• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iliamerk

Reaction score
Going to rephrase a question I posted last week. I'm attending a formal event in less than a week and have no shoes. With no time to shop online, I ask you this:

If you had to buy a pair of cap toe oxfords (preferably welted) from a bricks & mortar shop in Toronto on a budget of $300 - $500 this week, where would you go? What brands would look for?

Brooks Brothers? Harry Rosen? Gravity Pope? Woolridge (thinking it's probably too expensive)? I rarely suit up, so not looking to spend a fortune. At the same time, don't want to buy something crappy. Help!

Full disclosure, I work part time at Harry Rosen so am bias towards their products since it's the stuff I see most, but I thought that these Antonio Maurizi cap toes were quite nice for the price point, especially being on sale now. They could use a nice polish obviously, but for the price I feel like it's unbeatable quality, at least for what Harry carries. Might be worth checking out, they have a black alternative too.

https://www.harryrosen.com/en/footw...io-maurizi/cap-toe-leather-oxfords/p/20038485

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to rephrase a question I posted last week. I'm attending a formal event in less than a week and have no shoes. With no time to shop online, I ask you this:

If you had to buy a pair of cap toe oxfords (preferably welted) from a bricks & mortar shop in Toronto on a budget of $300 - $500 this week, where would you go? What brands would look for?

Brooks Brothers? Harry Rosen? Gravity Pope? Woolridge (thinking it's probably too expensive)? I rarely suit up, so not looking to spend a fortune. At the same time, don't want to buy something crappy. Help!

Go to Harry Rosen outlet in Mississauga.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I work part time at Harry Rosen so am bias towards their products since it's the stuff I see most, but I thought that these Antonio Maurizi cap toes were quite nice for the price point, especially being on sale now. They could use a nice polish obviously, but for the price I feel like it's unbeatable quality, at least for what Harry carries. Might be worth checking out, they have a black alternative too.

https://www.harryrosen.com/en/footw...io-maurizi/cap-toe-leather-oxfords/p/20038485

Which location?

benbento

Reaction score
Spier & Mackay is out of cap toes until September.

As for other options in the city I've found so far: Grensons, Antonio Maurizis, Brooks Bros. shoes etc., they all seem to be poorly reviewed on SF. Maybe I'm too impressionable?

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
Spier & Mackay is out of cap toes until September.

As for other options in the city I've found so far: Grensons, Antonio Maurizis, Brooks Bros. shoes etc., they all seem to be poorly reviewed on SF. Maybe I'm too impressionable?
BB shoes are made by AE CJ and AS. They have never been poorly reviewed.

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
I see they a carry peal & co. line, Golden Fleece and what looks like a slightly more affordable untitled (or just brooks brothers) line. All decent?
Peal Co is UK made CJ or AS. Their own label is AE or equivalent, all Goodyear welted

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Harry Rosen carries Barker and Church’s. Holts has some black Church’s on sale at the moment.

Jaggery

Reaction score
[Comment in next post. - Jag]

Last edited:

Jaggery

Reaction score
Just dropped by the Harry’s in CF Eaton Centre. Saw three black captoes: Church’s Dubai (750 CAD), Barker exclusive (595 CAD), and Santoni. Didn’t notice those Maurizis but it’s certainly possible that I missed them—if you’re leaning in this direction, you may want to call a store before making the trip.

Unfortunately missed the SF meetup at Spier. Last time I was there, they had a couple medallion plain toes on display (Oxfords, I think). Realize they're not exactly what you had in mind, but they did look sharp.

Last edited:

iliamerk

Reaction score
Which location?

I’m at eaton centre. Just Saturdays and not in a sales position.

Just dropped by the Harry’s in CF Eaton Centre. Saw three black captoes: Church’s Dubai (750 CAD), Barker exclusive (595 CAD), and Santoni. Didn’t notice those Maurizis but it’s certainly possible that I missed them—if you’re leaning in this direction, you may want to call a store before making the trip.

Since they’re on sale they would be in the sale section, maybe you missed them? Otherwise it’s possible this location has sold out.

Jaggery

Reaction score
Took a glance because this thread was fresh on my mind when I was in the mall for other reasons . . . probably missed the sale shoes. The limits of impromptu reconnaissance!

Last edited:

Rixon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d like to ask for a current tailor in Toronto for some basic alterations, but who do you consider to be the best (of the best)?

It’s a pure vicuna jacket from Isaia, so I don’t want to bring it to the average mill. For any inquiries, I’ve toyed with selling it but it’s so soft my heart is touched every time.

Thanks in advance, everyone.
-Rixon

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads