• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
here are the shell cordovan valways. ironically (or maybe a divine sign) I share the #valway hashtag with a horse of the same name
width

width

width

width

width

width

width

width

width

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wanted to give give credit to Vass for taking care of this so quickly. Contacted them last night and received a response just a few hours later. Vass has agreed to take a look at them and has offered a full replacement. Mr. Kuti, as thoughtful and considerate as ever, reaffirmed that Vass only uses shell cordovan from horween. No horsehide whatsoever.

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to give give credit to Vass for taking care of this so quickly. Contacted them last night and received a response just a few hours later. Vass has agreed to take a look at them and has offered a full replacement. Mr. Kuti, as thoughtful and considerate as ever, reaffirmed that Vass only uses shell cordovan from horween. No horsehide whatsoever.
Just to understand (from pictures is really difficult to tell). What are the differences you can tell between this horsehide/shell and the rest of shell shoes you have?. Texture, thickness, finishing, wrinkles?. I have never handle horsehide leather. Mr. Kuti is always a profesional and a pleasure to deal with. Thanks for clarification.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the shoe has a lot of wear so the cork filler is completly compressed (you can see it in the toe area although). I wonder what material is in between the upper leather and the lining; it seems to me like a kind of felt for lining reinforcement in grey/black colour. I have not seen that before, even in Vass´ Book.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot to explain you that the cork filling in Vass goes from the waist to the toe. The metal shank is covered with a leather layer and then pegged.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks gdl203. I thought there was no cork filling on top of the leather cover of the shank spring.

Dou you know what is the material in between the lining and the upper?

hazwanazani

Reaction score
Not sure what it is, but it serves to create a gap for extra comfort as the lining and the uppers wouldn't rub against each other. This is also to prevent any squeaking noise caused by the rubbing.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just to understand (from pictures is really difficult to tell).  What are the differences you can tell between this horsehide/shell and the rest of shell shoes you have?.  Texture, thickness, finishing, wrinkles?.  I have never handle horsehide leather.  Mr. Kuti is always a profesional and a pleasure to deal with. Thanks for clarification.

the boots are made from shell cordovan. the uppers are made from shell cordovan. the shaft and tongue are made from shell cordovan. the problem i think is that some of the shell cordovan sent to to vass' supplier from horween was a generous piece of shell so the fringe, outer limits pieces used began showing the some of the creasing typical of horsehide. whats really remarkable (and easy to forget) is that the uppers were made from a single piece of shell in the style of the edward green galway (a large piece no doubt as i am 45 in f last). i happen to be wearing the boot today. it didnt take many steps before the shell bloom appeared:

width

width

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads