, Vass' most iconic style (Budapester on P2 last, according to Laszlo), is a semi-casual shoe, suitable for everyday wear.

Last edited:

tbaja27

Reaction score
Gentlemen, this thread is to discuss the beauty of Vass shoes and share experiences/thoughts/opinions. However one wishes to indulge in the pleasures of menswear/footwear is his (and only his) problem and business. What one does with his time and how much money he spends is not my problem, nor is it yours.

Taste, at the end of day, is subjective.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Vass F last in bordeaux museum

DSC_0252.JPG

CWV

Reaction score
Just to be sure. I have problems with rubbing litke toes. For example in capital last from linaje, in 324 CJ, even a litke in Archibald margom sole. All in 42 or 8 UK. I asked before and was told to order 42 F last. Is that ok?

monkey66

Reaction score
Just to be sure. I have problems with rubbing litke toes. For example in capital last from linaje, in 324 CJ, even a litke in Archibald margom sole. All in 42 or 8 UK. I asked before and was told to order 42 F last. Is that ok?
I have a relatively normal foot, nearly always take tts. I find the f last a great fit, on the snug side.

Last edited:

Meyboom

Reaction score
As usual it is difficult to give fitting advice online. Personally I find the F last to be a snug fit, and I go up 1/2 size compared to Loake capital last. I also feel that Vass lasts have become 'snugger' over the past years.

Reactions: CWV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads