• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup - I actually drove to his store (from Brampton) to get some work done due to your posts. Thanks bud.

I saw your shoes getting toe taps. You sir, have an exquisite collection.

chiggyv

Reaction score
If you're in Barrie and need Saphir products, I would highly recommend Fix-Em-Up Shoe Repair. Corey is an A+ dude.

Is Corey open during lockdown? I was hoping to drop Some pairs off but his voicemail indicates that they're closed.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Corey open during lockdown? I was hoping to drop Some pairs off but his voicemail indicates that they're closed.

Contact him via Facebook. He might take drop off work, but just ask. My stuff is stuck at the shop for a while.

pyunghwa

Reaction score
It's good to hear there's a good cobbler close by. I have a pair of vintage florsheims that need to be resoled. How much does Corey charge for something like that?

pyunghwa

Reaction score
Also, does anyone have experience with moneysworth shoe cream? I have heard a lot of great things re: saphir but had a hard time justifying the cost.

I found this interesting video, and I have to say it's the most "scientific" comparison of the different creams out there:

When I tried to look up other people's rationale of how and why saphir was better, it seemed to sound subjective, more taken by the marketing/heritage of the product vs the actual quality itself. Would love to hear other people's thoughts on this.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's good to hear there's a good cobbler close by. I have a pair of vintage florsheims that need to be resoled. How much does Corey charge for something like that?

generally, You'll need to initiate contact with him and he'll provide you with a quote. But @suitforcourt can likely provide insight.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Corey will give you a quote. There are some other cobblers I really like. I generally mail most of my stuff as there are no decent cobblers in Toronto proper.

Reach out to him on Facebook.

KWang94

Reaction score
Seeing as how SM is no longer downtown (I don't drive so I'm not willing to go all the way to Mississauga), who would you guys say is the best MTM option (shirts and suits) in the city?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, does anyone have experience with moneysworth shoe cream? I have heard a lot of great things re: saphir but had a hard time justifying the cost.

I found this interesting video, and I have to say it's the most "scientific" comparison of the different creams out there:

When I tried to look up other people's rationale of how and why saphir was better, it seemed to sound subjective, more taken by the marketing/heritage of the product vs the actual quality itself. Would love to hear other people's thoughts on this.

I have Moneysworth and Saphir shoe products. It's definitely subjective, and I own over 100 pairs of footwear. Mostly vintage dress shoes.

Moneysworth shoe cream gets the job done. Doesn't cause damage like wax or mink oil and doesn't smell atrocious.

I use Saphir Renovateur and their neutral polish a lot because I find it does provide the protection I want.

I also use Bickmore 4 and Venetian Shoe cream to condition and maintain.

Many will never use anything but Saphir. But none of my shoes or boots have exploded or melted on me because I used a different brand of product.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It does depend on the work that needs to be done, and the brand of parts you want.

For example, if it's a simple full leather recraft, I believe he starts at $150. That gets you new cork filling, leather outsole stitched, and new heels. He always polishes and usually throws in a pair of laces. This would be his house leather.

If you want say a better leather sole like JR, it will definitely cost more. I usually choose JR leather sole, and I like cat paw heels. Last I remember, he was charging 180 for that package.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
That's a pretty reasonable price for a JR resole. I had emailed a couple of shoe cobblers in the US and they quoted around $300 for a JR resole, not including shipping.

It does depend on the work that needs to be done, and the brand of parts you want.

For example, if it's a simple full leather recraft, I believe he starts at $150. That gets you new cork filling, leather outsole stitched, and new heels. He always polishes and usually throws in a pair of laces. This would be his house leather.

If you want say a better leather sole like JR, it will definitely cost more. I usually choose JR leather sole, and I like cat paw heels. Last I remember, he was charging 180 for that package.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty reasonable price for a JR resole. I had emailed a couple of shoe cobblers in the US and they quoted around $300 for a JR resole, not including shipping.

$300 USD? Wow. Which cobblers? I've used a few in US and their prices ranged from 120 to 250 USD. Award winning cobblers as well.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked Clobbers Plus and they quoted $285 USD.

Actually the other person i asked was Corey at Fix-em-up and he quoted me $320 for JR resole with blind stitch including return shipping.

Ah, blind stitching is very expensive.

Check out McFarland shoe repair in Florida for blind stitch:

Also, Martin Sugg in Thunder Bay (Timeless shoe repair. I have reviews on his work) can also do blind stitch. Not sure of his prices, but I do know it's time consuming and not every cobbler can do it.

I mean, there are cobblers in Toronto who can't even replace the leather sole properly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads