• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can recommend many cobblers outside of Toronto. In my opinion, the ones in Toronto do inconsistent work or won't use materials I want.

Closest ones are Dimar in Guelph, and Fix em up in Barrie. I have reviews of them in separate threads.

If you're willing to ship, that really opens up things. If you want some more recommendations, let me know.

+1 for Fix em Up, even though I didn't end up getting any work done: one of my pairs that @suitforcourt helped me bring up last year needed the inner leather lining and stitching replaced, and Corey didn't recommend that I go through with it because he didn't have the right machinery (yet) to do an adequate job. (This would have been a $400-500 job, most likely.) He also told me that my pair of Alden captoes still had enough life on them and that I could hold off on a resole. I respect that kind of honesty and I'm definitely going to him once they truly need it.

Here's hoping that he'll establish a drop off spot somewhere in the GTA at some point, if only to make it easier for others to send stuff up to him.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Yikes. Do you think the leather of the outsole might have something to do with it, or do you just put them through their paces?
Probably their paces..try to get in a minimum of 5k each day walking...might stretch to 10+ ...keep telling myself I should wear runners or something but just like weary my boots while walking. ?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably their paces..try to get in a minimum of 5k each day walking...might stretch to 10+ ...keep telling myself I should wear runners or something but just like weary my boots while walking. ?

When it comes to leather outsole, I recommend a rubber sole protector for extra grip and to slow down wear. That way, you can simply replace the rubber piece when that wears out, and save the leather soles for a while. Recessed toe taps also help, in my experience.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
When it comes to leather outsole, I recommend a rubber sole protector....
Yep totally agree, covid sort of put up a barrier up on that front for awhile. :oops:
...my local cobbler more or less retired prior to my recently acquired appreciation of Northhampton boots and shoes.....

Bersabee

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Sydney's, more specifically with his MTM/"Contemporary Bespoke" stuff?

If you have any pictures of the end product it would be greatly appreciated!

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Sydney's, more specifically with his MTM/"Contemporary Bespoke" stuff?

MTM / Contemporary Bespoke? Can you please elaborate on this term? I am not sure how MTM and bespoke are or could be used in the same sentence.

Bersabee

Reaction score
MTM / Contemporary Bespoke? Can you please elaborate on this term? I am not sure how MTM and bespoke are or could be used in the same sentence.

From my understanding, his "contemporary bespoke" service is more MTM where he measures you and does the alterations but the suit is not made in-house and he doesn't create a pattern from scratch.

Just was wondering if anyone had any experiences with him, specifically with this service.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my understanding, his "contemporary bespoke" service is more MTM where he measures you and does the alterations but the suit is not made in-house and he doesn't create a pattern from scratch.

Just was wondering if anyone had any experiences with him, specifically with this service.
He should not be using the term bespoke then as that service is not bespoke. I would not be comfortable dealing with a shop that is misleading to begin with. Hopefully someone here might be able to give you some insights on Sydney’s made to measure service.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harry Rosen Bloor offering full bespoke suits for as low as $2631. Fabric is limited at lower price range.

Spex

Reaction score

Sydney’s seems to come up in “best of Toronto” lists, and I suppose their clientele have different tastes than SF members, but are most of their jackets this short? Seems like what I’d expect from somewhere ala International Clothiers. What am I missing here? (Ok, I’m sure that material and construction

And whats up with the sleeve cuffs here?

Bersabee

Reaction score
Sydney’s seems to come up in “best of Toronto” lists, and I suppose their clientele have different tastes than SF members, but are most of their jackets this short? Seems like what I’d expect from somewhere ala International Clothiers. What am I missing here? (Ok, I’m sure that material and construction

And whats up with the sleeve cuffs here?

His bespoke pictures seem to lean more toward SF style. But yea, his RTW collection is very "hip".

maebach

Reaction score
Definitely a different cut, but it suits me and I like it. I have 3 Sydneys suits. A good friend of mine is a die-hard SF-er and he tells me the material is sh*t. Take that for what you will...

Bersabee

Reaction score
Definitely a different cut, but it suits me and I like it. I have 3 Sydneys suits. A good friend of mine is a die-hard SF-er and he tells me the material is sh*t. Take that for what you will...
Do you mean the fabric? Or more the construction? His bespoke offering uses fabrics from the large mills (VBC, Loro Piana, etc...)

maebach

Reaction score
Do you mean the fabric? Or more the construction? His bespoke offering uses fabrics from the large mills (VBC, Loro Piana, etc...)

Fabrics. Although my suits were purchased ~5-6 years ago and were on the low-mid range. Its possible his higher end suits have better materials or perhaps his materials have changed since when I bought his suits? I know one of the suits I bought has material from S. Cohen

chiggyv

Reaction score
What are the go to Winners in the GTA for occasional SF approved finds? Based on my recent-ish finds (just before the pandemic to now):

Bathurst/Lawrence - Eton Shirts, a weird selection of MiUSA shirting (Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman, etc.)

College Park - At some point prepandemic they had a dumping of offseason Corridor NYC. Lots of Polo RL, some Samuelson tailoring

Vaughan Mills - Caught some Levi's Vintage there about a year ago

Hoping someone can point me towards a similarly stocked location in the Mississauga/North York/Markham areas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads