• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KWang94

Reaction score
Anyone ever used a forward shipping/proxy service, ie Shipito? Any recommendations?

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use shipito. It's pretty straight forward and easy to use.

siddeh

Reaction score
I use shipito. It's pretty straight forward and easy to use.

Never used a proxy service, so I'm curious; once I get it shipped from the US address to Canada, am I the one who is responsible for declaring value for customs (i.e., I can put in whatever declaration value to minimize taxes/duties)?

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use ZenMarket and Buyee for my purchases from Japan. Very handy to have since most places won't ship to you. EMS being down has been a bummer though - I've avoided proxying from Japan for the time being as a result.

I've used Cross Border Pickups as well, but being unable to declare the value on items kills a good chunk of your savings IME. I try to only use them if I'm buying smaller items below the $20 threshold.

Does Shipito allow you to declare the value on your own items?

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you do the custom declaration yourself. You can get them to remove the invoice, price tag at extra charge.

Ziqianzhu

Reaction score
Never used a proxy service, so I'm curious; once I get it shipped from the US address to Canada, am I the one who is responsible for declaring value for customs (i.e., I can put in whatever declaration value to minimize taxes/duties)?
I have been using usgobuy and I declare the value myself.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use ZenMarket and Buyee for my purchases from Japan. Very handy to have since most places won't ship to you. EMS being down has been a bummer though - I've avoided proxying from Japan for the time being as a result.

I've used Cross Border Pickups as well, but being unable to declare the value on items kills a good chunk of your savings IME. I try to only use them if I'm buying smaller items below the $20 threshold.

Does Shipito allow you to declare the value on your own items?

It's been a few months, but I've always declared my own values for CBP. I normally ask the seller to include the invoice in the box, in the event my declaration is challenged.

Omega Man

Reaction score
What happened to Japan's EMS? I bought something from Japan and the seller is telling me Canada Post don't / can't accept EMS for the time being.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
It’s not Canada Post. EMS normally travels via the cargo holds of passenger planes, but there aren’t any flights due to Covid.

Sym

Reaction score
Any good and affordable cobblers for topys in or outside the GTA? I emailed a few places and quoted $40-$50 for women's heels/boots which is out of the range I would like to spend as there are 6 pairs.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any good and affordable cobblers for topys in or outside the GTA? I emailed a few places and quoted $40-$50 for women's heels/boots which is out of the range I would like to spend as there are 6 pairs.

Not able to answer your question as posed, but I do want to caution that you take care with this. I've been to a few more 'affordable' cobblers in Toronto that made a complete mess of my shoes before. Luckily they weren't pairs I cared about very much, but you definitely get what you pay for sometimes.

If anyone else has more helpful info, I'd appreciate it myself. The last time I had repairs was in NYC.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not able to answer your question as posed, but I do want to caution that you take care with this. I've been to a few more 'affordable' cobblers in Toronto that made a complete mess of my shoes before. Luckily they weren't pairs I cared about very much, but you definitely get what you pay for sometimes.

If anyone else has more helpful info, I'd appreciate it myself. The last time I had repairs was in NYC.

I have personally used the following cobblers in proximity to Toronto, and I endorse them:

In Guelph - Dimar shoe repair.

Barrie - Fix em up shoe repair.

London - Coakleys.

I've also used cobblers in Sudbury, Thunder Bay, and Vancouver, and Saskatoon. You can check out the threads I created for each.

If you're not in a rush, I am mailing some stuff to Dimar in Guelph, Heels n Soles in Sudbury, and Quick Cobbler in Vancouver. We can meet up, and you can throw your stuff into my shipping box. No charge.

You will have to pay for the return postage, but in my experience, if it's a big job, the cobbler will cover return postage to you.

Sadly, there are no decent cobblers in Toronto proper. None that I am willing to use. Even for topy work.

induere_to

Reaction score
So, what's up? Are we supporting local/small businesses or are we lining up for hours at Winners/Homesense trying to save a buck? I'm torn.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what's up? Are we supporting local/small businesses or are we lining up for hours at Winners/Homesense trying to save a buck? I'm torn.

A little bit of both, depending on what it is.

I've written about this before, but I've made a conscious decision to curb back on clothes spending to bolster my finances. I've gone down a pant size thanks to weight loss over the course of 13 months, so I needed to buy new pants and modify existing ones.

So far on the clothing front, my money has only gone towards small businesses. I've only purchased four clothing/footwear items this yea: a pair of Nike Air Max 90s from Capsule in January that I've since sold because I didn't see myself wearing them anytime soon, and three pairs of pants (Fujito, Monitaly, Kaptain Sunshine) from No Man Walks Alone last month, with my sister contributing to some of my order as a belated birthday present.

I may make a purchase from Lost & Found or Uncle Otis at some point in the next one or two months, if budget allows. No money has gone towards CM-esque stuff because my current lifestyle doesn't warrant it, despite having a couple of Harry Rosen gift cards that I'm itching to use.

I have been throwing a bit of money into a couple of my other hobbies. Some money has gone to independent bookstores, while some of it went to Chapters/Indigo during the appropriate sale.

Otherwise, I've been patronizing smaller Asian supermarkets for roughly 75% of my groceries, with the rest of it reluctantly going towards the Westons in one capacity or another.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't actually stepped foot in a Winners in years, and that was only because I was dragged into one reluctantly.

Basically every store I've been to so far has been surrounded by lines... for the big stores next door. I've never had to wait long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics