• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dwhitman

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on some Loakes for somewhere in that price point ($500 sometning). Best thing I could find. The guy at Woolridge shoes in Commerce Court can order anything in and is nice enough to deal with.

TOstyle

Reaction score
Any of you guys bought any Jack Irwins? Need some boots for the winter, and I'll probably beat the stuffing out of them, so would rather spend in the $200 range than the $500.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheaney isn't flashy enough for Holts. That's also a reason why as RogerP pointed out that Harry Rosen carries clown shoes. Well made classic footwear isn't popular with menswear retailers in Toronto and by extension Canada. There's very much equating brand name i.e. Canali, Boss etc. equals quality. Personally I rather take either Cheaney or Crockett and Jones if given access to it.

Keep in mind that it's not just Canada. If you go to London, England not everybody is wearing Cleverley Bespoke. The issue in Canada is the retail pricing model.

Holt's was selling Cheaney for $750+HST. It's a solid mid range model at a higher range price. You can order it from the UK for almost half the price.

Better local option is Brooks Brothers since they offer frequent discounts. Meaning, you can get a solid mid range shoe at a mid range price.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Arne left Leatherfoot?  I haven't been in awhile since they haven't had much stock.  Was not expecting that.  Anyone know where he went or what happened?

Arne's a Manager, Business Administration & CIMS-GB Compliance at Waterford Services. Nikki's now a Clothing Advisor at Harry Rosen.

TOstyle

Reaction score
Keep in mind that it's not just Canada. If you go to London, England not everybody is wearing Cleverley Bespoke. The issue in Canada is the retail pricing model.

Holt's was selling Cheaney for $750+HST. It's a solid mid range model at a higher range price. You can order it from the UK for almost half the price.

Better local option is Brooks Brothers since they offer frequent discounts. Meaning, you can get a solid mid range shoe at a mid range price.
Agree with this. Though after getting a couple of staples at BB, you are SOL as there isn't much more to buy.

ryanginger

Reaction score
Any recommendations for alterations near downtown? I have a few jackets with slight collar gap that I'd like tweaked. I'm not expecting major surgery on these.

I'm sure this has been asked before in the thread, but know quality changes over time and a lot of places come and go. Thanks for any suggestions.

CutandSew

Reaction score
PSA - NWT Mainline Corneliani suits at the Heartland Town Centre Marshalls for $300 a pop in the clearance section as of 2:30 PM today. Size 54 and 52 EU, both drop 7, IIRC. 54 suit is light grey with blue and beige micro pinstripes. The 52 is grey plaid with a bit of purple. I almost bought the 52, but didn't have time to try the pants nor wait in line to pay because I had to pick someone up at the airport. The jacket fit me well and I normally wear 50 EU. May you gain from my aversion to long lines at the register. Oh, and they're both 2 button single breasted.

On a related note, lots of Corneliani at the Harry Rosen outlet, but so-so in terms of price. $399-$499 for jackets and $699+ for suits.

Last edited:

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's what drives me nuts with local pricing, what's mid market elsewhere becomes "luxury" here. Talking to Ivor at Woolridge Shoes a few months back, he plans to have Cheaney in around the $600 range when he starts carrying the line. Now truth of the matter it's probably a $500 and change shoe but you can thank currency fluctuations and whatever the tariff is on shoes made outside of North America ( I would not hold your breath with the EU free trade agreement,that's going to be phased in over a few years) to protect the minuscule Canadian footwear industry.

Last edited:

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any recommendations for alterations near downtown? I have a few jackets with slight collar gap that I'd like tweaked. I'm not expecting major surgery on these.

I'm sure this has been asked before in the thread, but know quality changes over time and a lot of places come and go. Thanks for any suggestions.

Tello & Sons in FCP. Awesome old italian dude is the house tailor.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jean Paul near Yonge and Lawrence, ans.Antonios in the Esplanade.

rwtc

Reaction score
Could someone that has ordered shoes from Meermin share their shipping experience? I purchased two pairs that should arrive in a few weeks and they combined the $35 shipping fee for me, but I bet there's going to be hefty duties to pay
musicboohoo[1].gif

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could someone that has ordered shoes from Meermin share their shipping experience? I purchased two pairs that should arrive in a few weeks and they combined the $35 shipping fee for me, but I bet there's going to be hefty duties to pay 
musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

You will based on other Canadians in the meermin thread. Approx 100$ per pair.

rwtc

Reaction score
You will based on other Canadians in the meermin thread. Approx 100$ per pair.

Are you talking about the gentleman who paid about $60 in duties for two belts valued at $100? I can't seem to find much about Meermin

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads