• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

maebach

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that others are surprised with loosening dress codes at restaurants, even high end ones. It feels like it's been like this for a long time now.

Dressing up for a nicer dinner is fun though - it gives me an excuse to wear my Camoshita suit. My clothing interests lean towards casual/contemporary clothing nowdays, but it's always nice to see others suit up for a meal.

Here are a few places off the top of my head that I enjoyed, at different price points:

Richmond Station (across from Saks, on Richmond St. West)
R&D (Chinatown)
Yu Seafood (Yorkdale Mall and Richmond Hill)
Canoe (Financial District)
Taiichi (Financial District)

Though if we're talking good food generally speaking:

Sugo + Conzo's Pizza (Bloordale Village)
GB Hand Pulled Noodles (near Eaton Centre/the Atrium)
Santouka (Dundas/Church)
Maha's (Leslieville)
House of Gourmet (Chinatown)
Tanuki (J-Town, Steeles/Woodbine)
Madame Levant (East York)
Seven Lives (Kensington Market)
This guy eats

triathlete

Reaction score
Vassi has two tiers of suits. Half canvassed from Jack Victor that drape horribly (on me anyways).

And a selection of hand made suits from Caruso in the back. These pieces are stunning.
I just left behind two orphaned handmade canvass Carusos jackets in 50e and 52e at the VV. You’re right - among the nicest I’ve seen

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TimothyF

Reaction score
Let me know if I'm being lazy here, but can you suggest some great cleaner-combo-alterations places in still open in GTA? I'm looking to get some pants cleaned, waists let out, and a jacket cleaned and altered. In particular,
  • Either close to Downtown, or can pickup/deliver
  • Still open and working at high quality: if you are satisfied with someone's work, could you also mention most recent time of visit?
I would rank the following types of alterations in ascending difficulty. I don't mind splitting my stuff up to different places. Or one place for cleaning, another to tailoring shop.
  1. Trousers hemming/cuffing
  2. Letting in/out waist
  3. Tapering/letting out legs
  4. Jackets alteration: sleeve length, waist etc.
Happy to have a discussion on the various cleaners/tailors still available. Thank you in advance for any info!

triathlete

Reaction score
Let me know if I'm being lazy here, but can you suggest some great cleaner-combo-alterations places in still open in GTA? I'm looking to get some pants cleaned, waists let out, and a jacket cleaned and altered. In particular,
  • Still open and working at high quality: if you are satisfied with someone's work, could you also mention most recent time of visit?
I would rank the following types of alterations in ascending difficulty. I don't mind splitting my stuff up to different places. Or one place for cleaning, another to tailoring shop.
  2. Letting in/out waist
Happy to have a discussion on the various cleaners/tailors still available. Thank you in advance for any info!

I think you would be better better served if you severed the combined cleaner/tailor.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still use Xavier. I brought my Isaia coat to him back in December to do the sleeves & waist. Some complain he's too expensive but he has also never screwed up an alteration in my experience...

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  2. Letting in/out waist
Bucharest Tailor- 429 Eglinton Avenue West. Ask for Resh.

triathlete

Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for reweaving / invisible mending in the city? Cheeseworths on Mt Pleasant has stopped their service and I have a overcoat with a visible hole on the collar that I would like to repair.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for reweaving / invisible mending in the city? Cheeseworths on Mt Pleasant has stopped their service and I have a overcoat with a visible hole on the collar that I would like to repair.
I’m curious about this too - will be following for any info

Drzdave58

Reaction score
Can anyone here tell me who the best cobbler in Toronto is that can do a professional resole on GYW boots? Thank you

chiggyv

Reaction score
Can anyone here tell me who the best cobbler in Toronto is that can do a professional resole on GYW boots? Thank you

Paging resident expert @suitforcourt

In short there are no excellent cobblers in Toronto, only okay ones. Your best bet is to ship to Fix em up in Barrie or other cobblers in Sudbury, London, and around the province.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paging resident expert @suitforcourt

In short there are no excellent cobblers in Toronto, only okay ones. Your best bet is to ship to Fix em up in Barrie or other cobblers in Sudbury, London, and around the province.

I've had about 40 pairs of footwear rebuilt in the last few years. There are absolutely no cobblers in Toronto that I would trust to rebuild a GYW pair.

I've used and recommend the following Canadian cobblers (you can also find my reviews on them in separate threads that will have pictures of the results):

Dimar Shoe Repair in Guelph
Fix em up in Barrie
Coakleys in London
Heels n soles in Sudbury
Timeless in Thunder Bay
Ambros in Saskatoon
Quick Cobbler in Vancouver - make sure you insist that Ron or Pat do the work.

All of the above cobblers have facebook pages that show their work. Also, all except for Coakleys and Dimar have won awards at international competitions for shoe repair. A Toronto cobbler has never won any of the awards.

Prices vary, and of course shipping is additional. I don't mind paying extra for shipping because I know the work will be done properly.

Too many horror stories with Toronto cobblers. I won't risk it to save a bit on shipping.

I will be shipping to Quick Cobbler and Ambros in the future. If you want, throw your stuff into my box and save on the shipping. Of course you'll have to drop off with me.

Drzdave58

Reaction score
I've had about 40 pairs of footwear rebuilt in the last few years. There are absolutely no cobblers in Toronto that I would trust to rebuild a GYW pair.

I've used and recommend the following Canadian cobblers (you can also find my reviews on them in separate threads that will have pictures of the results):

Dimar Shoe Repair in Guelph
Fix em up in Barrie
Coakleys in London
Heels n soles in Sudbury
Timeless in Thunder Bay
Ambros in Saskatoon
Quick Cobbler in Vancouver - make sure you insist that Ron or Pat do the work.

All of the above cobblers have facebook pages that show their work. Also, all except for Coakleys and Dimar have won awards at international competitions for shoe repair. A Toronto cobbler has never won any of the awards.

Prices vary, and of course shipping is additional. I don't mind paying extra for shipping because I know the work will be done properly.

Too many horror stories with Toronto cobblers. I won't risk it to save a bit on shipping.

I will be shipping to Quick Cobbler and Ambros in the future. If you want, throw your stuff into my box and save on the shipping. Of course you'll have to drop off with me.
Thank you very much!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads