• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vaguely recall asking him about CJ & EG several years ago and he said that it was in a different price range than what he was targeting so he wasn't looking to stock them

Let's be honest, there's no market for these brands here as much as we SFer like to believe. That's why stores like Leather Foot went out of business.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's be honest, there's no market for these brands here as much as we SFer like to believe. That's why stores like Leather Foot went out of business.

I disagree, somewhat.

A store like Via Cavour or Kiton does well in Yorkville. And they sell lesser known brands like Attolini and Orazio.

Last edited:

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's be honest, there's no market for these brands here at retail price as much as we SFer like to believe. That's why stores like Leather Foot went out of business.

Fixed.

On a less facetious note: I understand your sentiment, though like @othertravel I also somewhat disagree. I think the market is there, but it would require time and commitment to build up a good shoe section of an existing CM menswear store, or a store dedicated to them. Finding and cultivating clientele that won't always hope/wait for significant discounts (40%+), building a robust online presence for local/national/international reach and sales, having great customer service, training your employees on proper shoe fitting + supporting them, this all needs to click.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fixed.

On a less facetious note: I understand your sentiment, though like @othertravel I also somewhat disagree. I think the market is there, but it would require time and commitment to build up a good shoe section of an existing CM menswear store, or a store dedicated to them. Finding and cultivating clientele that won't always hope/wait for significant discounts (40%+), building a robust online presence for local/national/international reach and sales, having great customer service, training your employees on proper shoe fitting + supporting them, this all needs to click.

Might have better luck playing Lotto 649.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might have better luck playing Lotto 649.

You know it! Even the casual menswear boutiques are slowly starting to buy brands I like and enjoy that previously didn't have a presence in the city (Sage de Cret, South2West8, Batoner). Meanwhile, most of my CM-leaning brands of choice either haven't/never made it up here or require a dedicated trip to Hamilton.

Last edited:

SFA_CA

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a dry-cleaner (preferably that does wet cleaning and doesn’t source it out) that can properly handle suits that are a 3-2 roll? Last 2 suits I took for dry cleaning a year back, they pressed my 3-2 suit jackets (Ringjacket) as a hard 3.. took me a week to safely try and correct it (I have my own iron steam press). So never again.. didn’t really want to confront the wet-cleaning store as it was clearly a sloppy job, they burnt and pressed the buttons on the pants.

I need a place that can hopefully properly deal with me taking my stuff in every 6 months (my rotation of cleaning is every 6-8 months).

I want to try and give the wet-cleaner I used to take my stuff in another chance, but I just have a feeling they are over their head.. I don’t want to deal with even bringing in a pair of MTM pleated pants.

price isn’t the biggest concern as long as the work is of quality and I’m supporting a local business.
I don’t want to name the wet-clean store that did this as I don’t think anything malicious was done.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a dry-cleaner (preferably that does wet cleaning and doesn’t source it out) that can properly handle suits that are a 3-2 roll? Last 2 suits I took for dry cleaning a year back, they pressed my 3-2 suit jackets (Ringjacket) as a hard 3.. took me a week to safely try and correct it (I have my own iron steam press). So never again.. didn’t really want to confront the wet-cleaning store as it was clearly a sloppy job, they burnt and pressed the buttons on the pants.

I need a place that can hopefully properly deal with me taking my stuff in every 6 months (my rotation of cleaning is every 6-8 months).

I want to try and give the wet-cleaner I used to take my stuff in another chance, but I just have a feeling they are over their head.. I don’t want to deal with even bringing in a pair of MTM pleated pants.

price isn’t the biggest concern as long as the work is of quality and I’m supporting a local business.
I don’t want to name the wet-clean store that did this as I don’t think anything malicious was done.
Creeds…..one of the best in the city. I’m not sure about the wet cleaning part but give them a call and explain what you’re looking for and see what they say.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dropped by Ivor's store today and picked up 2 pairs of boots.

Loake Roehampton in oxblood as I love the pebbled look:

And Loake Burford in tan:

Both fit snug with thicker wool socks so won't be able to use winter insoles. It's always nice to visit Ivor. Never pushy and ensures shoes fit properly.

If anyone is into Trickers, he is clearing those out for over half price. I tried on a pair that have the blind stitched soles. Just not my style and fit wasn't that great.

He also hired another salesman, but Ivor did indicate business is really hurting.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dropped by Ivor's store today and picked up 2 pairs of boots.

Loake Roehampton in oxblood as I love the pebbled look:

And Loake Burford in tan:

Both fit snug with thicker wool socks so won't be able to use winter insoles. It's always nice to visit Ivor. Never pushy and ensures shoes fit properly.

If anyone is into Trickers, he is clearing those out for over half price. I tried on a pair that have the blind stitched soles. Just not my style and fit wasn't that great.

He also hired another salesman, but Ivor did indicate business is really hurting.

Thank you for sharing. I’m going to drop Ivor an email.

partenopean

Reaction score
@suitforcourt If anyone is doing to Toronto group visit, I'm down.

FWIW -- I used to work in Brookfield Place. I started doing my own thing in 2019, so I have been away for a while, but the whole place was Zombie Apocalypse the last time I was there in September.

Does anyone here work in the financial district, and actually go in to work? Until that comes back full force to March 12, 2020 levels, Classic Menswear in Toronto is dead.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads