• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Duties should be exempt

Why? NAFTA and CETA only work if you order items made in those jurisdictions from sellers also located in those jurisdictions. You can’t mix and match (eg ordering Aldens from Spain).

rwtc

Reaction score
Why? NAFTA and CETA only work if you order items made in those jurisdictions from sellers also located in those jurisdictions. You can’t mix and match (eg ordering Aldens from Spain).

Good to know, thx. Usually only place orders directly from the manufacturer, so was unaware

Would be interesting to know the cost differential between ordering directly from Carmina vs a US based vendor

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like they shipped UPS ground. It’s the worst service. Fees are based on item value. Last time I got hit it was because Garmentory didn’t specify what service their stores were using.

It is almost always worth it to upgrade to air service, because you save on the brokerage.
I was not given any other option. I have ordered over 30 pairs of shoes from everywhere this is the first time I have witnessed this. I did get charged for duties for a pair of Vass that was shipped from US but this is $$$$

chiggyv

Reaction score
I've never actually done this but you could self-clear to save the brokerage fee. Or does that process need to have started sooner?

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never actually done this but you could self-clear to save the brokerage fee. Or does that process need to have started sooner?
I did call UPS and asked them that I would like to self clear. Waiting for reply.

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
I am not sure if anyone is interested but Brook Brothers is selling a few Red Fleece sneakers for $30 + $15 shipping. It was a bit annoying having to pay for delivery knowing that it takes me like 25min to get to the store close to Union Station. The sneakers are stitched (not cemented) made in El Salvador, and the suede looks pretty nice. Quality wise, they look pretty decent. (I took my regular sneaker size)

Last edited:

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a pair of Carmina suede Chelsea from Gentlemen’s Footwear! I have never paid anything this this for UPS/ customs duties.
I was able to self declare but was charged duties and HST. Paid $122.00 instead of the $182.84 asked by UPS to pay. Not going to purchase anything from a vendor that ships by UPS.

Omega Man

Reaction score
For the benefit of the folks here, would love to hear how you did it. FedEx and DHL are doing the same thing. USPS and Royal Mail (British) is a hit and miss.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the benefit of the folks here, would love to hear how you did it. FedEx and DHL are doing the same thing. USPS and Royal Mail (British) is a hit and miss.
I declined delivery and then called UPS to email me the clearance documents. Took those documents to Canada Customs office outside Toronto Pearson Airport ( closest one to me) and paid the taxes and duties. UPS has to provide you with the clearance documents upon request. Emailed them the stamped documents for all dues paid in full.

Them bitches better ship my Carmina Suede Chelsea boots now!!?

whirlwynds

Reaction score
I declined delivery and then called UPS to email me the clearance documents. Took those documents to Canada Customs office outside Toronto Pearson Airport ( closest one to me) and paid the taxes and duties. UPS has to provide you with the clearance documents upon request. Emailed them the stamped documents for all dues paid in full.

Them bitches better ship my Carmina Suede Chelsea boots now!!?
Very nice! So a savings of $60, but you had to go to the airport to clear customs? Do you know if you can clear by email/fax/mail?

inTROYspection

Reaction score
Drake's flannel cotton gun check overshirt. Brand new with tags. Size Medium.

Popular item from the FW 2019 collection and no longer in stock anywhere. Looked around for this for months and finally located it, but unfortunately this a catch and release because I think I need a Large.

Ended up paying $620 CAD (including duty charges). Asking $475 CAD shipped.

MEASUREMENTS:
- Chest (pit to pit): 57cm / 22.25"
- Shoulders: 44cm / 17.25"
- Back length: 75cm / 29.5"

Drake's Gun Check Flannel Overshirt 2.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics