The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Dwhitman

Dwhitman Member

Definitely looking for an in person fitting as it would likely be a new brand of shoes for me (upgrading from previous stuff I used to wear).

As for style, here's the ones I had my eye on from Leatherfoot:

http://www.leatherfoot.com/store/rain-last-negro/dp/77

But I'm not picky, just looking for nice dress shoes (although I realize that these ones could also have been worn more casual).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015

2. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

I bought those in shell from LF. Theyre sick.

Carmina > AE/Loding

AE vs Loding is pretty matched.

3. stanchri

stanchri Senior member

I think this has been mentioned before, but with the new Carmina prices at Leatherfoot a better option would be going with a pair of Vass from @jokb . Keep in mind those also come with lasted shoe trees.

4. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior member

Do they have the black Simpson captoe in your size? Maybe give that a try and see if the Simpson last works for you, and they seem to have the black captoe in stock.

5. jokb

jokb Senior member

Thanks stanchri. The lasted shoe trees do offer good value as I believe shoe trees (not lasted) from Carmina cost around $80 if I remember correctly.

6. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

many answers here.
    Can anyone confirm $ WRT Loding presently? There site still says $330 (haven't been to the new Sherway location yet) but they would be half what it would cost for Carmina ATM.
    However styling might not be to everyones taste, BUT I think for that pricepoint it's worth a shot. Mine have held up quite well, but then again it's only somewhat in my regular rotation.
    Personally not a fan of AE, but that's my take on them, as others here love them.

Otherwise, as Cityplace said, if you know your sizing, Carmina can be ordered online from a few places, but YMMV for your budget.

Now that I've seen your link, I think if you can swing a few bucks more speak to JOKB, and depending on your size he might have something similar to that whole cut...

7. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

yes that's what they were in the spring last I checked.

8. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

I'd call Loding and ask if they have a Black wholecut. They are your best bet for the price range you are after, or order them online and take your chances with size.
    Meermin also has a black whole cut, would run you about $375-400 delivered. Maybe not the best value curently with the USD and you would be guessing on sizing again.

Vass are excellent & @jokb is great to deal with. But its a lot more $ than what you are asking for here. Maybe worth it if you are after a great black staple shoe you can keep for 10 years+

9. Dwhitman

Dwhitman Member

Thanks for all the responses. Anyone tried To Boot at Harry Rosen? They're in the $400 to $500 range.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015

10. SirReveller

My friend has a pair he loves. Some pretty good leathers from what Ive handled.

All blake tho IIRC ...and TBH I never liked the name! lol

Id go for an on-sale pair only.

11. stanchri

stanchri Senior member

You might also want to look into J.Fitzpatrick. There now seems to be free shipping to Canada from their website. Leatherfoot used to have stock, not sure if they do anymore.

12. SirReveller

LF has dumped J. Fitzy...he's most or entirely online now I was told.

13. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

I was just about to suggest Justin. I'm very happy with my first pair of shoes from him though the strength of the GBP works against you.

14. Dwhitman

Dwhitman Member

How do you figure out size without trying them on? Can they advise on whether a certain pair fits more tight than another? Personally, I have shoes ranging in size from 43 to 45 so I'd be worried about ordering without trying them on.

15. jokb

jokb Senior member

If you have narrow feet, Justin's shoes would work well for you. Because I have wide feet, I couldn't fit into any of the lasts back then.