• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NVPG

Reaction score
I've never understood. I believe I make decent coin and don't spend everything I make. But it seems like everyone else can drop a few grand (and more) every year on their wardrobe.
I feel like “decent coin” goes a long way or nowhere at all depending on if or when you bought property in the city.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like “decent coin” goes a long way or nowhere at all depending on if or when you bought property in the city.
I own a semi detached in the suburbs. Definitely live below my means.

CutandSew

Reaction score
What’s the model for Toronto?

It’s no secret that America dominates Canada culturally. Every time an American brand/product/service is available here Torontonians see it as a form of validation, like a “we’re parts of the club” type of effect. Right now, the buzz around Shake Shack opening in 2024 is proof of this. There will be an anti-climactic element to this once people realize it’s just average fast food - will Shake Shack survive here in the long run?
I think Shake Shack might be fine in the long run. Toronto seems more like a city for foodies instead of fashionistas. I’d say way more money is spent here on food and drink versus clothing. We’re not quite the shopaholics like our southern neighbors.

CutandSew

Reaction score
That’s THE difference - how the **** do people buy certain things in Toronto as such crazy prices?
I think most us never pay full retail, or cannot really afford to so we stock up during sales, liquidations, and closeouts. At least this is what I have to do because of my average means. So basically outlets and Winners.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what decent coin means for you. I know plenty of people making 500k and upwards (MDs in Ibanking, partners in Bay st law firms, etc). They can easily afford this **** and some, actually very few, buy this stuff. Most dress like sh*t. And and CutandSew said just above, most of us here don’t pay full retail.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what decent coin means for you. I know plenty of people making 500k and upwards (MDs in Ibanking, partners in Bay st law firms, etc). They can easily afford this **** and some, actually very few, buy this stuff. Most dress like sh*t. And and CutandSew said just above, most of us here don’t pay full retail.
That’s decent coin but that’s nowhere near what MDs in Ibanking and NYC biglaw partners make.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s decent coin but that’s nowhere near what MDs in Ibanking and NYC biglaw partners make.
Correct, although I said “and upwards.” But NYC is a beast of its own, really and the incomes there, in law and banking, are bonkers. Even at the associate level, the difference a couple of years ago was easily double, and probably triple when bonuses were included

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of Americans are in debt. Financially irresponsible. Over consumption is a real thing.

Look at this forum. It's all about indulgence. Some have over 100 pairs of shoes. Etc

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of Americans are in debt. Financially irresponsible. Over consumption is a real thing.

Look at this forum. It's all about indulgence. Some have over 100 pairs of shoes. Etc
All people do this, not just Americans. You think the average Torontonian under 30 has even $20K saved?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All people do this, not just Americans. You think the average Torontonian under 30 has even $20K saved?

Of course not just Americans. But the comment was in regards to people in NYC. The avg American doesn't have $1000 in their account. And of course there are millionaires and people making easy 6 figures.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But remember that it doesn’t take a lot of customers to move a certain amount of high end or bespoke clothes. It’s a numbers game. If, say, 10% of people in any given city can afford this stuff and 10% of them actually buy it, if the city is large enough, it can sustain a certain amount of stores and tailors catering to that crowd. Again, NYC is an easy choice given the high concentration of jobs with high incomes but Toronto can pull its weight, too. Maybe we’re just a step or two behind in how much we care about this stuff.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outlets, eBay, styleforum, and occasionally Harry Rosen/Holts for me. For me, I’m willing to pay higher-than-outlet prices for a special commission, like MTM. Haven’t done bespoke yet, but will commission something from @induere_to in the near future.

On a final note, it is strange that there are members here nitpicking/shaming the spending habits of people who like well-crafted menswear. This is literally a forum for people who appreciate those things to virtually congregate. And some of the same nitpickers are reselling said goods!

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But remember that it doesn’t take a lot of customers to move a certain amount of high end or bespoke clothes. It’s a numbers game. If, say, 10% of people in any given city can afford this stuff and 10% of them actually buy it, if the city is large enough, it can sustain a certain amount of stores and tailors catering to that crowd. Again, NYC is an easy choice given the high concentration of jobs with high incomes but Toronto can pull its weight, too. Maybe we’re just a step or two behind in how much we care about this stuff.

Very well said. And to reiterate, there is no shame in liking it. Some people will drop $$$ on pens. It’s not my scene, but I can understand why and how people appreciate it as a hobby.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outlets, eBay, styleforum, and occasionally Harry Rosen/Holts for me. For me, I’m willing to pay higher-than-outlet prices for a special commission, like MTM. Haven’t done bespoke yet, but will commission something from @induere_to in the near future.

On a final note, it is strange that there are members here nitpicking/shaming the spending habits of people who like well-crafted menswear. This is literally a forum for people who appreciate those things to virtually congregate. And some of the same nitpickers are reselling said goods!

I absolutely was not shaming anyone. It just seems like everyone here has more money to spend on clothes than me. It's envy and admiration.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads