• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color belt looks good with cognac colored shoes? I bought a matching cognac belt from Vass but I think its over the top with some outfits.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
What color belt looks good with cognac colored shoes? I bought a matching cognac belt from Vass but I think its over the top with some outfits.

For any of shoes in the cognac/chestnut/tan range I wear one or two belts that aren't specifically any of those colors, but versatile enough to go with all medium shades like that. It has natural contrast stitching along the edges which may help a bit with things.

The bigger question for me is what to pair with my incoming Vass single monks in Burgundy cal! Don't really need a Burgundy belt specifically. Perhaps a dark brown belt with some red overtones is the way to go.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Slewfoot
For any of shoes in the cognac/chestnut/tan range I wear one or two belts that aren't specifically any of those colors, but versatile enough to go with all medium shades like that. It has natural contrast stitching along the edges which may help a bit with things.

The bigger question for me is what to pair with my incoming Vass single monks in Burgundy cal! Don't really need a Burgundy belt specifically. Perhaps a dark brown belt with some red overtones is the way to go.

how bout http://www.narragansettleathers.com/belt1.html ??

I haven't tried Narragansett Leathers yet but their Chestnut for cognac and medium brown for Burgundy might work. look like great belts.

IMO exact match of belt and shoes doesn't work in lighter colours - can look a bit contrived, unless the effect is softened with eg stitching or fabric choice like a webbing

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cross from central, F last 3 eye derby in black box
3eyeNoirVass011.jpg

3eyeNoirVass033.jpg

3eyeNoirVass040.jpg

Cordovan, on left, comparison pic
3eyeNoirVass046.jpg

like the versatility of the 3 eye derby

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Pliny - good stuff! Agree that the 3 eyelet derby will be very versatile. Last wearing of the season for these dark brown shell cordovan Vass chukkas on the P2...they've been developing a fantastic patina which you can make out here with the flash.
IMG_2195.jpg

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the temperature is in NY but my feet would probably melt if I wore my cordovan boots in this heat. Nice boots though
bigstar[1].gif

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I don't know what the temperature is in NY but my feet would probably melt if I wore my cordovan boots in this heat. Nice boots though
bigstar[1].gif

Low 60's today...hence last wear of the season. :^)

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
^ Pliny - good stuff! Agree that the 3 eyelet derby will be very versatile.

Last wearing of the season for these dark brown shell cordovan Vass chukkas on the P2...they've been developing a fantastic patina which you can make out here with the flash.

IMG_2195.jpg

mm good shoes get better, cordo more than others. they look great. Slewfoot, do you go down a size for your cordo chukkas compared to P2 or F regular shoe?

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the optimal shipping method from Budapest to the US? I have a friend in Budapest proxying for me and I've heard horror stories about UPS and FedEx. Does Hungarian Posta = EMS?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the optimal shipping method from Budapest to the US? I have a friend in Budapest proxying for me and I've heard horror stories about UPS and FedEx. Does Hungarian Posta = EMS?

I can confirm that Fedex from Hungary is no fun. Good experiences with EMS though, just not from Hungary.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
mm good shoes get better, cordo more than others. they look great. Slewfoot, do you go down a size for your cordo chukkas compared to P2 or F regular shoe?

Thanks! I kept these at the same size as my F and P2 calf boots (all in the same order) and the P2 is a touch roomier than the F, but going a half size down might make them too small. I use a thin Tacco leather insole currently and they're perfect.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
I can confirm that Fedex from Hungary is no fun. Good experiences with EMS though, just not from Hungary.
Is EMS available from the home country's local post office?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

magyar posta should be good enough.

EMS is an express service and probably tripple the price.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
magyar posta should be good enough.

EMS is an express service and probably tripple the price.

+1 Magyar is good
these are not Vass, but just round the corner at Demeter Halmos
Norweger, Freudenburg calf, three quarter goyser, double sole.
3eyeNoirVass021.jpg

3eyeNoirVass023.jpg

3eyeNoirVass008.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads