• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
Nick's and Rob's, you can drop your shoes at Loding in FCP and they can send it to Nick's for you.

I personally will choose Nick's over Rob's. Based on experience of at least 3 pairs with each
Thanks for the info! Do they use Lulu or Triumph plates by any chance?

xchen176

Reaction score
The SA at Yorkdale was completely clueless when I asked for LP fabric upgrade and they couldn't find the fabric book. Apparently nobody buys suits after 5pm on a Friday.

Is Holland & Sherry a worthwhile upgrade over Loro Piana? SA had no clue about exact cost difference either.

They are pretty bad.

I asked the SA if Samuelsohn MTM is full or half canvas and they couldn’t answer that.

chiggyv

Reaction score
Will do!

Since there seems to be interest I've attached the repairs I require. This is a pair of 3Sixteen+ 30BSP that has served me for 3+ years and has had the crotch repaired once. Some may suggest I should let go of them but they fit perfectly and it's a shame to see them go to waste.

Specifically, there are 2 holes (front and back) on each leg at hem, a couple areas to darn at the crotch, and repair to be made at the perimeter of the previous patch (done by Ben Viapiana).

I have heard back from Denim Doctor, who has quoted $40 total ($5 per hole, $10 to repair the patch).

I will reach out to Studio Kim and Sydney's for quotes.

Shopped this repair around to Denim Doctor, Dutil, Sydney's, and Magic Tailor. All communication was done by providing detailed photos via email. All replied within 24 hours.

Denim Doctor: $20 for crotch repair, $20 for hem repair

By far the most responsive and ultimately the one I went with.

Magic Tailor: $25 for crotch repair, $20 for hem repair

Expressed that how Ben Viapiana had gone about the previous repair was shoddy, suggesting the full crotch should have been reinforced as opposed to the patchwork repair.

Sydney's: $58 ++ crotch repair only

Didn't provide a firm quote, suggested there may be further costs involved but could not quantify when pushed.

Dutil: $50 crotch repair, $20 hem repair

They price repairs based on dividing the crotch into 4 areas which increased the price on this.

Winner: Doctor Denim

Easy dropoff in the Financial District and 2 day turnaround. Great customer service via email. I did end up opting for a crotch repair only to keep costs down for this beater pair. Will post pics with the end result.

maebach

Reaction score
This is a pair of Allen Edmonds rebuilt by Rob's Best Foot Forward. Pic from member of Allen Edmonds Facebook group.

I will NEVER EVER use Rob. The stitching work is incredibly sloppy, which makes me question the work that I cannot see (e.g. corking).

If anyone had doubts about a decent cobbler IN Toronto.... well, this confirms it.

I will keep shipping my shoes out for rebuild work. This is disgraceful.
I went yesterday as I had some heel slippage. I asked what could be done and he immediately put some pads on and asked for $10. I was pretty shocked as he didnt ask before putting them on. Anyways, they work, so I'm not angry, but it's still annoying....

Problem is Nicks is too far for small work if you factor in the uber/TTC. For major work it's probably worth it to send to better shops

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went yesterday as I had some heel slippage. I asked what could be done and he immediately put some pads on and asked for $10. I was pretty shocked as he didnt ask before putting them on. Anyways, they work, so I'm not angry, but it's still annoying....

Problem is Nicks is too far for small work if you factor in the uber/TTC. For major work it's probably worth it to send to better shops

I know Rob and Nick have their loyal fans so I will not comment further. I have found some great cobblers in Canada so I will continue to use them.

I will be trying out Andrew Morden from Ambros shoe repair in Saskatoon soon. He comes recommended from the cobblers I trust.

Pablo Hadarits at Dimar shoe repair in Guelph also seems to do really good work.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If what he gave you is tongue pad, you can get this yourself in the future:

Better quality, better looking, slightly more expensive. usually used to fix low instep issue.

BTW, I totally feel you, he always say "leave it with me" without giving me a quote, though most of time he can fix it, it does make me feel uncomfortable.

Note: I got tons of the heel grips, if anyone wants some, let's say a coffee for two pairs:) Pickup locally at financial district haha.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If what he gave you is tongue pad, you can get this yourself in the future:

Better quality, better looking, slightly more expensive. usually used to fix low instep issue.

BTW, I totally feel you, he always say "leave it with me" without giving me a quote, though most of time he can fix it, it does make me feel uncomfortable.

I am not trying to be condescending. But if you've had more than one negative experience, why go back?

I tried one cobbler in Etobicoke and didn't like the full rebuild. Will only use him for topy work going forward. I have returned to the other cobblers that I do like.

All of the cobblers that I like always give an upfront estimate. And if things change, they let me know right away.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to be condescending. But if you've had more than one negative experience, why go back?

I tried one cobbler in Etobicoke and didn't like the full rebuild. Will only use him for topy work going forward. I have returned to the other cobblers that I do like.

All of the cobblers that I like always give an upfront estimate. And if things change, they let me know right away.
Well, if I find a better alternative, I will not use him again, otherwise, at least I know I can get some stuff fixed there, trying other cobbler has some opportunity cost that I don't want to risk...

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if I find a better alternative, I will not use him again, otherwise, at least I know I can get some stuff fixed there, trying other cobbler has some opportunity cost that I don't want to risk...

If you're willing to ship within Canada, I have used some award winning cobblers that do amazing work.

For some reason, I don't think Toronto has even one reputable decent cobbler. The closest are Corey Hiltz in Barrie and Gary Coakley in London.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're willing to ship within Canada, I have used some award winning cobblers that do amazing work.

For some reason, I don't think Toronto has even one reputable decent cobbler. The closest are Corey Hiltz in Barrie and Gary Coakley in London.
Thanks. Usually what I need is toe plate and some starching job, so unlikely be willing to pay the shipping..

burgerkong

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Do they use Lulu or Triumph plates by any chance?

Nick's uses Lulu, $35 vs $45 at Loding that just takes your shoes to Nick's

20200125_134356.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics