1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Insanely good price on insanely nice boots.

2. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Distinguished Member

3. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

This is a great price, good luck with the sale. Half a size or a width too wide for me.

4. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior Member

@blekit how did you quantify more toe room? With a specific measurement or did you just ask them to feather the last across the toes? I know the 43.5 F-lasted shoes I tried in-store felt fine, but the pair I received were snug across my toes. I'm not sure if it is just due to Vass charm in manufacturing, but it would be nice to correct for future orders.

5. skeen7908

skeen7908 Distinguished Member

Does anyone know if Vass has any shell cordovan available to place an order for boots?

I haven't had a response to my email - perhaps I should ring instead?

6. Jamesbond1

Jamesbond1 Senior Member

I would have driven to Oakville NOW if they were 45.
    Good Luck with the sale!

7. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

I know when I inquired they were short and informed me they would only do ankle boots with shell.

8. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Repeat of a perennial: is anyone getting emails returned? Trying to make a new MTO, but radio silence.

9. SimonC

SimonC Distinguished Member

A friend and I both had radio silence. He called them and they were very helpful. I brought something else, but will call them when I next want to order.

10. ajd578

ajd578 Member

Response latency has been variable for me. I ordered some chukkas a couple weeks ago and responses were pretty quick, but earlier this year I had worse luck trying to get questions answered for a potential high boot order. I didn't try calling.

11. TVGD

TVGD New Member

Thanks for your response, makes sense. Still, next time I'll ask the sales guy for an exact reasoning.
    The clothes were laundered separately, I just mixed the dry ones ;-).

As RogerP stated, in my experience the toe wears out much faster, even with a topy. You end up replacing the topy more frequently.

12. blekit

blekit Senior Member

I didn't send any measurements. However, when the second GMTO was in the early stages, I have already sent my first pair to them for the repairs and discussed the most appropriate last shape. They proposed either standard last F with some more width in toes area or it's slightly wider, more asymetric version (I think it was called FB). I went with the former and am very happy with the final outcome.

13. willyto

willyto Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Vass sells shoe trees separately? Somehow when I find very nice deals on Vass shoes the original owners don't have the shoe trees with the shoes (not sure why to be honest, I thought every Vass order came with them). I've found some online on Ebay from time to time but it's tough to know the last for sure but I'm almost certain they're for more dressy lasts like F.

14. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior Member

Im pretty sure they would sell the 2 piece ones

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Only MTOs come with free trees.