• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KWang94

Reaction score
Why are we questioning this man's decision to dress up for dinner? I, for one, applaud you for taking the time to do so in this day and age. I definitely miss wearing suits, sportscoats/trousers and a good pair of dress shoes/boots.

Agreed, especially since this forum is literally for menswear nerds/losers like you and me who live in our mothers' basements in order to afford buying nice ****.

Dude wants to dress up? Let the man do what he wants to do. Sheesh.

partenopean

Reaction score
That's an acclaimed restaurant. I haven't been there, but I've been (pre-pandemic) to Sketch, Gordon Ramsay on Hospital Road, Alain Ducasse at Plaza Athenee, Quince, etc., etc. I've never seen anyone wearing a t-shirt, though plenty of men wearing suits without ties and similar.

I am a little surprised. These restauarants often have lengthy waiting lists, and for many, a visit is a notable event.

That was my go-to for a high-end restau before 2020 -- suit without tie.

I like a 3-piece suit in a luxurious fabric. Especially during colder weather.

This way, can also carry-off non-trad footwear.....alligator leather is my preference.

Bersabee

Reaction score
On the topic of high-end restaurants, does anyone have any good recommendations in Toronto? Tbh doesn't even need to be high-end. Any good eats is appreciated.

I've heard good things about Auberge du Pommier, Alo, Sara, and Mamakas.

partenopean

Reaction score
On the topic of high-end restaurants, does anyone have any good recommendations in Toronto? Tbh doesn't even need to be high-end. Any good eats is appreciated.

Funny you mentioned this-- the first 2 on this list are the two I deliberately dressed up for...

KWang94

Reaction score

I really like George on Queen E. Area itself ain't great but the place has been fantastic both times I've been there.

For something more budget friendly, I'm also a huge fan of Egg Club near Eaton Centre

Bersabee

Reaction score
I really like George on Queen E. Area itself ain't great but the place has been fantastic both times I've been there.

For something more budget friendly, I'm also a huge fan of Egg Club near Eaton Centre

One of my friends mentioned George. Maybe I'll check it on in the near future.

How'd you do on your CFA exam? Results came out today.

KWang94

Reaction score
One of my friends mentioned George. Maybe I'll check it on in the near future.

How'd you do on your CFA exam? Results came out today.

It's great but pretty damn pricey.

CFA went well! I actually passed. Just a bit below 90th percentile. Hope things went well for you

Bersabee

Reaction score
It's great but pretty damn pricey.

CFA went well! I actually passed. Just a bit below 90th percentile. Hope things went well for you

Yeah I passed too. Got destroyed in Portfolio Management somehow. Glad that's over with tho, one more to go.

Are you planning to write in may or Aug?

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that others are surprised with loosening dress codes at restaurants, even high end ones. It feels like it's been like this for a long time now.

Dressing up for a nicer dinner is fun though - it gives me an excuse to wear my Camoshita suit. My clothing interests lean towards casual/contemporary clothing nowdays, but it's always nice to see others suit up for a meal.

Here are a few places off the top of my head that I enjoyed, at different price points:

Richmond Station (across from Saks, on Richmond St. West)
R&D (Chinatown)
Yu Seafood (Yorkdale Mall and Richmond Hill)
Canoe (Financial District)
Taiichi (Financial District)

Though if we're talking good food generally speaking:

Sugo + Conzo's Pizza (Bloordale Village)
GB Hand Pulled Noodles (near Eaton Centre/the Atrium)
Santouka (Dundas/Church)
Maha's (Leslieville)
House of Gourmet (Chinatown)
Tanuki (J-Town, Steeles/Woodbine)
Madame Levant (East York)
Seven Lives (Kensington Market)

Bersabee

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that others are surprised with loosening dress codes at restaurants, even high end ones. It feels like it's been like this for a long time now.

Dressing up for a nicer dinner is fun though - it gives me an excuse to wear my Camoshita suit. My clothing interests lean towards casual/contemporary clothing nowdays, but it's always nice to see others suit up for a meal.

Here are a few places off the top of my head that I enjoyed, at different price points:

Richmond Station (across from Saks, on Richmond St. West)
R&D (Chinatown)
Yu Seafood (Yorkdale Mall and Richmond Hill)
Canoe (Financial District)
Taiichi (Financial District)

Though if we're talking good food generally speaking:

Sugo + Conzo's Pizza (Bloordale Village)
GB Hand Pulled Noodles (near Eaton Centre/the Atrium)
Santouka (Dundas/Church)
Maha's (Leslieville)
House of Gourmet (Chinatown)
Tanuki (J-Town, Steeles/Woodbine)
Madame Levant (East York)
Seven Lives (Kensington Market)
Thanks for the recommendations! Will definitely check these out in the near future. Sugo and Conzo's look YUM!

Bjorling

Reaction score
Two small places I've enjoyed during the lockdown:
MoMo House at Bay/Bloor
Emmer on Harbord for bread and sandwiches

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads