• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

burgerkong

Reaction score
In the budget selvedge denim arena, I'm (was) a big fan of Uniqlo, albeit I think their denim has changed over the years and the later batches no longer fade like they used to (and if I'm not mistaken, went down to something like 11oz from 14oz).

These both started out as raw denim, been fixed countless times and I was experimenting with darting them. Fit is tough, I think I spend longer trying to dial in the fit than actually looking at branding most of the time. Don't shy away from tailoring. Obviously wash your denim too once you've started to set your fades. Also common misconception: the roping at the hem isn't due to chain stitching, but rather the differential feed - the top piece of denim is pulled at a different tension than the bottom.

20210123_124508.jpg 20210123_124435.jpg 20210123_124304.jpg 20210123_124213.jpg

burgerkong

Reaction score
In other news, local-ish store is once again having a sale. Some decent prices all round.

enn_ui

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a tailor for alternations? Either in RHill/Markham area or DT. Thanks. I tried searching through this thread but no look. Feel free to PM me.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a tailor for alternations? Either in RHill/Markham area or DT. Thanks. I tried searching through this thread but no look. Feel free to PM me.
Bucharest Tailor- Resh is the best!! 429 Eglinton West. I live in Markham but they are all butchers here. If you have minor alterations fine otherwise just go see Resh

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have zero problem with Xavier, despite people claim he's not a nice guy. Just don't use him if you got a cheap jacket or to hem your pants - that's when you use guys like Magic Tailor.

burgerkong

Reaction score
I have zero problem with Xavier, despite people claim he's not a nice guy. Just don't use him if you got a cheap jacket or to hem your pants - that's when you use guys like Magic Tailor.

Same here, Xavier's been good for me as well.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of the gents here also love selvedge. The boots are WM Moorby by Canada West.

Finally received my Canadian made Kaihara mill selvedge. I really like these. I also recently bought a pair from Gap and even their slim fit are sloppy on me. 2 pairs of Gustin are on the way, so I will see how they fit.

The jean maker, Rory, was great to deal with. For the price, the stitching, consistency of craftsmanship, and quality of selvedge, these are great value.

20210203_083107.jpg
20210203_091633.jpg
20210203_083225.jpg

chiggyv

Reaction score
Looks like Brooks Brothers has finally launched a Canadian site with prices in CDN. Haven't really looked to see how competitive the pricing is yet...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210204-133800_Relay Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210204-133800_Relay Pro.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 335

maebach

Reaction score
Looks like Brooks Brothers has finally launched a Canadian site with prices in CDN. Haven't really looked to see how competitive the pricing is yet...

Interesting. Funny how they went through bankruptcy 6 months ago and now have a Canadian site. Guess old management didnt care for the Canadian market...

chiggyv

Reaction score
Interesting. Funny how they went through bankruptcy 6 months ago and now have a Canadian site. Guess old management didnt care for the Canadian market...

Agreed, but more options for us!

I always hated shopping online and getting surprised by the price in store so this a nice change.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The issue with their physical store downtown is that it's right next to a lot of other options. Why spend $1200 on a suit here when you can shop around and maybe get persuaded to buy for $1500 somewhere else?

An online store means they have your exclusive attention for a while, so it can help.

The downside is that shoppers looking for an experience may not ever buy from there, but no one's getting into real stores right now anyway.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Years ago I was a loyal BB guy and I was buying all their shirts, pants, sports coats, etc etc etc during their boxing day and corporate sales. Then slowly they jacked the prices up and only offer corp sales on certain items. Their customer service was taking a toll as well with the SA unwilling to order stuff in for me, saying "oh this is not available from our Canadian warehouse" or "This item is only on sale on bb.com and not on Canadian retail stores", etc etc etc.

Even though I stopped spending there, I still get those email coupons from brooksbrothers.com which I was unable to use locally. I spoke to the Bloor St. store about this and they couldn't do a thing except to tell me to complain to corporate which of course they did nothing.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought laces from the site. 5 bucks plus free shipping. Damn! It came quickly too. 3 days tops

TimothyF

Reaction score
I know a lot of the gents here also love selvedge. The boots are WM Moorby by Canada West.

Finally received my Canadian made Kaihara mill selvedge. I really like these. I also recently bought a pair from Gap and even their slim fit are sloppy on me. 2 pairs of Gustin are on the way, so I will see how they fit.

The jean maker, Rory, was great to deal with. For the price, the stitching, consistency of craftsmanship, and quality of selvedge, these are great value.

View attachment 1548370 View attachment 1548371 View attachment 1548372

Thank you for bringing this maker to my attention. I probably wouldn't have know without your post. Do you know if Rory can customize the measurements? I prefer a roomier fit myself.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for bringing this maker to my attention. I probably wouldn't have know without your post. Do you know if Rory can customize the measurements? I prefer a roomier fit myself.

Always happy to share my experiences. You'd have to talk to Rory yourself. I know she will hem for free. She's really cool, and nice to deal with. Let us know if she will customize fit for you. I'd like to buy another pair. I really like the fit.

The Gap pair is so sloppy. I will wear them around the house.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads