• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If an EU vendor does not agree to remove VAT when the shipping address is clearly outside of EU, I simply don't shop from them since they're scamming your money.

I've bought things in Europe in person that they'll take off VAT right away if I offer to pay cash.

That's how it should be but this retailer said their online website does not deduct VAT.

Bjorling

Reaction score
Has anyone been to the Lipson sale and can report on what's available?

APF_TO

Reaction score
Gentlemen, where can I purchase a decent ironing board (Brabantia or similar) downtown? I’ve tried the obvious ones (The Bay, Bed Bath & Beyond, HomeSense) but so far no-one seems to stock ironing boards.

Reaction score
Have you guys purchased anything from Herring shoes or A fine pair of shoes from UK (they ship via DHL and FedEx)? Did you guys pay any import duty and taxes? I have been looking for a pair of Tricker's boots recently and they are having a sale for $443 (without VAT) and I believe Woolridge Shoes has them for $500 (pre-tax). Not sure which one's going to work out for me.

APF_TO

Reaction score
Have you guys purchased anything from Herring shoes or A fine pair of shoes from UK (they ship via DHL and FedEx)? Did you guys pay any import duty and taxes? I have been looking for a pair of Tricker's boots recently and they are having a sale for $443 (without VAT) and I believe Woolridge Shoes has them for $500 (pre-tax). Not sure which one's going to work out for me.
I don’t have experience with those stores but I have used Robinson’s Shoes and I believe I did pay duty in Canada (but no VAT). I’d be curious to hear other opinions as well. If the prices are close (~$50) after duty, etc., I would purchase from Ivor at Woolridge Shoes anyway. He will make sure you get the right size and I like to support stores like his.

Ivor sometimes has a “20% off this group”. Not sure if he has a sale on right now, but I would expect he will this time of year. If the ones you like are part of the sale that may also influence your decision.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a pair of Barker's from Herring shoes a few years ago.

It came through DHL who took an administrative fee for paying the duties for me ahead of time.

Personally, I would also prefer Ivor's store. He will make sure you're fitted properly, and there's no suprise on the price.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No experience with either, but I recently bought a pair of $500ish CAD boots from Sweden shipped UPS and I paid $60 CAD. A few years ago that would have been an easy $150+, so I'm ok with it.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
There’s no duty anymore for made in UK shoes shipped from the UK. Expect to pay HST + a $10 admin fee. DHL will get you every time, Royal Mail via Canada Post only sometimes. VAT deduction is up to the retailer. It should be deducted for overseas orders but some places don’t do it, and simply pocket the money.

BlackChiney8

Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light for me on the Ermenegildo Zegna "Su Misura" line? I know it's MTM but I was wondering if anyone has additional information who has used the service before? Are there superior fabrics that are offered specifically for the service? Is it a lot more expensive than regular mainline Zegna? I don't live close to a Harry Rosen store.
Not superior fabrics. Just a wider selection.

From what a HR SA has told me (take it with a grain of salt), He basically said there are 4 categories of Zegna. The top being Zegna Couture which is fully canvassed with a high amount of hand work, he then said the Su Misura MTM line ranked second being made in their Stabio Switzerland factory and has some hand work. The mainline Ermenegildo Zegna is also fully canvassed and is made in Italy, Switzerland but also Spain (Barcelona) and Mexico City.
Z Zegna is the fashion forward fused collection of suits that are often produced in Mexico and sometimes China as well.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what a HR SA has told me (take it with a grain of salt), He basically said there are 4 categories of Zegna. The top being Zegna Couture which is fully canvassed with a high amount of hand work, he then said the Su Misura MTM line ranked second being made in their Stabio Switzerland factory and has some hand work. The mainline Ermenegildo Zegna is also fully canvassed and is made in Italy, Switzerland but also Spain (Barcelona) and Mexico City.
Z Zegna is the fashion forward fused collection of suits that are often produced in Mexico and sometimes China as well.

With the exception of ZZegna, they're all canvassed.

Couture has way more handwork.

I'm not sure if Su Misura has more handwork. Maybe it does, since they would have to make modifications to their suit models to make it fit.

I like the mainline and couture, but not the best bang for buck (unless you really like their fits/models). For that price you could go bespoke.

Which SA were you speaking with?

BlackChiney8

Reaction score
This wasn’t recent by any means so I honestly don’t remember the SA’s name but this was just speaking generally about the lines for more clarification. This is what I was told at the time by that S.A. and I did specify that all lines are fully canvassed except for Z Zegna. I’m pretty sure that’s what jchong8 was asking as well. Just some clarification of the different Zegna lines.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads