• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

partenopean

Reaction score
Let's be honest, there's no market for these brands here as much as we SFer like to believe. That's why stores like Leather Foot went out of business.

I respectly disagree.

Leatherfoot was odd from the get-go. I was there several times in 2013 and 2014, and spent several hours with the owner (the Nigerian gentleman) as well as their salesman Arnie / Arne (?) and the saleslady (Nicki?).

The salespeople were idiots. They had absolutely no clue what they were talking about. They assumed their customer was also an idiot with no knowledge of any shoes brands, manufacturing methods, or traditions, other than the mass-market, Euronext-list company crap that was sold in the neighborhood at Renfrew or Harry Rosen.

Arnie was up on the whatever the blogs were recommending (like polishing shoes with whiskey) and handling wildlife photography-grade SLR cameras to photograph shoes....so they knew how to make the Internet community feel at home in their store.

However, if you had moved to Toronto from the UK after wearing Church's through school (and sometimes in university), as well as your first job in the City, you were genuinely horrified.

The owner struck me as independently wealthy, and without any interest in the business, though he, unlike Arnie, was clearly familiar with the various classic brands.

Someone told me they opened a leatherfoot in Dubai????! Like, what???? Was the owner based there?

They moved from that Yorkville balcony, to that house on the west side of Avenue Road....I went there looking for some Aldens, they had disappeared by then....

There are something always odd about that place. I can't put my finger on it. But like Hazelton V....something wasn't right.

Nicolas, however, on the other hand.....it is scary how well he knows his stuff (and how quickly he can size up a customer....)

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's be honest, there's no market for these brands here as much as we SFer like to believe. That's why stores like Leather Foot went out of business.
Leatherfoot went out of business for the enormous rent they were paying and the owner loosing interest.
C&J and EG has a market in Toronto!
But not the SF common crowd who looks for discounts 365 days a year ??

partenopean

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't believe Leatherfoot stocked any Northampton-made shoes.

I remember this vividly, because Arnie had no idea what Northhampton was -- person, place, or thing.

After 18 months, I went to Yorkville last Friday. There is an Isaia opening-up or opened-up at the corner of Bellair and Yorkville Avenue. I peered through the window -- there seems to be an aperitivo bar, like a coffee shop in Italy....

What the hell is going to happen there!???? Bar meets buying a suit??!??

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@suitforcourt If anyone is doing to Toronto group visit, I'm down.

FWIW -- I used to work in Brookfield Place. I started doing my own thing in 2019, so I have been away for a while, but the whole place was Zombie Apocalypse the last time I was there in September.

Does anyone here work in the financial district, and actually go in to work? Until that comes back full force to March 12, 2020 levels, Classic Menswear in Toronto is dead.

I'm picking up the second pair in 2-3 weeks once they arrive. I will message here and see if anyone is interested in a group visit. His hours are only 10am to 3pm.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't believe Leatherfoot stocked any Northampton-made shoes.

I remember this vividly, because Arnie had no idea what Northhampton was -- person, place, or thing.

After 18 months, I went to Yorkville last Friday. There is an Isaia opening-up or opened-up at the corner of Bellair and Yorkville Avenue. I peered through the window -- there seems to be an aperitivo bar, like a coffee shop in Italy....

I purchased a few pairs of Crockett & Jones from Leatherfoot. Not surprised by the coffee shop there as many so called bespoke boutiques offer scotch with **** made to measure suits in town. They do mostly call them bespoke ??‍♂️.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW -- I used to work in Brookfield Place. I started doing my own thing in 2019, so I have been away for a while, but the whole place was Zombie Apocalypse the last time I was there in September.

Does anyone here work in the financial district, and actually go in to work? Until that comes back full force to March 12, 2020 levels, Classic Menswear in Toronto is dead.

I used to work at one of the towers on Wellington. My team went remote a little later than others in my department, as my work was more essential in nature and they had to figure out the logistics of us working from home. I switched jobs in August and happened to be back in the area that same month, and it was depressing how empty the PATH was at 3pm.

It always felt as if CM in the financial district was fading, but the pandemic certainly accellerated that. Myself included: my workplace had relaxed their dress code long before I joined. I'd wear a suit once a week at most.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's Italian - you have an espresso while they measure you.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We can spend days here dissecting why LF failed, but if there's an opportunity there, there would've been another store opened by now.

I agree. The Toronto market doesn't seem to support well made men's footwear.

On a side note, Ivor informed me that Alphonse, the cobbler at Bay Bloor Shoe Repair passed away in the summer. It has been taken over by another person.

With Alphonse's passing, there is not one cobbler in Toronto proper I would trust with shoe repair. I will just continue shipping my stuff out.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's just not a thing here. It's just like women's shoes is not a thing in Winnipeg.

20211007_102026.jpg

iliamerk

Reaction score

On a side note, Ivor informed me that Alphonse, the cobbler at Bay Bloor Shoe Repair passed away in the summer. It has been taken over by another person.

With Alphonse's passing, there is not one cobbler in Toronto proper I would trust with shoe repair. I will just continue shipping my stuff out.

I've been meaning to ask you. Do you have any suggestions where I can find a good selection of Saphir shoe care products in store? I know Rob's Best Foot Forward has a some selection, wondering if you know of any other shops?

KWang94

Reaction score

I just got an offer at a Big 5 bank in their AM division. Expectation is to be in the office 2-3x a week.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it’ll be another few months until the PATH is close to 50% of what it was (and who knows how long, if ever, until it gets to 100%). I’m in FCP and we’re in office roughly once a week. The numbers grew slowly over the past few weeks but we’re still at probably 20% of capacity. Half of the stores are still closed or closed for good.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask you. Do you have any suggestions where I can find a good selection of Saphir shoe care products in store? I know Rob's Best Foot Forward has a some selection, wondering if you know of any other shops?

Either Rob's or GTA Shoe Shine, as he is a quick drive from my house. Otherwise I normally pick up supplies when I visit Dimar in Guelph or Fix em Up in Barrie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads