• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say that's a tough thing to ask for. The shoes would have to be relasted I think in order to make them fit smaller and even then being a handmade process there's no guarantee that it would be successful in the degree you expect. Isn't it easier to sell them and buy another pair? Asuming that's possible because they can still make them.

Agreed. I would recommend selling the chukkas and try to recover some of your outlay and chalk it up to experience. Order a new pair in the right size

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P2

2086972A-55A0-46F4-9655-202B5E70FE74.jpeg

Grant44

Reaction score
Here's a list of my current sizes:
Carmina Rain 9.5UK
Forset 9.5UK (perfect fit)
Tricker's 4497S 9.5UK (I think UK9 is better fit)
C&J 363 last UK 9.5

What would you suggest on the F or R last?

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Grant44 Forest is wider than Rain right? I take the same size as you in Rain and 43.5 in F is a hair narrow on my slightly wider right foot. I might consider a 43.5F in a wide fitting provided it's mostly width across the toes.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, there are some fantastic looking shoes in this thread!

I'm working out a Vass MTO (1188 Theresianer cap toe high derby boots) to recreate this pair (excuse the link, this is my first post and I'm not embedding correctly). They aren't very fast to respond to emails, so I was wondering if you guys could answer some questions:
  1. What is the ankle circumference like on Vass boots? They don't look too wide in pictures I've seen, but with the close facing style of European boots I'm worried about having a sloppy fit around my fairly skinny ankles. If there is anyone who wouldn't mind measuring around the ankle on a pair of 44.5 P2 boots, that would be amazing.
  2. Does Vass perform any pattern alterations for MTO? Would they be able to make a pair with a narrower shaft, if necessary? What about making the facings extend a bit farther towards the toe (maybe a weird request, but they have a long-ish vamp I'm not crazy about)? Minor heel height adjustment?
  3. Are the boots and shoes made on the same size last? I have read conflicting reports here that the boots are 0.5 size larger.
  4. Any ideas what color I should order to recreate the above boot? I sent Vass the picture and they said "brown", but on the website, brown looks much darker.
  5. I'm confused about the toe spring on Vass shoes. In pictures I've seen, it seems to range from around 1cm to virtually none. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?
Thanks in advance to any and all insights.

Xune

Reaction score
2. During one of GMTOs (via another forum) I've asked for slightly more spacious instep area - they agreed. Comparing current pair to the one I've checked in their store ~2 years prior to ordering, they fulfilled that request. No extra charge for that, though no idea if that's normal or something special due to GMTO (each of us could order different pair). Best to confirm with them via e-mail.
4. I'd ask them to take photo of "brown" leather sample in daylight and then compare it. Screen settings might be playing tricks on you to a degree, but that's a start anyway.
5. Quick measurement of my pair on soft carpet (so expect some inaccuracy) - wholecuts with sunken rubber toe, about 1 cm toespring with last and something about 1,1 cm without.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Man, there are some fantastic looking shoes in this thread!

I'm working out a Vass MTO (1188 Theresianer cap toe high derby boots) to recreate this pair (excuse the link, this is my first post and I'm not embedding correctly). They aren't very fast to respond to emails, so I was wondering if you guys could answer some questions:
  1. What is the ankle circumference like on Vass boots? They don't look too wide in pictures I've seen, but with the close facing style of European boots I'm worried about having a sloppy fit around my fairly skinny ankles. If there is anyone who wouldn't mind measuring around the ankle on a pair of 44.5 P2 boots, that would be amazing.
  2. Does Vass perform any pattern alterations for MTO? Would they be able to make a pair with a narrower shaft, if necessary? What about making the facings extend a bit farther towards the toe (maybe a weird request, but they have a long-ish vamp I'm not crazy about)? Minor heel height adjustment?
  3. Are the boots and shoes made on the same size last? I have read conflicting reports here that the boots are 0.5 size larger.
  4. Any ideas what color I should order to recreate the above boot? I sent Vass the picture and they said "brown", but on the website, brown looks much darker.
  5. I'm confused about the toe spring on Vass shoes. In pictures I've seen, it seems to range from around 1cm to virtually none. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?
Thanks in advance to any and all insights.

Colour looks like antique cognac but with Vass colours can differ greatly from batch to batch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads