• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cityplace

Reaction score
I hear ya. Reread some of the earlier posts today WRT customs and CanPost/USPS with skoak/GF and the one thing that is certain is that there is no certainty.
Still believe it is the luck of the draw. I was dinged on my last order from skoak but not from GF and not my prev order from skoak. Until we can get a larger sample group say from the last month to end of summer, we will never really know the actual mechanics to getting hit with taxes and duties. I do however believe, based upon the last 3 purchases that if my items spend more than 2 days in customs, it's not a good sign. Might have to ask a buddy who works at CanPost if he knows

This would be helpful - I just got dinged for a Kent Wang suit, which I've never had before. And it looks like I'm definitely going to be hit with a skoak package...

NickInTO

Reaction score
Unfortunately it looks like a rough ride for us Canadian importers of fine goods.

The federal reserve is set to hike interest rates while the bank of Canada just cut. That means more demand for us dollar denominated assets and a drop in the loonie. Factor in large oil supply and slowing emerging market growth and that means even more downward pressure. Probably going to get worse before it gets any better. It would take a dramatic shift in events to get back to 90 cents let alone parity.

With Greece almost in the rear view and the European central bank already at emergency rates the euro is as weak as it'll get against the Canadian dollar. Could see it rise in fact.

Pound will get stronger versus the loonie as well. They're much closer to raising rates than we are.

If there's any interest in this type of thing I m happy to comment from time to time
BNN missed this angle when we covered the rate cut yesterday - "the lower loonie and guys who spend too much money importing clothing"

akoustas

Reaction score
"So what does this mean for the average Canadian?"

"Well Paul, I'm just going to ignore that question and tell you that I now have pretty much zero chance of breaking in a new pair of loafers before the summer is over. I hope Mr. Poloz is happy"

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which. I'm ordering something tomorrow. Just trying to decide which one. Burgundy Cap or Snuff Derby.

Not the best time, but I see an increase on the horizon. Also EUR likely moving up (can it get any worse?)

HughJ

Reaction score

This would be helpful - I just got dinged for a Kent Wang suit, which I've never had before.  And it looks like I'm definitely going to be hit with a skoak package...

That's not what I wanted to read today! I've been on a losing streak all summer (Exquisite Trimmings x2, Pediwear, Epaulet, NMWA, eBay), with 2 KW orders in progress. Even a $12 battery for my camera was "sent for further processing".

Cityplace

Reaction score

That's not what I wanted to read today! I've been on a losing streak all summer (Exquisite Trimmings x2, Pediwear, Epaulet, NMWA, eBay), with 2 KW orders in progress. Even a $12 battery for my camera was "sent for further processing".

Yeah, my Skoak package got dinged - nice 20% charge...

Wish Leatherfoot could organize GMTOs!

TOstyle

Reaction score
Jesus H that's horrible. Those duties are killer!

I would 1000% be up for @Viral muling some stuff back from the US instead.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

The Brooks Brothers Black Fleece double monks in brown are 60% off at the Toronto location.

So $765-60% = good price for C&J

ino68

Reaction score
I'm convinced the CBSA has my name down on a list somewhere :)

Even the canada post lady was shocked by the duties bill!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads