• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

induere_to

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of time in my day, and I know many others don't also.

But, ever since my shirts would come back feeling smaller many years ago, I found out that dry cleaners launder shirts in community barrels. So, your shirts are literally being washed along with your smelly neighbours' cheap non-iron polyester-blend sweat sponges. They are later heat-pressed, and those that aren't careful, which is most, will hand you back your shirts with the cuff and collar fusing separating which causes bubbling.

Never again.

Best way to launder you shirts is by hand, hang-dry and then press them when they're still damp but before they're completely dry. If you don't have time to hand-wash, machine wash on cold/warm. Make the time, your clothes will thank you.

hysteria

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of time in my day, and I know many others don't also.

But, ever since my shirts would come back feeling smaller many years ago, I found out that dry cleaners launder shirts in community barrels. So, your shirts are literally being washed along with your smelly neighbours' cheap non-iron polyester-blend sweat sponges. They are later heat-pressed, and those that aren't careful, which is most, will hand you back your shirts with the cuff and collar fusing separating which causes bubbling.

Never again.

Best way to launder you shirts is by hand, hang-dry and then press them when they're still damp but before they're completely dry. If you don't have time to hand-wash, machine wash on cold/warm. Make the time, your clothes will thank you.

do you have recommendations for products you use for hand-washing washing (e..g quality detergents that also won't ruin the integrity and softness of your fabric) ?

BlueSteel

Reaction score
They are a small operation and need to stay competitive against some of the more popular brands. Hugo Jacomet of Sartorial Talks on Youtube had great things to say about them. Their finishing is superb. I believe he had several suits commissioned by Manna.

How is this going to work for their usual 3 fittings? Are they returning to Toronto at another time later for subsequent fittings? Or is it expected the people who meet them in TO will later go to Napoli?

goof1972

Reaction score
Any recommendations for places that sell horn buttons for suits?

I want to replace the buttons of my suit.

MapleLeaf1967

Reaction score
How is this going to work for their usual 3 fittings? Are they returning to Toronto at another time later for subsequent fittings? Or is it expected the people who meet them in TO will later go to Napoli?

Going to Napoli will be necessary. I don’t mind. It will give me a chance to purchase other items while I am there and also enjoy a short holiday.

Reaction score
do you have recommendations for products you use for hand-washing washing (e..g quality detergents that also won't ruin the integrity and softness of your fabric) ?

While the question wasn't directed to me, I'll chime in with two suggestions. First, I like Laundress Unscented, which is consistently reliable but it is hard to find in Canada. In second place for me is locally produced Lemon Aide, which uses actual lemon essence rather than the synthetic lemon found in 99% of consumer products. I strongly prefer fragrance free, but this lemon aroma is very light.

And my current challenge is a self-inflicted stain on my most cherished shirt, a bespoke Charvet. At the start of the pandemic, we were being told to allow the health care system to use distilled water, so I started putting tap water in my iron. Unfortunately some mineral build up occurred and I blasted a rust-like substance at the shirt. I'll be trying various Laundress stain removal products when I calm down.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
I had success with https://www.ywbutton.com/ , although shipping took around a month to arrive.

To Canada, I assume (based on this being the Toronto thread)? Two times I tried to buy horn buttons for blazers (once from seller in US, and once from HK) in the last 2 months and both packages got seized at the Canadian border. Ridiculous.

goof1972

Reaction score
To Canada, I assume (based on this being the Toronto thread)? Two times I tried to buy horn buttons for blazers (once from seller in US, and once from HK) in the last 2 months and both packages got seized at the Canadian border. Ridiculous.
Seized? You mean they confiscated the buttons? Or did they apply duties to it?

Did customs provide a reason for their seizure? I'm thinking of buying some from Etsy.com.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Seized? You mean they confiscated the buttons? Or did they apply duties to it?

Did customs provide a reason for their seizure? I'm thinking of buying some from Etsy.com.

Yes - they were confiscated. Far as I can tell it is some ridiculous application of CITES, which makes it really difficult (nearly impossible) to ship certain animal and plant products into Canada without some crazy file of documents showing origin, etc.

I am sure tons of this stuff gets through without being checked. I know a guy in Ontario who has bought alligator watch straps from Vietnam through the mail - which were certainly not allowed to be imported. Just an issue of what packages they decide to inspect I suppose.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're willing to consider other brands, like Moneysworth...

Staples has best prices for 6 pack. Free shipping. I haven't been able to find a better price in Canada:

How is sizing? I'm a size 10. Doesn't say on the website what the sizing is

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads