The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

What color belt looks good with cognac colored shoes? I bought a matching cognac belt from Vass but I think its over the top with some outfits.

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

What color belt looks good with cognac colored shoes? I bought a matching cognac belt from Vass but I think its over the top with some outfits.

For any of shoes in the cognac/chestnut/tan range I wear one or two belts that aren't specifically any of those colors, but versatile enough to go with all medium shades like that. It has natural contrast stitching along the edges which may help a bit with things.

The bigger question for me is what to pair with my incoming Vass single monks in Burgundy cal! Don't really need a Burgundy belt specifically. Perhaps a dark brown belt with some red overtones is the way to go.

3. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

For any of shoes in the cognac/chestnut/tan range I wear one or two belts that aren't specifically any of those colors, but versatile enough to go with all medium shades like that. It has natural contrast stitching along the edges which may help a bit with things.

The bigger question for me is what to pair with my incoming Vass single monks in Burgundy cal! Don't really need a Burgundy belt specifically. Perhaps a dark brown belt with some red overtones is the way to go.

how bout http://www.narragansettleathers.com/belt1.html ??

I haven't tried Narragansett Leathers yet but their Chestnut for cognac and medium brown for Burgundy might work. look like great belts.

IMO exact match of belt and shoes doesn't work in lighter colours - can look a bit contrived, unless the effect is softened with eg stitching or fabric choice like a webbing

4. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

cross from central, F last 3 eye derby in black box
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cordovan, on left, comparison pic
    [​IMG]

like the versatility of the 3 eye derby

5. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

^ Pliny - good stuff! Agree that the 3 eyelet derby will be very versatile. Last wearing of the season for these dark brown shell cordovan Vass chukkas on the P2...they've been developing a fantastic patina which you can make out here with the flash. [​IMG]

6. forex

forex Senior member

I don't know what the temperature is in NY but my feet would probably melt if I wore my cordovan boots in this heat. Nice boots though[​IMG]

7. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I don't know what the temperature is in NY but my feet would probably melt if I wore my cordovan boots in this heat. Nice boots though[​IMG]

Low 60's today...hence last wear of the season. :^)

8. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

^ Pliny - good stuff! Agree that the 3 eyelet derby will be very versatile.

Last wearing of the season for these dark brown shell cordovan Vass chukkas on the P2...they've been developing a fantastic patina which you can make out here with the flash.

[​IMG]

mm good shoes get better, cordo more than others. they look great. Slewfoot, do you go down a size for your cordo chukkas compared to P2 or F regular shoe?

9. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

What's the optimal shipping method from Budapest to the US? I have a friend in Budapest proxying for me and I've heard horror stories about UPS and FedEx. Does Hungarian Posta = EMS?

10. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

What's the optimal shipping method from Budapest to the US? I have a friend in Budapest proxying for me and I've heard horror stories about UPS and FedEx. Does Hungarian Posta = EMS?

I can confirm that Fedex from Hungary is no fun. Good experiences with EMS though, just not from Hungary.

11. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

mm good shoes get better, cordo more than others. they look great. Slewfoot, do you go down a size for your cordo chukkas compared to P2 or F regular shoe?

Thanks! I kept these at the same size as my F and P2 calf boots (all in the same order) and the P2 is a touch roomier than the F, but going a half size down might make them too small. I use a thin Tacco leather insole currently and they're perfect.

12. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

I can confirm that Fedex from Hungary is no fun. Good experiences with EMS though, just not from Hungary.
    Is EMS available from the home country's local post office?

13. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

magyar posta should be good enough.

EMS is an express service and probably tripple the price.

15. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

magyar posta should be good enough.

EMS is an express service and probably tripple the price.

+1 Magyar is good
    these are not Vass, but just round the corner at Demeter Halmos
    Norweger, Freudenburg calf, three quarter goyser, double sole.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]