• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wristandfeet

Reaction score
One of the most beloved pairs in the rotation: Whiskey Shell VCap Oxford with seamless heel

IMG_3931.JPG

IMG_5533.JPG

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received my shell cordovan wingtip bluchers on the F last! I tried on a pair of calfskin oxfords in the same size and they seem to fit like a glove, whereas my pair seems to fit a touch large. Is this just a matter of breaking in? Either way, certainly not large enough to size down.

vass_budapester-1.jpg
vass_budapester-2.jpg
vass_budapester-3.jpg
vass_budapester-4.jpg
vass_budapester-5.jpg

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous. What color is that? Bourbon?

Webbo

Reaction score
Just received my shell cordovan wingtip bluchers on the F last! I tried on a pair of calfskin oxfords in the same size and they seem to fit like a glove, whereas my pair seems to fit a touch large. Is this just a matter of breaking in? Either way, certainly not large enough to size down.

View attachment 1048927 View attachment 1048928 View attachment 1048929 View attachment 1048930 View attachment 1048931

I have found Vass Cordovan to always be just a touch bigger than the calf in the same size. Beautiful shoes, congratulations.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lovely shoes. I think you may be experiencing one of the side effects of Vass - the slight pair-to-pair sizing differences that can mostly be attributed to their hand-welted construction (although other, more expensive, manufacturers seem to overcome this).

Zach Britton

Reaction score
Recently made it to Budapest to find out no RTW last fit. Ended up having a plum/burgundy museum calf derby on an MTM last. Before determining that no RTW last fit I purchased the following shoe: a London 3 derby eyelet in burgundy museum calf. It is size 42 on the F last, and comes with Vass shoe trees and a vass box which is not in mint condition. I would like to sell the shoe to recoup some of the cost of the MTM shoe that was 720 euros, or about 830 dollars. If you are interested in purchasing them please message me. Thank you.

Vass 7.png

Vass1.jpg

Vass2.jpg

Vass5.jpg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cordovan shoes will almost always run slightly larger than their calfskin counterparts because Cordovan doesnt stretch the way calfskin does. This means that the skin cant be pulled and fitted over the last as tightly and the result is a slightly more voluminous shoe. You could, of course, adjust the last to make up for this variance, but I dont know of any makers currently employing this practice.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cordovan shoes will almost always run slightly larger than their calfskin counterparts because Cordovan doesnt stretch the way calfskin does. This means that the skin cant be pulled and fitted over the last as tightly and the result is a slightly more voluminous shoe. You could, of course, adjust the last to make up for this variance, but I dont know of any makers currently employing this practice.

Thank you for the explaination, makes sense.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the explaination, makes sense.

I agree with what you mean by voluminous shoe because I noticed a gap between the shoe and my outside ankles even though the length and width feel correct, if not slightly snug.

IMG_20181009_112800.jpg

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1048927 View attachment 1048928 View attachment 1048929 View attachment 1048930 View attachment 1048931

Looks like we have similar taste. These ate about 10 years old and going strong. Enjoy yours.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the Theresianer boots. I remember hearing that Vass make's their boots fit a 1/2 size larger? Is this still the case?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads