• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

induere_to

Reaction score
Seeing as how SM is no longer downtown (I don't drive so I'm not willing to go all the way to Mississauga), who would you guys say is the best MTM option (shirts and suits) in the city?

;)

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how SM is no longer downtown (I don't drive so I'm not willing to go all the way to Mississauga), who would you guys say is the best MTM option (shirts and suits) in the city?
@induere_to and I’m not knocking any other maker down including Spier. I have garments made by Spier as well as other local makers. Reach out to Tim and he is downtown.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit Supply and Harry Rosen both offer MTM
Harry Rosen made to measure is a total disaster! Commission structured folks that cant measure properly is what I know. Suit Supply is downtown ? But that is my soul experience.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harry Rosen made to measure is a total disaster! Commission structured folks that cant measure properly is what I know. Suit Supply is downtown ? But that is my soul experience.

I think any MTM is highly dependent on the SA. Back in the day there used to be dedicated measurers or SAs that were properly trained to measure.

Almost an impossible task now to get the job done properly unless you're in Naples or Savile Row...

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think any MTM is highly dependent on the SA. Back in the day there used to be dedicated measurers or SAs that were properly trained to measure.

Almost an impossible task now to get the job done properly unless you're in Naples or Savile Row...
I agree with everything you just mentioned with the exception of just Naples and Savile Row getting it done. Tons of excellent boutiques out there depending on your style and taste. But the question was for local Toronto outlet. Excellent tailors in Spain, Korea, Hong Kong.... BNtailor is no joke IMO but then again I were trying to answer the gentlemen’s question for a replacement to Spier or similar to Spier.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything you just mentioned with the exception of just Naples and Savile Row getting it done. Tons of excellent boutiques out there depending on your style and taste. But the question was for local Toronto outlet. Excellent tailors in Spain, Korea, Hong Kong.... BNtailor is no joke IMO but then again I were trying to answer the gentlemen’s question for a replacement to Spier or similar to Spier.

Harry Rosen is fine, but you need a good understanding of what fit details work right for you. That is, it shouldn’t be a passive process.

Ive had decent results with their MTM, but takes trial and error.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a pair of Carmina suede Chelsea from Gentlemen’s Footwear! I have never paid anything this this for UPS/ customs duties.

Attachments

• E9932C35-FFFE-452E-B198-051D134D1C0E.png
    E9932C35-FFFE-452E-B198-051D134D1C0E.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 128

Omega Man

Reaction score
Wow, that's nuts. UPS/FedEx/DHL almost always hit you with brokerage charges. Depending on the value of the shoes, duty/taxes on top of that. Hefty price to pay on top of the shoes....

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Wow, that's nuts. UPS/FedEx/DHL almost always hit you with brokerage charges. Depending on the value of the shoes, duty/taxes on top of that. Hefty price to pay on top of the shoes....

Looks like they shipped UPS ground. It’s the worst service. Fees are based on item value. Last time I got hit it was because Garmentory didn’t specify what service their stores were using.

It is almost always worth it to upgrade to air service, because you save on the brokerage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads