• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of narrow, Loding is entirely useless for a good fit on us wide footers. "EE"? Forget about it.

jokb

Reaction score
Speaking of narrow, Loding is entirely useless for a good fit on us wide footers. "EE"? Forget about it.

Yep, I agree. I asked for their widest shoes and couldn't get my foot on 'em.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you figure out size without trying them on? Can they advise on whether a certain pair fits more tight than another? Personally, I have shoes ranging in size from 43 to 45 so I'd be worried about ordering without trying them on.
I was really impressed with J Fitz Shoes when I tried at Leatherfoot. FWIW I take a 9D Allen Ed 65 last. 8UK in J Fitz is too big, there is a size comparison on his thread. Dropping to 7,5UK was a great snug fit for me.
His last has a higher instep than the 65 last and a bit more forefoot width, see the thread for pictures to confirm for yourself. Apparently all his lasts are the same fit with different toe shapes. If you are a D or E fitting (US) you should be okay.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was really impressed with J Fitz Shoes when I tried at Leatherfoot.  FWIW I take a 9D Allen Ed 65 last.  8UK in J Fitz is too big, there is a size comparison on his thread.  Dropping to 7,5UK was a great snug fit for me.  
His last has a higher instep than the 65 last and a bit more forefoot width, see the thread for pictures to confirm for yourself.   Apparently all his lasts are the same fit with different toe shapes. If you are a D or E fitting (US) you should be okay.  

Fitz shoes are on sale at LF for about $200 (?). They had nice wingtips, but didn't work with my low instep.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$250. There is 1 in my size I am thinking about. Windermere, black calf. Also a pair of Tan grain chukkas in 8UK. At least there was last week.

Dwhitman

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be anything left (as per the website). I checked out Woolridge Shoes (Loake) at lunch. Right in my price point but the very classic look. We'll see...

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be anything left (as per the website). I checked out Woolridge Shoes (Loake) at lunch. Right in my price point but the very classic look. We'll see...

Their website hasn't been updated since the summer. Unless they have sold out since their last mass e-mail, they still have a few pairs of J. Fitzpatrick and Rider Boot Co. in stock.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Should have posted this question in this thread so here I go: I was recently looking at buying a pair Carmina shoes from Leatherfoot but they don't carry the style I wanted anymore. Do you guys have any recommandations of shoes that I can find in Toronto in that price range (around $500)? I guess there's Allen Edmonds. What about Loding, I know they're cheaper but how do they stack up? Anything else comes to mind?
Thanks.

I asked something similar back on page 5. Lots of good recommendations in the following posts. Still haven't bought those damned medium brown shoes...

Bjorling

Reaction score

My friend has a pair he loves. Some pretty good leathers from what Ive handled.

All blake tho IIRC ...and TBH I never liked the name! lol

Id go for an on-sale pair only.

I have 2 pairs of To Boot and agree they're worth it only if on sale a lot, like at least 50% off. Their quality seems to be variable from shoe to shoe.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Headed to Buffalo tmrw on family errand.

Best Niagara or esp. Buffalo area outlet mall? I am told despite a 75cent CAD deep discounts can mean a deal is still to be had...question is: which mall is best?

Thanks gents!

Reaction score
you're in luck, StC and Leatherfoot are running their trunk show this weekend.
I suggest you call and find out, Carr is in the house til Saturday.

Thank you. Called, got voicemail. I left a message. No response was received.

Anyhow, I now have my shoes. They are magnificent.

But ... I was told six to eight weeks. It was nineteen weeks. There was ZERO communication from the store about this delay. I really don't understand it. The issue may have been out of their hands, but they are the vendor, so receiving a brief statement, email or telephone, that the shoes were delayed would have been appreciated.

Most businesses seem to know that attracting customers costs much more than retaining them. The in store experience was excellent, the product is excellent - so why not make a small investment in communicating with customers waiting on orders?

P.S. Before I leave California, I hope I get chance to visit the Costa Mesa John Lobb! Has anyone visited?

ryanginger

Reaction score
Didn't see this until this morning: http://www.torontovintageclothingshow.ca/

Yesterday and today at the Ex. I assume it's 90% women's stuff, but the page highlights some men's vendors. I'm not a big fan of paying admission for a chance to plow throgh crowds and hopefully buy things,but some here may be interested.

Happy Sunday.

TOstyle

Reaction score

Didn't see this until this morning: http://www.torontovintageclothingshow.ca/

Yesterday and today at the Ex. I assume it's 90% women's stuff, but the page highlights some men's vendors. I'm not a big fan of paying admission for a chance to plow throgh crowds and hopefully buy things,but some here may be interested.

Happy Sunday.

I went the yesterday, I was looking for some furniture pieces. There was so decent mid-century stuff, then then bunch of women's jewelry and homeware on that side. Then half of the space . Vintage clothing, but almost entirely female. One vendor was specifically dudes stuff, but but rest was women's fur coats and dresses a stuff. think you've got got lady they'd appreciate that, but if you're going for yourself I'd say it's not worth it.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leatherfoot report:

So I finally pulled the trigger on the sale price burgundy-brown Ron Rider boots.

I ended up going down to US10.5E for a snugger fit so there's still one last of this exact one in US11E. $460+HST..was once $760+HST!

I was almost the typical guy who walks out having spent twice what was planned, since these gorgeous Carminas in more of an orangey brown shell were $900+HST..FYI im told all new Carmina boots will be 1)no more shell and 2)$1400 and up. US11..one of you guys should snag.

Finally, the six brands they will have by the time it's snowing are

John Lobb
Carmina
St. Crispin's
Crockett & Jones
Alden
Edward Green

There were already some EG on the shelves. And yes, still a couple black brogued J. Fitzy's on sale in smaller sizes too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads