The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

True. IIRC they are still doing "Magnanni by Holts" which is funny because Magnanni, while a nice make, is < Cheaney IMO.

2. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

I wonder if Nordstrom coming to Toronto might add some decent options...

3. Dwhitman

Dwhitman Member

About to pull the trigger on some Loakes for somewhere in that price point ($500 sometning). Best thing I could find. The guy at Woolridge shoes in Commerce Court can order anything in and is nice enough to deal with.

4. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Any of you guys bought any Jack Irwins? Need some boots for the winter, and I'll probably beat the stuffing out of them, so would rather spend in the $200 range than the $500.

5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Keep in mind that it's not just Canada. If you go to London, England not everybody is wearing Cleverley Bespoke. The issue in Canada is the retail pricing model.

Holt's was selling Cheaney for $750+HST. It's a solid mid range model at a higher range price. You can order it from the UK for almost half the price.

Better local option is Brooks Brothers since they offer frequent discounts. Meaning, you can get a solid mid range shoe at a mid range price.

6. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Arne's a Manager, Business Administration & CIMS-GB Compliance at Waterford Services. Nikki's now a Clothing Advisor at Harry Rosen.

7. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Agree with this. Though after getting a couple of staples at BB, you are SOL as there isn't much more to buy.

8. ryanginger

ryanginger Member

Any recommendations for alterations near downtown? I have a few jackets with slight collar gap that I'd like tweaked. I'm not expecting major surgery on these.

I'm sure this has been asked before in the thread, but know quality changes over time and a lot of places come and go. Thanks for any suggestions.

9. CutandSew

CutandSew Senior member

PSA - NWT Mainline Corneliani suits at the Heartland Town Centre Marshalls for $300 a pop in the clearance section as of 2:30 PM today. Size 54 and 52 EU, both drop 7, IIRC. 54 suit is light grey with blue and beige micro pinstripes. The 52 is grey plaid with a bit of purple. I almost bought the 52, but didn't have time to try the pants nor wait in line to pay because I had to pick someone up at the airport. The jacket fit me well and I normally wear 50 EU. May you gain from my aversion to long lines at the register. Oh, and they're both 2 button single breasted.

On a related note, lots of Corneliani at the Harry Rosen outlet, but so-so in terms of price. $399-$499 for jackets and $699+ for suits.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015

10. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

That's what drives me nuts with local pricing, what's mid market elsewhere becomes "luxury" here. Talking to Ivor at Woolridge Shoes a few months back, he plans to have Cheaney in around the $600 range when he starts carrying the line. Now truth of the matter it's probably a $500 and change shoe but you can thank currency fluctuations and whatever the tariff is on shoes made outside of North America ( I would not hold your breath with the EU free trade agreement,that's going to be phased in over a few years) to protect the minuscule Canadian footwear industry.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015

11. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Tello & Sons in FCP. Awesome old italian dude is the house tailor.

12. tricky

tricky Senior member

Jean Paul near Yonge and Lawrence, ans.Antonios in the Esplanade.

13. rwtc

rwtc Senior member

Could someone that has ordered shoes from Meermin share their shipping experience? I purchased two pairs that should arrive in a few weeks and they combined the $35 shipping fee for me, but I bet there's going to be hefty duties to pay [​IMG]

14. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

You will based on other Canadians in the meermin thread. Approx 100$ per pair.

15. rwtc

rwtc Senior member

Are you talking about the gentleman who paid about $60 in duties for two belts valued at $100? I can't seem to find much about Meermin