• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Don't know where esle to put this.
Decent price (if you need/want one) and for a good cause.
Wings + Horns Save 40% on Cabin Fleece robes and help us donate blankets to the homeless. Good till March 30, 2020.

EddieK

Reaction score
Quick question for those of you who have bought online from Europe:
I know CETA means there are no duty fees added. But does this mean there will be no additional costs or fees at all?
Will I still get charged CAD tax on top of the seller already charging VAT or tax in Europe?
I never buy from Europe so this is all new to me.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
CDN taxes, courier fees are all fair game. They should not be charging you VAT if they're shipping from Europe. I've been asking the stores to indicate the origin of the product and that it's being shipped from Europe, and that due to CETA there should not be any duties. Customs has charged me duties for items that should be exempt. Even tho you can requrest a refudn they take their sweet time with it.

I know CETA means there are no duty fees added. But does this mean there will be no additional costs or fees at all?
Will I still get charged CAD tax on top of the seller already charging VAT or tax in Europe?

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes to Canadian taxes and courier fee. I've never bought from a retailer that doesn't deduct vat (and wouldn't). All my shipments came via DHL and everything was up to snuff.

yusufhar

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I don't really like to do political posts but as a healthcare worker, I feel compelled to do so. If this is too inflammatory mods are welcome to remove it. The current US administration is pressurizing 3M into not supplying N95 masks to Canada and Doug Ford's has stated that 3 million masks were blocked from coming into the border. These masks are critical to protecting healthcare workers and our broader fight against COVID. As far as I have seen in our Ontario hospitals 3M is the sole supplier of N95 masks and I applaud them for trying not to succumb to pressure from the US administration. However, these latest actions to block masks from entering Ontario presents a direct threat to my own safety, my co-workers and the broader Canadian public. While I have many friends, family members that are from the U.S. and there are some incredible American businesses and manufacturing companies on this site I do not think we as Canadians can sit back and not take action. I hope you will reconsider, as most of my friends and family members are, all non-essential purchasing of U.S. products. On a positive note data in Ontario does appear to suggest that our social distancing is having some effect, so keep up the good work.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I don't really like to do political posts but as a healthcare worker, I feel compelled to do so. If this is too inflammatory mods are welcome to remove it. The current US administration is pressurizing 3M into not supplying N95 masks to Canada and Doug Ford's has stated that 3 million masks were blocked from coming into the border. These masks are critical to protecting healthcare workers and our broader fight against COVID. As far as I have seen in our Ontario hospitals 3M is the sole supplier of N95 masks and I applaud them for trying not to succumb to pressure from the US administration. However, these latest actions to block masks from entering Ontario presents a direct threat to my own safety, my co-workers and the broader Canadian public. While I have many friends, family members that are from the U.S. and there are some incredible American businesses and manufacturing companies on this site I do not think we as Canadians can sit back and not take action. I hope you will reconsider, as most of my friends and family members are, all non-essential purchasing of U.S. products. On a positive note data in Ontario does appear to suggest that our social distancing is having some effect, so keep up the good work.
I'm not clear on what you're point is here.........what action are you asking SF members to take?

yusufhar

Reaction score
Canadian SF members should not buy US product. While I know it’s not the fault of US companies, this is akin to stabbing your comrade in arms to take his lone pistol. We cannot continue to buy from them as if nothing has happened.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canadian SF members should not buy US product. While I know it’s not the fault of US companies, this is akin to stabbing your comrade in arms to take his lone pistol. We cannot continue to buy from them as if nothing has happened.
good luck with this.........

yusufhar

Reaction score
I agree my suggestion sounds extreme and I may not have luck with convincing other Canadian members. I just wanted to inform fellow Canadian members of this egregiously wrong action of our closest ally and trading partner. Whatever they choose is up to them.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody purchased a pH balanced leather cleaner (Nick 4, Lexol) or saddle soap locally? I want to help out a local business if possible, before turning to Amazon. I know it'll be tricky, given the current circumstances. (Amazon.ca doesn't seem to have a great selection anyway.)

Or (at the risk of sounding like I'm not social distancing), if anybody has some and is willing to lend it, let me know!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody purchased a pH balanced leather cleaner (Nick 4, Lexol) or saddle soap locally? I want to help out a local business if possible, before turning to Amazon. I know it'll be tricky, given the current circumstances. (Amazon.ca doesn't seem to have a great selection anyway.)

Or (at the risk of sounding like I'm not social distancing), if anybody has some and is willing to lend it, let me know!

I know this is outside Toronto, but most cobblers would carry a few different brands of leather conditioner.

Fix em up shoe repair in Barrie carries Bick 4. If you want Lexol or anything else, just call ahead and ask him to make an order.

standaloneprotein

Reaction score

Agree. Buying locally helps your neighbour. Don't complain later the government is not doing their best for Canadians.

Either way, there is no point in buying anything IMO. We don't know how long social isolation will last at this point.

EddieK

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thought I'd put this here for the Ontario fam. Suitsupply has an outlet sale in Canada, (apparently first time in over a year). Use Passcode: BIGOUTLET
http://suitsupply.com/outlet

P.S Some great deals to be had. I saw a fully canvassed suit for $330 CAD...

Edit: I want to add, I didn't see the prior posts so I know this post looks kind of a troll douche move, but it's unintentional. :laugh:

Last edited:

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thought I'd put this here for the Ontario fam. Suitsupply has an outlet sale in Canada, (apparently first time in over a year). Use Passcode: BIGOUTLET
http://suitsupply.com/outlet

P.S Some great deals to be had. I saw a fully canvassed suit for $330 CAD...

Edit: I want to add, I didn't see the prior posts so I know this post looks kind of a troll douche move, but it's unintentional. :laugh:
No offense taken :) I checked the Suitsupply website to see what they have as well.

yusufhar

Reaction score
It looks like the withholding of the masks at the border was solved. I want to apologize if I offended anyone with my don't buy U.S. product rant. It's hard to keep stay levelheaded when you realize the incompetent leadership south of the border can directly impact you. I hope you all are doing well and keeping safe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads