• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pkiula

Reaction score

Yep. That's just me, but I have more and more of a preference for wider shoes these days.

Among the wide options, I have to say Vass is probably the best I have seen so far. There's an older Ferragamo (branded Hugo Boss) in my closet that seems similar in back-shape but it's nowhere near as clean and sharp as the lines of a Vass. (Which is probably why I'm in this thread at all :))

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Come now, let's not make it handbags at ten paces?

:cheers:

Most of my shoes are hand made. Vass is not the only option, not even at its price point.

Mind you, I'm not saying Vass is a "rip off". That's your phrase. I have taken pains to include these words every time I express my personal disappointment with Vass -- "To me", "Personally", "To my eyes". It's a personal opinion. To which we're all entitled.

The reason I am disappointed is NOT because Vass are low quality. I think they're up there in terms of the product they make. My disappointment is the shape of the shoe as it looks to me.

I promised pictures. I'm no shoe critic, so I don't know the words to explain this. But my eyes see a more pleasing "flow" in some other shoe cuts that I still have to find in the U-last of Vass (which is why I think the pics in this thread are misleading, except the recent ones where owners have kindly shared pics from "the top, the wearer's point of view").

The K-last which I have had the pleasure of seeing in person in Vass' workshop (so I hope you understand I'm a bit more in touch than you think) are much more pleasing to me.

After taking pictures from many angles, I think this collection of following shots of shoes **worn on my feet** shows the difference as I see it:

And here's another view of the same thing:

Please ignore the hideous condition my other shoes are in. Desperate need to clean, polish and stow them with respect. But the point of the pics is to illustrate the "unnatural" width of even the "narrow" (43E) Vass in u-last as seen from the top, which makes it stumpy, stunted, whatever the word is. I wonder what the "wide" version is! To my eyes.

Hope this helps..

I am certainly no shoe expert and thought I agreed with the views you have expressed here on Vass from the wearer's vantage point, but from the shoes you have posted, Vass is certainly one of your better looking shoes, if not the best. Personal opinion of course, but hard to argue with, if you ask me. Do yourself a favor: keep the Vass, get rid of the others, and order more Vass.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Come now, let's not make it handbags at ten paces?

:cheers:

Most of my shoes are hand made. Vass is not the only option, not even at its price point.

Mind you, I'm not saying Vass is a "rip off". That's your phrase. I have taken pains to include these words every time I express my personal disappointment with Vass -- "To me", "Personally", "To my eyes". It's a personal opinion. To which we're all entitled.

The reason I am disappointed is NOT because Vass are low quality. I think they're up there in terms of the product they make. My disappointment is the shape of the shoe as it looks to me.

I promised pictures. I'm no shoe critic, so I don't know the words to explain this. But my eyes see a more pleasing "flow" in some other shoe cuts that I still have to find in the U-last of Vass (which is why I think the pics in this thread are misleading, except the recent ones where owners have kindly shared pics from "the top, the wearer's point of view").

The K-last which I have had the pleasure of seeing in person in Vass' workshop (so I hope you understand I'm a bit more in touch than you think) are much more pleasing to me.

After taking pictures from many angles, I think this collection of following shots of shoes **worn on my feet** shows the difference as I see it:

And here's another view of the same thing:

Please ignore the hideous condition my other shoes are in. Desperate need to clean, polish and stow them with respect. But the point of the pics is to illustrate the "unnatural" width of even the "narrow" (43E) Vass in u-last as seen from the top, which makes it stumpy, stunted, whatever the word is. I wonder what the "wide" version is! To my eyes.

Hope this helps..

I see you point as I would - as a US E (wide)/UKF width person - feel very chuffed to look down at that Vass shoe. However overall the below comment nails it:

I am certainly no shoe expert and thought I agreed with the views you have expressed here on Vass from the wearer's vantage point, but from the shoes you have posted, Vass is certainly one of your better looking shoes, if not the best. Personal opinion of course, but hard to argue with, if you ask me. Do yourself a favor: keep the Vass, get rid of the others, and order more Vass.

I would have to say the Magnanni is also a flattering last on your foot IMO.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass specs- upper stitching is full of win :slayer:

Last edited:

pkiula

Reaction score

Vass specs- upper stitching is full of win :slayer:

Looks lovely from the front, as usual :)

What size are these? I think with the Vass cut, wide in the middle, it helps if the size if 44 and above as it gives the front part of the shoe more room to manage a flowing shape. That's just me.

pkiula

Reaction score

I see you point as I would - as a US E (wide)/UKF width person - feel very chuffed to look down at that Vass shoe. However overall the below comment nails it...

Keep the Vass and lose the others? Not so fast :)

If I were more impressionable I'd have likely done something like that. But it's good to have variety and the others look quite decent on my feet as well. The Ferragamo blucher for instance is very versatile.

I might develop a taste for Vass K-last though, by the looks of it. My next formal black cap toe may well be a Vass.

Thanks. That gets compliments, but naturally that's also because of that sideways thing happening on it, and the burnishing/antiquing at the tip.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

I don't like the shoe, but agree that it's a nice last for his foot.

The magnanni IS the best shape out of those, the u is too triangular with the top cut off which all other angles do not depict. A shame really they can't develop a nice sleek last.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The magnanni IS the best shape out of those, the u is too triangular with the top cut off which all other angles do not depict. A shame really they can't develop a nice sleek last.

don't think that's their goal. imo, the u-last is an experimental approach. the budapest last is by far their best selling product.

fwiw, the i-gent hype is a negligible fraction?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
agreed, would like to see pics of k last in the wild

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads