• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wristandfeet

Reaction score
Dear Vass Experts,

I am looking to MTO an F-last Old English II with V-Cap (in either antic cognac cordovan or walnut museum calf). But I am uncertain about how much brogueing would be ideal. I am leaning towards either no brogues at all, or brogueing only on the VCap.

For those who have had experience with Vass V-cap around size 41EU, would you recommend brogue or no brogue?

I've attached two photoshopped photos illustrating the patterns I have in mind. The original photo is credit to @Notch Jeeves.

Sincere thanks!

VcapOE2_Alt3(3).JPG

VcapOE2_Alt3(2).JPG

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dislike the way Vass will sometimes do broguing on one or a few seams, and leave others plain. But they’re going to be your shoes, so why should that matter?

wristandfeet

Reaction score
I dislike the way Vass will sometimes do broguing on one or a few seams, and leave others plain. But they’re going to be your shoes, so why should that matter?

Thanks, and I understand it's silly to ask for others' opinion about my MTO design. But without seeing the shoes in the flesh, it's really hard to tell whether a certain design will work by comparing photoshopped pictures.

That's why I am asking for the opinions of those who have had V-caps and are either pleased or displeased with brogueing in conjunction with the V-cap design.

Appreciate any comment

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t care for this V cap design to begin with, and the rogue strip accentuates what I dislike about it. This shoe would be classy and gorgeous with a straight cap, brogued or plain.

Manav Kapoor

Reaction score
Sizing advice for the F last? I looked at the Jeeves site guide and that would put me at either 40.5 or 41, but it does not offer details on width.

For reference, on the Carmina Rain (standard width) last, I wear a UK 7, but it is narrow at the toes (especially on the left foot). On the Forest, I take a 7.5 (Wide - EEE) and that fits near perfectly. How does F compare to these two in terms of width?

velomane

Reaction score
wristandfeet, I've got a pair of OEII in antique cognac cordovan shell, size 41 on F last with brogueing and straight cap. I will post a pic or two tomorrow for your perusal.

wristandfeet

Reaction score
wristandfeet, I've got a pair of OEII in antique cognac cordovan shell, size 41 on F last with brogueing and straight cap. I will post a pic or two tomorrow for your perusal.

many many thanks in advance!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Atilla is awesome

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads